US Passport Renewal Hell - Thailand Edition May 2024

6 hours ago, sabaiguy said:

Gotcha.  Still has nothing to do with renewing a US passport.

Well, if you go through the process with the embassy, you also have to process that through the local mail system or make trips to the embassy and then for it to be valid for use here in Thailand, you have to do the transfers of stamps...it is all of the TOTAL process of passport renewal.  But yeah you are thinking only of the US embassy process I can understand that sorry to get you upset about how I view the process of passport renewal.  Good luck

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Didn't read previous post ... but ...

Renewing my USA PP in TH was one of the easiest things I've ever done.   Simply go to the website, and follow the 'hold your hand' instructions.

It doesn't get any easier.  Have done twice already online.

Yeah same with me as I did mine in Nov, got it several weeks later and was surprised how quickly it did come.  

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, flexomike said:

wife recently did hers, got one message that her application was received and being processed and that was it

after I submitted my application, the embassy sent me a note telling me to wait an "appropriate" time to begin checking on the return envelope with the passport as they were unsure when it might go through the pouching and processing time.  Just when I thought it was possible and was about to search on the number provided the mailman delivered my passport.  Quicker than I thought it would be.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Question:

When the US Embassy Bangkok receives your passport, do they notify you that they have received it?

It seems to vary. Some correspondents on this string said that the embassy acknowledged the application. In my case, I heard nothing. I stumbled across this link eventually, which showed the status of my application by saying that the passport has been shipped. But I am not sure whether this link would report receiving the application or its status in the processing queue.

https://passportstatus.state.gov/

On 6/7/2024 at 2:24 PM, connda said:

Question:

When the US Embassy Bangkok receives your passport, do they notify you that they have received it?

On 6/8/2024 at 12:12 PM, HerewardtheWake said:

It seems to vary. Some correspondents on this string said that the embassy acknowledged the application. In my case, I heard nothing. I stumbled across this link eventually, which showed the status of my application by saying that the passport has been shipped. But I am not sure whether this link would report receiving the application or its status in the processing queue.

https://passportstatus.state.gov/

Yeah - I haven't gotten any notifications.  Sent it via EMS.  It shows as "Delivered" but no signature, just a note on the EMS page (in Thai) that it was delivered to a "security guard at the US Embassy"  Check the passport status page but nothing yet.  So I've got notes in my calendar to start checking "two weeks" after it arrived. 

Patience is my friend I guess. 

Well after getting my passport paperwork together, and pictures, and payments it was off to Thai Post to send it all off via EMS.  The EMS letter took 4 days to arrive at the US Embassy in Bangkok. Well at least it said it arrive. "Left with security guard - no signature"  That gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.

So now regarding checking Passport Status.  Just a hint - when the page comes back an tells you that you're probably not going to see anything for two weeks, they mean exactly two weeks to the day.  So obviously they got my EMS package.  From what I gathered "In Process" means they have checked your paperwork, processed the payment to Pay.gov and put it in a diplomatic pouch and set it to the USA.  Well - good enough.  Once you get "In Process" on the Passport Status page you get a "application locator number" and you can enter your email address and request updates.  Now for the wait.  My guess given this is the height of passport season in the US, probably the full 8 weeks from the date I sent the EMS.  We will see.  But?  At least it is in the system.