Mobile banking users not affected yet by new regulation : NBTC

webfact

From Thai Examiner.

“The deadline to register unregistered SIM cards and ensure that the name on each matches the one on your mobile banking account to avoid service interruption is July 13, said Minister of Digital Economy and Society, Prasert Chantararuangthong.

However, he also said related state agencies will take until October to verify all 106 million accounts.

The new regulation, aimed at preventing ghost SIM cards and mule accounts, mandates that the owner of a bank account with mobile banking must be the same person registered as the user of the SIM card.

Prasert also noted that family members, guardians, and companies purchasing multiple SIM cards for their employees will be exempted.“

My wife and I went to AIS in the big Lotus's in Phuket Town. It's sorted now, but my goodness, I'd sooner get a prostate exam by Edward Scissorhands than go through that again. It was as if this was the first time they'd ever changed a name on a phone. All three of the staff had a crack at the computer, but they finally figured it out. I didn't time it, but it had to be over an hour for something that I expected to take maybe 15 minutes. 

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, Karma80 said:

Well that's gonna be fun for everyone with multiple family numbers under a mobile plan.

Multiple "family numbers" (what are they?) being used on an individual's banking app?   Could you explain how that works?

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Galong said:

Those of us who work here usually have our phone SIMS registered in our company's name. This is a standard practice among business people for tax purposes. I guess I'll either have to get an additional card or lose the tax write-off. This will affect a lot of Thai business people as well. Again, it's a common practice to put your personal phone in the company's name.  Oh well, SSDD.

Legitimate arrangements will not be affected, the move is to stop the operation of mule accounts.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I believe this is proving an issue for Thais too, many of whom have their phones set up to handle a family member's' account. My Mrs does it  for her elderly mother, who could not possibly handle mobile banking. 

And people in that position will not be affected.  If you read the original report (yesterday?), that is explained.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, pattjock said:

Anyone know if there is a code you can type in to check what name your SIM card is registered under?  (AIS)

Sorry but the advice given by NBTC was to dial *179*ID number# , to check, but it seems that requires a 13 digit Thai ID number, and appears not work with a passport no. or pink ID card.

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Legitimate arrangements will not be affected, the move is to stop the operation of mule accounts.

And who determines what is legitimate? I'm 100% legitimate, but I use one phone for business and banking (without thinking to clear it through ASEANNOW users). I switch it to my name as MOST of what I do on my phone is personal. I'll accept the small tax write-off I got from this phone being used sometimes for business. It is what it is. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Galong said:
7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And who determines what is legitimate? I'm 100% legitimate, but I use one phone for business and banking (without thinking to clear it through ASEANNOW users). I switch it to my name as MOST of what I do on my phone is personal. I'll accept the small tax write-off I got from this phone being used sometimes for business. It is what it is. 

The banks and the AMLO...as stated in the OP!  Those who are not scamming or operating mule accounts have nothing to worry about.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

25 minutes ago, pattjock said:

Anyone know if there is a code you can type in to check what name your SIM card is registered under?  (AIS)

At the AIS center today where I switched my phone to my name, they said verification is available on the AIS app. I can't verify that what they did today worked because OF COURSE it takes 24-ish hours for it to change over according to them.  Anyway, if you have a mobile app, it should have 'account name' details. 

• Like 1

Just now, Galong said:
3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The banks and the AMLO.

Good guess, but it's still a guess. 

No, it is not a guess, I read the OP, and the previous reports about this, and you could too if you bothered.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, norbra said:

For a while now when using the Kasicorn bank app they have been asking me to change my phone number.

I have my "call"number registered but they are detecting my data sim when I connect and they ask if I want to change to this number.

This can't have anything to do with the new policy as it has not yet been implemented. It might never happen, but what's the problem? Most people have their banking apps on their registered sim.

Your situation is probably that your banking app is registered to a different number than is listed on your banking profile.

On the news now channel 33...

Changes will be brought in, in 120 days..

Also warnings about scams... once registered if someone claiming to be from your bank phones you it is a scam.... all banks are saying once registration is complete they will not be phoning any customers for any reason...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

This can't have anything to do with the new policy as it has not yet been implemented. It might never happen, but what's the problem? Most people have their banking apps on their registered sim.

Your situation is probably that your banking app is registered to a different number than is listed on your banking profile.

I do not have a problem with their plan 

My post ras a response to @Beerzy65

Edited by norbra

5 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Prasert also noted that family members, guardians, and companies purchasing multiple SIM cards for their employees will be exempted.“

Thanks for bring that to our attention. I was a bit concerned because our True internet package is registered in my wife's name and that includes the data SIM, which I use. So I guess that I, as a family member, need not be concerned about this issue. We share the same address and family name.

Glad to read that there is a bit of common sense in this matter.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Thanks for bring that to our attention. I was a bit concerned because our True internet package is registered in my wife's name and that includes the data SIM, which I use. So I guess that I, as a family member, need not be concerned about this issue. We share the same address and family name.

Glad to read that there is a bit of common sense in this matter.

Hope that is what it means, but my concern is that I only posted what the media reported Minister Prasert Chantararuangthong as saying, and there was a lack of details, so we will have to wait for full clarification to be sure.

Edited by Georgealbert

2 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Hope that is what it means, but my concern is that I only posted what the media reported Minister Prasert Chantararuangthong as saying, and there was a lack of details, so we will have to wait for full clarification to be sure.

Agreed, but it does make sense doesn't it. There's little point in causing disruption and extra work when it is clearly unnecessary. Fingers crossed as the old saying goes.

• Agree 1

On 5/28/2024 at 6:05 PM, norbra said:

I do not have a problem with their plan 

My post ras a response to @Beerzy65

(feel free to ignore this response - if you need to chat with someone and don't like others to respond, you can DM them)

I was responding to your suggestion that this new policy affects your mobile banking, which it does not. It's quite obvious this new process has not started yet.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Why would anyone need their banking apps to be on someone else's SIM? All SIMS need to be registered with ID now, so this is much ado about nothing.

The bank can easily ensure that only your registered SIM phone can use their banking app... by sending messages to the phone number registered to your bank account and requiring a response to an SMS from that SIM. Some banks abroad already do this.