China Eastern

I am not sure where to post this so If a moderator wants to move it be my guest.

I will be flying to the UK (Heathrow) later in the year and the prices have jumped considerably. EVA 43,000, Thai 62,000. So I started searching. China Eastern doesn't look too bad considering it's 10,000 Baht cheaper. My only concern is the procedure in Shanghai. Will I be a Transit passenger with my luggage checked all the way through or will I have to go through customs with my luggage and then check in again? Has anybody flown with China Eastern to London recently?

If it's the Customs route how long did it take and was there enough time to do it comfortably?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

PS Do they serve alcohol?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

China Eastern is..

BKK-PVG (Shanghai): 4:20 hrs

Layover: 3:15 hrs

PVG (Shanghai)-LHR: 13:05 hrs

Total: 20:40 hrs

EVA and TG: BKK-LHR: 13:20 hrs non-stop.

Is the 10,000 baht saving worth the extra 7 hours ?? 

If cost saving is your only concern - there is also Air-India.

This thread here has info... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, roger101 said:

I am not sure where to post this so If a moderator wants to move it be my guest.

I will be flying to the UK (Heathrow) later in the year and the prices have jumped considerably. EVA 43,000, Thai 62,000. So I started searching. China Eastern doesn't look too bad considering it's 10,000 Baht cheaper. My only concern is the procedure in Shanghai. Will I be a Transit passenger with my luggage checked all the way through or will I have to go through customs with my luggage and then check in again? Has anybody flown with China Eastern to London recently?

If it's the Customs route how long did it take and was there enough time to do it comfortably?

Yes read the thread I started that Richard has kindly linked in...it was on March 17th so pretty recent

Any questions just ask

Can't answer re the transit and the longer flight to UK but I can add that I think China Eastern are a decent airline, yes they serve booze, food good as well I think.

Shanghai ultra modern airport, doubt you would have a problem there unless security take a dislike to something in your hand luggage.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, roger101 said:

I flew China Southern , I didn’t have to go thru Customs just Transit 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

I like China Eastern.  They've improved greatly over the past 20 years.

IDK about flying to Europe, but when I fly them to China, they check my bag straight through unless the layover is overnight.  They actually clear the bag through Customs at the first landing, but I don't need to touch it.  Just wait for 10 minutes or so with others from the flight, then they send us on.  Customs is doing the inspections and x-ray in the back room.

I can't imagine they'd even check bags that are destined for a 3rd country.  Except for security (looking for bombs or...God forbid... cigarette lighters),   Customs shouldn't even get involved.  And the security check happens in BKK.

One caveat about China Eastern to China is they (generally) charge for all checked luggage in cattle class.  Flying to Europe, I imagine they match the prevailing practices of the competition.  But it's worth a check, because that 10,000 baht cheaper fare doesn't look so good when you add 4,000 baht per bag in each direction.  Not a worry if you fly in the front of the plane...

Edited by impulse

My worst airline experience ever was on China Eastern about seven years ago.  Nothing but problems including sitting on the tarmac for seven hours in Shanghai while they tried to solve the problem.  Arrived at my destination and none of my luggage made it.  Took a day for one bag to be returned to me and two days for the other..

22 hours ago, roger101 said:

Chinese airlines serve little alcohol ... maybe a glass of wine .      likewise Chinese airport are not flush with bars . I often find my Visa card does not work there ....  and some places only take scan payments and RMB     so be warned .      as for your ticket , can I assume before you searched that you deleted all cookies from the websites you are looking for tickets on ?   it can and does make a huge difference in cost .  also china Eastern and southern very small seats ...  

Thanks to all of you who replied.

As I will be staying with various family members who have their plans for the summer I am waiting for their decision on the best time to come to fit in with everybody.

Because of this, I am still looking for flights. My original thought was July into August but that's out.

The more I looked the harder it came to find the cheapest. The gap between CE and EVA is sometimes only 4.000 Baht. If that ends up it will be EVA and not CE. I'm not tight but 10,000 is too much but 4,000 is acceptable.

Since typing that I have been looking at seat charges at EVA. $60 each way. So that takes the gap back to 10,000 Baht again, It seems I can't win.

Of all the flights I have had over the years (albeit the last one was 10 years ago), I have always had an aisle seat. At my age now with a weak bladder and the need to stretch a few times, I need an Aisle seat. As this is probably going to be my last trip to the UK (and my last flights) I was hoping that it would all be plain sailing. No such luck.

On 5/29/2024 at 5:18 AM, Chetzee said:

also china Eastern and southern very small seats ...  

As per my OP not China Eastern over seats

33" seat pitch on main leg and none of those infernal AVOD boxes or footrests

Very comfortable

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2024 at 8:05 AM, roger101 said:

Also, does anybody know the latest price of Preferred Seat selection on CE, I have hunted for it but seems invisible.

I'd imagine that will only be viewable when you have a live booking

Bear in mind my comments in OP over using an agent or direct with airline beause only the direct airline reservation allows you to check in online

One of the rare occasions where airline booking is better than using an agent