Thai Visa Brings Out The Worst In People

garro

IMO it's not Thai Visa... but rather Thai visas that brings out the worst in a lot of folks on these boards. Having to visit exotic locales like Penang, Poipet, and Vientienne *every 90 days* and then having to see commercials about it on television, being constantly reminded about it all on various threads, not to mention the 'flushing money down the toilet' aspect of it all, ... I've even heard some folks get worked up over why "it's so unfair that Somchai the motorcycle taxi gets to lounge around all day while he has to go on these <deleted>' border runs."

:o

Edited by Heng

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are always going to be people who do things you aren't going to like in just about any situation. Technology is never just a GOOD thing, it can be used either way. When you post in an open forum like this, you invite virtually anyone in with something to say, we're all going to hear things that we wish we hadn't. Freedom of Speech,... is also a double-edged sword.

But it too can bring out the best in people, humor and a funny side....which I also see it here often

I really don't think that forums contribute to bringing out the worst in people except perhaps, as stated wisely above, that we miss the visual cues that we depend upon in face-to-face discussion. People are people and there are many very angry people out there, hence the reason for restrictive rules on these forums against abusive behavior. Unfortunately, and fortunately, we cannot control everyone or there would be few of us left to have these forum discussions.

I was a long-time State, Federal and Court mediator and finally had to move on as I found myself becoming depressed over mankind's abuses of one another. I have to say however, that I found that most verbal battles form over miscommunication and that once effective communication and mutual respect is re-established, most people find a way to get along.

Many of us are retired (or whatever) in a country where the concept is frequently "money for nothing and the chicks for free", and there are a lot of boozers on these forums (including myself of course} who use alcohol as an excuse. Alcohol however does not create anger - it merely sets it free.

I do understand where the OP is coming from. I have frequently voiced my objection to abusive behavior on these forums which ranges from name-calling and other derisive remarks over differences of opinion to the extreme of hinting that people deserve to die for their opinions and/or choices in life. :o

I believe that every person deserves our respect but I am not weenie enough to think that we have to agree with their opinions or their behavior. There is nothing I can do about poster's behavior on these forums, nor have I ever desired authority over others even during my 10 years of military duty and combat, but I do have control over my personal life. While we have no choice but to deal with abusive people in the real world out there, my choice has always been to pay my respects and move on. So far, over my 66+ years in this life, it has worked out well and I have many, many friends who are kind, respectful and loving.

Life is good, IMHO, because I really do care about my own kind.

Yes, even you idiots... :D

I really don't think that forums contribute to bringing out the worst in people except perhaps, as stated wisely above, that we miss the visual cues that we depend upon in face-to-face discussion. People are people and there are many very angry people out there, hence the reason for restrictive rules on these forums against abusive behavior. Unfortunately, and fortunately, we cannot control everyone or there would be few of us left to have these forum discussions.

I was a long-time State, Federal and Court mediator and finally had to move on as I found myself becoming depressed over mankind's abuses of one another. I have to say however, that I found that most verbal battles form over miscommunication and that once effective communication and mutual respect is re-established, most people find a way to get along.

Many of us are retired (or whatever) in a country where the concept is frequently "money for nothing and the chicks for free", and there are a lot of boozers on these forums (including myself of course} who use alcohol as an excuse. Alcohol however does not create anger - it merely sets it free.

I do understand where the OP is coming from. I have frequently voiced my objection to abusive behavior on these forums which ranges from name-calling and other derisive remarks over differences of opinion to the extreme of hinting that people deserve to die for their opinions and/or choices in life. :D

I believe that every person deserves our respect but I am not weenie enough to think that we have to agree with their opinions or their behavior. There is nothing I can do about poster's behavior on these forums, nor have I ever desired authority over others even during my 10 years of military duty and combat, but I do have control over my personal life. While we have no choice but to deal with abusive people in the real world out there, my choice has always been to pay my respects and move on. So far, over my 66+ years in this life, it has worked out well and I have many, many friends who are kind, respectful and loving.

Nice post dustoff.

BTW, what is your own kind? :o

I do understand where the OP is coming from. I have frequently voiced my objection to abusive behavior on these forums which ranges from name-calling and other derisive remarks over differences of opinion to the extreme of hinting that people deserve to die for their opinions and/or choices in life. :D

Nice post dustoff.

BTW, what is your own kind? :o

Thanks garro.

Anything with a heartbeat.

I'm pretty fond of mangoes as well.. :D

I do understand where the OP is coming from. I have frequently voiced my objection to abusive behavior on these forums which ranges from name-calling and other derisive remarks over differences of opinion to the extreme of hinting that people deserve to die for their opinions and/or choices in life. :o

Thaivisa's a great forum... sometimes.

On serious topics the infighting and flaming can be a pain in the posterior and I have vowed never to read or post again.

Surely stricter moderation is needed. On one thread I started which went up in flames, they simply closed the thread and I guess left the idiots free to do it all over again.

How about a stricter moderation policy on all sections except a new secton called 'Thailite' (apologies to TS. Tsow) where Thaivisa psycho geezer and his friends can run funny threads and quip away and flame each other to their hearts content?

Part of the problem is the anonymity of user names and though I use my real name, I guess that's a lost battle.

Andrew Hicks

Andrew said -

Part of the problem is the anonymity of user names and though I use my real name, I guess that's a lost battle.

Is that a real picture of you in your avatar too? :o

[

Surely stricter moderation is needed. On one thread I started which went up in flames, they simply closed the thread and I guess left the idiots free to do it all over again.

How about a stricter moderation policy on all sections except a new secton called 'Thailite' (apologies to TS. Tsow) where Thaivisa psycho geezer and his friends can run funny threads and quip away and flame each other to their hearts content?

Andrew Hicks

i do not see how you can post here on any regular basis and say moderation should be more strict. to the contrary i have found it in the past to be very limiting, though to the board's credit they do manage to keep the wheels on.

As for the real names issue, i believe it is plain stupid to publish too many details of you life on the internet, and you need not know my name to read what i write. I also refuse to walk around a party with a "hello my name is" badge taped to my chest, but that is another issue.

i really don't understand this over-reliance on authority that makes people call for more moderation where there is already plenty.

ts

Andrew said -

Is that a real picture of you in your avatar too? :D

It looks like a rather good - albeit sightly squashed - sketch of Mr Hicks holding up his "Thai Girl" book.

I wish I could write a book. Is that considered "working"? Would I need a work permit? :o

post-35489-1185951865_thumb.jpg

This may sound obvious- but for those who missed it the first time:

1. If you feel like things are going wrong on a thread, you can always use the "report" button.

2. If you have concerns beyond that which a "report" will not solve, you can PM a mod or admin.

3. Discussion of moderation is not allowed, the above notwithstanding (I'll let it stand for now).

It's impossible to please everyone, but we mods try as hard as we can. To a large extent, the quality of TV is what you, the members, make it.

"Steven"

^

These are valid points.

There's nothing wrong with debate or disagreeing with a point of view.

We could do all this without getting enraged and provoking other members into fits of rage.

It costs nothing to keep things civil.

Edited by qwertz

Don't like it when somebody rudely puts another person down, just because he posted something that he doesn't like to hear, or for @@sake because the grammar was not correct, it's just that some of us were not born to grow up as native speakers of English. Sometimes you see people getting quite personal, assuming things about the other poster they don't have a clue about. Must admit that I have thought often enough that I certainly wouldn't like to come across some of these people in real life. But then, maybe behind the keyboard some people just assume another personality, just like people's behaviour can change drastically when they are sitting behind the wheel of a car. I think normally I am a polite and soft spoken person, but when I am driving, I am continuously cursing other motorists because of their erratic road behaviour. Oh well, maybe the poster who comes across as quite unsymphathetic could be a nice guy in real life, whilst the poster who seems like a pleasant person would get on your nerves instantly if you would meet him face to face.

Oh well, maybe the poster who comes across as quite unsymphathetic could be a nice guy in real life, whilst the poster who seems like a pleasant person would get on your nerves instantly if you would meet him face to face.

A+. Hole in one! Internet personalities can be entirely the same or totally opposite or anywhere in between. :o

Soundman.

I disagree
Debatable

I am Disagreeable with the Debatability of Debating to Disagree until Disagreeing and Debating are Disagreeably Debated.

Edited by Kerryd

Sorry about the title but I am trying to keep it Thai related, what I really mean that forums generally can bring out the worst in people. Most threads end up in a clash of egos with nobody listening to anyone else. I know because I am probably one of the worst offenders :o . I often leave this or other forums feeling bad about insulting others or feeling slighted. I sometimes wonder what the point of it all is?

To really understand that you'd have to have been here when the Tsunami hit.

Sorry about the title but I am trying to keep it Thai related, what I really mean that forums generally can bring out the worst in people. Most threads end up in a clash of egos with nobody listening to anyone else. I know because I am probably one of the worst offenders :o . I often leave this or other forums feeling bad about insulting others or feeling slighted. I sometimes wonder what the point of it all is?

oh really? i thought having a child would be enough

oh really? i thought having a child would be enough

Wait until you have thousands of people coming because they are worried that their wives, children, or other family have been washed out to sea and only one site in the world is getting info straight from so many people on the scene.

I disagree that forums bring out the worst in people. I think the reality is that forums are just another slice of both the good and the bad in life containing some really great people, a few pompous <deleted> and misfits, with the great majority of forum members just being average nice people falling somewhere between the extremes. It doesn't matter whether we are talking about famous actors, professional athletes, businessman, forum members, etc. as they all have their fair share of people with personality traits that most of us would consider characteristic of people that we would not want to spend any length of time around.

Forums do give people the advantage of anonymity to hide behind a mask however I think that over a long period of time of reading someones posts, some of the camouflage begins to wear off and it begins to get easier to identify the winners and losers at life, the optomists and pessimists, the smart and the not so smart, the good guys and the bad guys, etc. I personally give much more credibility to the posts of people that appear to have traits that I admire and respect. Fortunately ThaiVisa appears to have quite a few members that fall into that category. :o

Edited by jetjock