Bus accident tragically kills elderly man on Chaeng Watthana Road

snoop1130

เมล์1-696x392-1.jpg

A tragic bus accident occurred yesterday when a 72 year old man lost his life after slipping and being run over by a bus at a bus stop near Chaeng Watthana Road, Pak Kret, Nontha Buri.

The elderly man, who had been a familiar figure in the area for over a decade, was known for begging to support his family.

Police from Pak Kret Police Station were alerted to the accident around 9.30pm. The victim, a resident of Roi Et province, was found lying lifeless near the pavement with a backpack beside him.

Nearby, a cream and red bus on Route 32, was parked with white hair strands caught in its left rear wheel.

The bus conductor explained that the bus had stopped to pick up passengers, and as two women boarded, the driver closed the door and began to pull away. Suddenly, screams from outside the bus prompted the driver to halt.

Upon inspection, they found the elderly man unconscious on the ground. Rescue workers arrived shortly after and confirmed his death. A witness mentioned that the man was attempting to board the bus when he slipped and fell under the wheel.

A clothing vendor from the cinema recounted seeing the deceased man for over ten years. He was often seen begging around various locations including Khlong Toei, Phichai Market in Pak Kret, and in front of Major Hollywood Pak Kret.

According to her, the man had once mentioned that he begged to fund his child’s education, although the truth of this claim remains uncertain.

Following the bus accident, officials transported the body to the hospital and began an investigation in accordance with legal procedures, reported Khaosod.

By Ryan Turner

Image courtesy of Khaosod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-05-27

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 5

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

According to her, the man had once mentioned that he begged to fund his child’s education, although the truth of this claim remains uncertain.

Aged 72 it's doubtful, even 10 years ago when he first appeared in the area.

However the bus driver must not have used side mirrors to know that all passengers had either boarded or got off the bus properly before closing the doors and moving off.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Aged 72 it's doubtful, even 10 years ago when he first appeared in the area.

However the bus driver must not have used side mirrors to know that all passengers had either boarded or got off the bus properly before closing the doors and moving off.

I have had some drivers only allow boarding by the front door. Sometimes the bus conductor will stand by the back doors to assure people only exit and not enter. Several times when side doors opened on stopping I have doors begin to close on me stepping up to enter - no bus conductor standing nearby to warn me. 

The inconsistency points to the need of a back door watch regardless of any driver inattention. 

• Agree 2

Sounds like the Bus driver was at fault to me, 

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the driver closed the door and began to pull away. Suddenly, screams from outside the bus prompted the driver to halt.

He didn't look in his n/s mirror to check before driving off.