Big Thailand visa changes from June 1

The proposed change opens up the flood gate for more overstayers, illegal workers, and foreign offenders.

What makes this current government so keen to help increase Thai police's workload?

They are already busy enough with the negatives already here.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

They should start with a special visa granted to all those above 50 who own property in Thailand and mainly deliver it with none of the absurd foreign health insurance requisites that ask to mention the minimun amount of coverage. Just a proof of ownership of the condo or 30yr leasehold with passport, photo  and pension  certificate should be enough for this special visa that could be valid 10 years with a maximum stay of 4 months each year and no absurd requirements to "requalify" each year like with the LTR visa.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Sounds like they want the tax money. So can we just say we’re digital nomads. Someone explain to me why a digital nomad is going to get 180 days while a married expat has to jump through all kinds of hoops and report every90

IIRC The digital nomad visa requirements 
are not really suited for most digital nomads
and yes they still have hoops to jump through

12 hours ago, george said:

UPDATE:

- Restructuring and reducing the number of Non-Immigrant visa categories from 17 to 7, starting in September 2024.

- Adjusting the criteria and conditions for the Long Stay visa for elderly people who wish to spend their retirement in Thailand, starting in September 2024.

- Reducing the health insurance requirement for Non-Immigrant visa (O-A) from 3,000,000 baht to pre-COVID-19 levels: 40,000 baht for outpatients and 400,000 baht for inpatients.

- Expanding the e-Visa service from 47 to 94 Thai embassies, consulates, and trade and economic offices worldwide by December 2024.

Long-term measures:

It will be fully implemented by June 2025.

- Developing an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) system for foreign nationals eligible for visa exemption.

- Using technology and innovation to enhance the screening of foreign nationals by integrating data with the Immigration Bureau.

Government spokesperson Chai Wacharong stated that while these measures to facilitate tourism will result in a loss of approximately 12.3 billion baht (335.7 million USD) in government revenue annually, the expected return from increased tourism, estimated at 800 billion to 1 trillion baht (21.8 – 27.3 billion USD), led the Cabinet to approve the measures.

-- Khao Sot 2024-05-28

Maybe it's just my impression but I'm afraid I won't see any improvement for retired people, what criteria and new conditions for September 2024 ?, actually a worsening but we'll have to wait and see

Depending on the accuracy of the reporting some positive changes but they haven't really thought this through to have a real impact. Nothing about the crazy 90 day reporting which has to be the most obsolete rule in Thai immigration, especially for those on work permits. Lots of other changes needed to make a real impact. Nothing wrong with offering free visa's but due to the rise in crimes committed by foreigners they really need to improve their screening process. Also surely over stayers flag in their computer system so why are there people who have overstayed by sometimes several years and discovered by a whistle blower rather than the authorities doing their job!! The mountains of paper work that is required for anything visa, work permit or even a licence is completely nuts, they have the information on file so why add to it with numerous sheets of paper, this is really Third world thinking!

This is another major hit on retirees. Medical insurance becomes harder to obtain as we get older. Often, due to existing medical conditions, eg, knee surgery, hip surgery, heart attacks, kidney/gaul stones, etc, the list of exclusions is so long that it is hardly worth bothering with. The premium is excessive and there is usually a very high excess/deductable. 

I believe it should be sufficient to show that you have sufficient funds to cover medical emergencies.

This is another case of the government providing income for the insurance companies.

What are they going to do if I fail to prove I have medical insurance?

I have already spent a fortune in the hospitals here on such afflictions as those above!

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that Thai Immigration do this just to "muddy" the waters and to keep long term expats in a state of confusion! Perish the thought that they might decide to move to a more friendly country??

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

They should start with a special visa granted to all those above 50 who own property in Thailand and mainly deliver it with none of the absurd foreign health insurance requisites that ask to mention the minimun amount of coverage. Just a proof of ownership of the condo or 30yr leasehold with passport, photo  and pension  certificate should be enough for this special visa that could be valid 10 years with a maximum stay of 4 months each year and no absurd requirements to "requalify" each year like with the LTR visa.

There is a LTR for property investment... "Combined investment in Thai government bonds OR direct investment in companies registered in Thailand OR Thai property of at least USD 500,000"

Why above 50? Property ownership is property ownership? 

If you get arrested in Thailand I would guesss that it gets entered into a computer system which could then be cross checked by immigration when requesting a visa or at the arrival place?  How about get rid of a lot of the lawless idiots that seem unable to live in Thailand without getting arrested?  Either deport and blacklisted so no return for few years or if mild offense one more stike and out you go.

My gut is the overwhelming number of ex pats and tourists come to thailand and behave themselves, have a good time, spend  $$ and leave without ever getting into trouble with the law in any serious manner.

Unfortunatley a few bad apples seems to create all sorts of rules etc for those who behave themselves.  I am all in favor of getting rid of the bad apples through deportation/blacklisting or some punishment more meaningful that a photo op,a wai and 500 baht fine.  With easing of visa restrictions I suspect that the number of bad apples will increase so maybe a good time to plan for how to handle it?

13 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Organs of Thai govt operating at cross purposes, again.

Promoting “illegal” Remote work? 🤐

chaos in progress, that's the Thai way of working (I have years of experience working in a Thai organisation)

Awaiting invitation for Permanent Residency status as a retiree over 10 years in the Kingdom of Thailand and married to a Thai citizen. Right ... not holding my breadth.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, balo said:

This is the best news I've heard for 10 years.  Thumbs up to the government for actually using their brains for a change! 

You just wait until confirmation and details on how it will work. The sting is in the tail!

• Sad 1

Still only 2 visa-free entries via a Landborder?

For those who can prove they live in a neighboring country and are not visa running, I'd love to see this increased/abolished.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Tourists wishing to work and sightsee can now be issued five-year visas for stays that last up to 180 days, which can be extended for another 180 days.

No mention of cost is it free ? 

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, pomchop said:

If you get arrested in Thailand I would guesss that it gets entered into a computer system which could then be cross checked by immigration when requesting a visa or at the arrival place?  How about get rid of a lot of the lawless idiots that seem unable to live in Thailand without getting arrested?  Either deport and blacklisted so no return for few years or if mild offense one more stike and out you go.

My gut is the overwhelming number of ex pats and tourists come to thailand and behave themselves, have a good time, spend  $$ and leave without ever getting into trouble with the law in any serious manner.

Unfortunatley a few bad apples seems to create all sorts of rules etc for those who behave themselves.  I am all in favor of getting rid of the bad apples through deportation/blacklisting or some punishment more meaningful that a photo op,a wai and 500 baht fine.  With easing of visa restrictions I suspect that the number of bad apples will increase so maybe a good time to plan for how to handle it?

8s286d.jpg.41e2cfec113cc4f7b95f10008fa12df0.jpg

And I will still have to supply 26 copies and 61 signatures and witness for my marriage extension, home visit and 90 day reports, after 9 yrs of marriage Thanks Thailand  you are sooo caring to us who look after Thai women, and their families, who's fathers are not around, giving them a secure home and life. :jap:

• Confused 3

Can anyone decypher WTH this probably means?

" This reduction will be effective for long-stay applicants from September to December, according to Mr Chai. "

Does that mean, the new rule for this starts somewhere between Sept through Dec? or   : I guess it MUST mean that?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

My last 'visa check' for the contract involved a urine sample, chest xray, and a blood test.  Talk about taking the piss.

As an English teacher, not once have they tested my knowledge of English.

Or skills as a teacher

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

Awaiting invitation for Permanent Residency status as a retiree over 10 years in the Kingdom of Thailand and married to a Thai citizen. Right ... not holding my breadth.

No invites!   You must apply. Thats not likely to change

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, george said:

Not yet announced by The Immigration Bureau , the announcement was done by MFA just yesterday after the cabinet meeting. Immigration is normally not fast with policy updates, so watch this space for updates when it happens.

Presumably it would need to be in Friday's Royal Gazette if it's to come in force by 1st June

• Like 2