Need Thai TV

Dario

For many years we had Truevision and whatever was before. A couple of years ago we ditched them for TOT iptv, two boxes . Yes, they are much cheaper, but have been a complete nightmare. Mostly they didn't work. Getting the mechanics to come to our home (in the sticks, Surin province) has been another bad experience.

All we need now is Thai TV channels for the missus. The rest I get through a X96 box via Youtube. Som we need a simple sat system which brings us all the Thai Tv channels.

Now, at the time, True only collected their Truevision boxesm but left their satellite dishes, Now to my question: can I buy a sat system onlinem say via Shopee or Lazada and use the Truevision boxes? If that would be possible, I can install myself. Does anyobody know?

I think True sat dish would point at a True satellite (simple explanation). You won't get reception unless you have a True box.

Probably the simplest way would be to re-subscribe to True and upgrade your subscription to what you want.

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

What's wrong with a cheap digital aerial?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/10m-5e-rg6-10-i4997924608-s21094288024.html

Why do you think you need satellite?

Looks good enough on my 75" tv ........

Yes, your picture looks good to me, too, but with a cheap aerial I can still not choose any channels. I do need a receiver to connect the aerial to. Am I right? Well, I have ordered the newest PSI receiver.

Now what ThaI tv channels can you get with that aerial, may I ask?

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Dario said:

Yes, your picture looks good to me, too, but with a cheap aerial I can still not choose any channels. I do need a receiver to connect the aerial to. Am I right? Well, I have ordered the newest PSI receiver.

Now what ThaI tv channels can you get with that aerial, may I ask?

If your TV is under 10 years old you will be able to get all digital channels with a simple aerial.

Satellite tv is dead and gone.

Edited by BritManToo

52 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If your TV is under 10 years old you will be able to get all digital channels with a simple aerial.

Can you explain: "If your TV is under 10 years old you will be able to get all digital channels with a simple aerial."

One of my TVs is a 14-year old plasma LG, but I do use a X-96 Android box and get  a lot of channels, Youtube, etc. but I miss the Thai TV channels.

"Satellite is dead and gone" >> so how does Truevision work then nowadays with an aerial, too?

On 5/28/2024 at 1:08 PM, Dario said:

True only collected their Truevision boxesm but left their satellite dishes, Now to my question: can I buy a sat system onlinem say via Shopee or Lazada and use the Truevision boxes? If that would be possible, I can install myself. Does anyobody know?

The satellite dishes  can most likely be reused   just buy a "PSI" box from wherever and retune

Better would be a larger C band sat dish loads more channels and not so effected by the rain

All  the terrestrial channels and more are broadcast on the Thaicom satellites at  78.5°E

https://www.lyngsat.com/Thaicom-6-8.html

44 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Thankfully its still alive and kicking cable tv ass  much cheaper to broadcast to a whole country or continent ( C band) with a satellite than running all that cable...ok fibre optics have the advantage

in many ways but still more pricey ( I would have thought not being an expert in any field)

As for terrestrial digital tv then check your nearest transmitter here

https://dttservicearea.nbtc.go.th/webapp

True cable and satellite is dead, they'd rather pull in internet cable and give you an IPTV box with their channels which works over the internet, selling you the internet package and the tv subscription

there are true boxes you can plug into your existing dish that gives you some channels, but not as much as the paid channels you had on true gold/platinum tier as before 

if your TV has digital tuner, it should be able to pick up all the thai digtal terresterial channels through the aerial without need for any box or extra remote

12 hours ago, johng said:

The satellite dishes  can most likely be reused   just buy a "PSI" box from wherever and retune

Better would be a larger C band sat dish loads more channels and not so effected by the rain

All  the terrestrial channels and more are broadcast on the Thaicom satellites at  78.5°E

https://www.lyngsat.com/Thaicom-6-8.html

Thankfully its still alive and kicking cable tv ass  much cheaper to broadcast to a whole country or continent ( C band) with a satellite than running all that cable...ok fibre optics have the advantage

in many ways but still more pricey ( I would have thought not being an expert in any field)

As for terrestrial digital tv then check your nearest transmitter here

https://dttservicearea.nbtc.go.th/webapp

John, I thank you for your message. I completely agree with you, although I'm someone who doesn't know much about satellites and how to receive TV pictures. At past 78 I just try to think logically. Yesterday morning I already ordered the newest PSI SX2 receiver box. It's already half way to my home. I just want to try. I know the dishes will have to be realigned, of course. I will have to find someone to come and do that at my home in the sticks. I will let you know the outcome. I think it'll be OK. I attach a picture of the two dishes which are still attached at my home. God bless.

IMG20240529064103s.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Try connecting your new PSI SX2 receiver box to the dishes first before calling an installer.

The dishes (most likely) may well be pointing at the correct satellite already  try both dishes in case one has a problem   maybe misaligned or the LNB  kaput,  LNB's are now very very cheap.

Bigger C band (black mesh)  dishes are also very cheap in Thailand.

I remember paying hundreds of pounds for an  0.7 db low noise Swedish Microwave LNB  back in the late 1990's. One thousand for a SCT (Chaparral) Monterey 40 receiver !

then hundreds more as the signals all went from analogue to digital  a lot of fun watching things not supposed to be watched especially during the encryption wars,

eventually for a short while almost everything was cracked/hacked you could watch thousands of subscription channels from all over Europe for free !!!

Of course that wasn't sustainable and broadcasters had to move to more secure encryption  but not before some of them went down the tubes   notably OnDigital  which was not a satellite broadcaster but used one of the hacked encryption systems   coincidently it was a rival to SkyTV

who's NDS Videoguard encryption system eventually went on to win the encryption war  in a rather murky way.

I believe even True Visions fell victim to the encryption war  and one very prominent seller of "dodgy" cards was operating from Thailand.

I also spent  hundreds of pounds on the Practical Television and What Satellite magazines

https://www.rewindmuseum.com/satellitemagazines.htm

Sorry for the off topic nostalgia 😋

This is to inform the community.

I have received a PSI SX2 receiver box and connected to our Truevision sat dishes. And: it works! I tried to think logically in assuming that I could use my two Truevision sat dishes not in use for maybe 3 or 4 years to get reception on a PSI receiver. So, it works. For less than 1'000 Baht we have now Thai TV channels in the living room and our bedroom and never pay a monthly fee. Great solution!

IMG20240531152244.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2