Where do foreigners fit in the Thai hierarchy?

28 minutes ago, thainet said:

What a load of rubbish. Obviously you have no self esteem and so you expect to be treated like that. Sad.

Obviously you have no sense of humor.

My Thai wife and I have been married for ten years. 7 of those years we have lived very close to her family. When they speak to each other and com to mention, me they always say farang, not in a bad way, but still. I have said to my wife, "hey, I have a name. I do not call you thai so stop calling me farang". Nothing changed.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Parsve said:

My Thai wife and I have been married for ten years. 7 of those years we have lived very close to her family. When they speak to each other and com to mention, me they always say farang, not in a bad way, but still. I have said to my wife, "hey, I have a name. I do not call you thai so stop calling me farang". Nothing changed.

That is just pure ignorance and laziness on their part. 

Bob. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/26/2024 at 2:41 AM, ChaiyaTH said:

Correct, even you would somehow obtain Thai nationality, you would still be the 'foreigner' if it comes to how Thais will deal with you.

You would have to be very naive to think you would be accepted as a "Naturalised Thai" no matter how long you live or speak thai or can sing the national anthem (in thai) in the kingdom, Besides that you got to have a very low self esteem of yourself and where you come from so just accept your always be "Johnny foreigner" and wipe your mouth with it and stop talking nonsense!!!

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, HammerGuy said:

You would have to be very naive to think you would be accepted as a "Naturalised Thai" no matter how long you live or speak thai or can sing the national anthem (in thai) in the kingdom, Besides that you got to have a very low self esteem of yourself and where you come from so just accept your always be "Johnny foreigner" and wipe your mouth with it and stop talking nonsense!!!

I take it you're just another grumpy old retiree who can never in his wildest dreams hope to have the prestigious Blue ID card in his wallet?

Never mind!

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I take it you're just another grumpy old retiree who can never in his wildest dreams hope to have the prestigious Blue ID card in his wallet?

Never mind!

bob.

Wow I've never been called old considering I bet I'm a lot younger than you, You sound a right melt !!

Just now, HammerGuy said:

Wow I've never been called old considering I bet I'm a lot younger than you, You sound a right melt !!

I'll melt you if you carry on sonny jim!

bob.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Thais are very proud and consider anyone outside... as outside. It's very xenophobic, but that's to be expected in a country 50 years behind the West.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Thais are very proud and consider anyone outside... as outside. It's very xenophobic, but that's to be expected in a country 50 years behind the West.

what are they proud of exactly?

I struggle to find anything that Thailand has offered to the world that has enhanced civilization and is worthy of being proud about.

bob.

19 minutes ago, bob smith said:

what are they proud of exactly?

I struggle to find anything that Thailand has offered to the world that has enhanced civilization and is worthy of being proud about.

bob.

I agree... but there it is. It was instilled from an early age, but we can say no more - I hope it changes.

9 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

but we can say no more

I can and do say more.

They need to know their real position on the world stage.

I remind mrs. smith daily.

bob.

57 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I can and do say more.

They need to know their real position on the world stage.

I remind mrs. smith daily.

bob.

And just where do you think thailands position is on the world stage??

On 5/26/2024 at 1:27 PM, ChumpChange said:

Another point very often less discussed are the benefits of being and remaining an outsider.

This.

We enjoy all the benefits of Thailand -cheap-everything, access to women, freedom, no traditional hang-ups- without the downside.

And then we can select Thai friends and partners that are comfortable/amenable with that.

Amateur demographer, Mike Lister, puts the expat population at about 200,000, so a third of a percent of the total population. Unless you're in one of six places where westerners congregate, Thai's haven't met enough westerners to have much more than a very superficial opinion about us.

I think they see us as giant, spoiled babies: we need special food, to have everything done for us, can't even communicate.

On 5/26/2024 at 9:35 AM, NorthernRyland said:

But Thai people haven't been brainwashed with multicultural BS since birth like everyone in the West. Thai nationality means having Thai parents, not a piece of government issued paper. This is why you can't fit in to their thing, it's an ethnic group, basically one big extended family.

Translation    an Asian (Thai)   would be accepted as an American  if they obtained their citizenship  and would not be gawked at as if they are an alien .(Multicultural BS  indeed)     in Thailand   we are farangs   from the first day to the last.

On 5/26/2024 at 9:00 AM, CharlieH said:

Mmm, well, how will they know anything about you unless they get to know you and then I am sure you will enlighten them as to your financial postion etc and well you have done. Until that happens, you are just another "visitor" an immigrant white man who could just as well be on the bones of his ar** and scraping by on a minimal pension.

How you would be viewed ?, as most people do, you make an assessment based on first impression, behaviour , dress, interaction. You are however a foreigner, and dependent on the what interaction that person has had with foreigners will color their perception. That could be good or bad.

Its upto you how people perceive you and where they place you based on what you do or say, not necessarily on what you have, just like any other society. (mostly)

"Its upto you how people perceive you and where they place you based on what you do or say, not necessarily on what you have, just like any other society. (mostly)"

I think this is really true.

If you have a chip on your shoulder cuz you never went to university and you wear you status anxiety on your sleeve, (talking about a hypothetical person of course), your behavior could be off-putting just as a matter of you as an individual.

If you are insufferable due to your attitudes and behavior then your place in a social hierarchy is not really an issue.

And let me emphasize that I have been at great pains to say "IF".

True that we will never be considered khon thai. If you live in Bangkok , Pattays, etc. then you are just a resource to be cynically exploited. But in Isaan .... we are more appreciated. 14 years in Udon Thani and have never suffered farang pricing in shops or overt discrimination (unlike my experinces from just about 10 days in Bangkok). Probably because Isaan people know what it is like to be considered imferior.

My wife's father was a pooyai baan and well.respected. but when she went to work in Bangkok, 10 years in a responsible job and never a promotion or a pay rise, new workers got the same money. She realised that she was not respected. She returned to Isaan and opened a shop. Her sisterfound the same. Result - both married farang.

• Like 1