[OT] heavily discounting of EV in Australia [OT]

Somewhat OT but interesting.
Let me say at the outset that I am a staunch EV supporter, and for my next car purchase, I am considering a Neta or Ora. However, I hope the manufacturers won't make the same marketing mistakes they made in Australia.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/motoring/on-the-road/effectively-worthless-ev-bubble-bursts/news-story/f9337c5dc80ab4520ee253f692f137c5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, CharlesHolzhauer said:

Somewhat OT but interesting.
Let me say at the outset that I am a staunch EV supporter, and for my next car purchase, I am considering a Neta or Ora. However, I hope the manufacturers won't make the same marketing mistakes they made in Australia.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/motoring/on-the-road/effectively-worthless-ev-bubble-bursts/news-story/f9337c5dc80ab4520ee253f692f137c5

If you can run to it, the ORA Good Cat is a much better car than the Neta V (which is pretty good btw).  I would also look at the MG4, they are pretty cheap now and drive better than the other two.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Clearly biased and appallingly written article

"Cars have always been money pits" and (if true) "A brand new Tesla Model Y is now $11,400 cheaper. The Peugeot e2008 has been given a massive cut from $63,000 to $39,990. On the lower end of the market, a GWM Ora is down 20 per cent to $35,990." sounds pretty factual and alarming to me.

BYD has been making significant strides in the Australian market. Here’s a summary of their recent sales performance and ambitious goals:

In 2023, BYD sold 12,438 vehicles in Australia

Their intention is to double that number to 25,000 in 2024

Currently, they are 113% up on sales compared to the previous year

The EV bubble has most definitely not burst in Australia.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Does any of the EVs now have a battery which the manufacturer claims will be good for 10 years or more?

If the repair cost (buying a new battery because they can't be repaired) is more than the vehicle's value, then it just doesn't make any sense to buy the new battery.

It seems that this is not a real issue for the makers of EVs and their battery manufacturers (see comment from JBChiangRai). The fact is that battery technology is progressing rapidly. Batteries will likely become cheaper, and a completely different element might emerge, eliminating the need for rare earth or other scarce and expensive elements. New battery modules could replace the 'old' types. Technology doesn't stop here, and rest assured, the battery manufacturers are fully aware of your and others' concerns.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, CharlesHolzhauer said:

It seems that this is not a real issue for the makers of EVs and their battery manufacturers (see comment from JBChiangRai). The fact is that battery technology is progressing rapidly. Batteries will likely become cheaper, and a completely different element might emerge, eliminating the need for rare earth or other scarce and expensive elements. New battery modules could replace the 'old' types. Technology doesn't stop here, and rest assured, the battery manufacturers are fully aware of your and others' concerns.

Manufacturers want to sell more. And more.

They don't want things which last forever.

Sure, new technology will replace old technology - in new vehicles. And that makes the old vehicles even more obsolete.

There are very few examples where devices with old technology are adapted to work with new technology.

Old vehicles with old carburetors still work - and are relatively easy to repair. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

All cars are money pits with the exception of some limited supply exotica.

I paid the Thai equivalent of $10K from my car.  It gets over 50+ mph.  A typical trip to the dealer for the check-up and oil changes cost between 2K to 4K THB.

What you should have said is, "Cars are status symbols and the most status conscious consumers pour their hard earned cash into their status symbol's money pit."

There - fixed it!   :thumbsup:  Much more accurate.

1 hour ago, In the jungle said:

With very rare exceptions, such as the original Tesla Roadster, I cannot see there ever being classic EVs.

EVs are throw away cars.

Your sentimentality seems to be getting the better of you.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

The usual negative fiction from the EV haters, so how about some facts for balance 

Several AN members, including myself, bought the BYD Seal when it was launched in Thailand last year.

It comes with 8 years of 100% free servicing (parts and labour) 8 years warranty on the car and battery (guaranteed to not fall below 70% capacity) 

I chose the BYD Seal over the Tesla model 3 for the following reasons:

It was considerably cheaper,

it comes with LiFePO4 across the range which is far safer battery chemistry and has a far longer cycle life at the expense of energy density,

it comes with bi-directional charging.

As I am off-grid (no meter) I use the Seal for backup power for the house.

If in 8 years time the battery capacity has really dropped by 30% (unlikely as that would mean BYD would have had to fork out for many batteries that had fallen below 70%) I would still have nearly 5 Tesla Power-walls of backup energy storage. Meaning the seal would be worth far more than the average 8 year old car just in terms of energy storage alone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Most EV batteries are expected to last 20 years, they are guaranteed typically 8, just like most ICE engines are guaranteed 3 years.

factory car warranty lifespan ranges from 3 years to 10 years depending on Brand and country

Here in Thailand Ford offer 10 year warranty on its powertrain ( engine and  transmission guaranteed for 10 years or 150,000 km)

In the UK some brands offer 7 year warranties on all their cars MG UK for example offer 7 year warranty while other countries only get 4 year warranty 

All Toyota and Lexus models UK  are covered by a three-year/100,000-mile warranty. Though that isn’t too much to scream home about, there is an extra sweetener.

A scheme introduced in 2021 can see that warranty boosted with each service. Toyota’s new ‘Relax’ warranty sees you given another year of coverage every time you have your car serviced at an authorised dealer.

This is valid for up to 10 years from your car’s date of manufacture and covers cars already sold by the manufacturer if you’re in the used market.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/best/cars-with-good-warranties-0170

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, UWEB said:

Sky News Australia is the same as Fox News in the US, so what else you are expecting from them.

Fox news is watched by more people than CNN, MSNBC or any other news outlet, so what is your point?