Squatters USA

Previously I noted on the forum about illegal squatters in the USA...today there is an article in the Atlanta News First (AFN) report about squatting in Georgia now is becoming a state wide phenomonom with some homeowners are trying to be evicted, charge rent on their own homes, as well as vacant homes being "sold" by owners deceased many years prior to the transfer papers!  An interesting article and shows how widespread this is in Georgia as well as how it is being done successfully at first and shows how current laws do not

even address this activity.  So, NY is not alone.  Scams are only allowed to become widespread due to blatant criminal activity and unscrupulous government officials that allow it to happen.  What would you do if you came home and were told you are

trespassing on someone else's property?

It is becoming more common and states need to pass legislation in favor for the owners.

My condo is locked and vacant 9 months a year while I’m in Thailand.  While a proper screening of tenants can lessen the chance of squatters, I decided against renting it out.  It’s always available when I go back.

Being in a secure building will lessen the chance of my place being squatted in while I’m gone.

That being said if my condo was squatted in and if they think I’m going to walk away,  they will be pleasantly surprised.

Hopefully they will be coming out of their coma by the time I’m getting out of jail.  And if they’re still there,  I’ll do it again.

Because I’m stupid.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

My Thai wife has a couple vacant houses here in LOS.  She goes there regularly to check things out, cut the grass to make an appeearance if not a presence. She says a squat in LOS can become permanent after ten years if no owner showed up.

Squatting is a big problem in France. Takes usually two years and expensive lawyer and court fees to evict squatters. As in the US the law is much more on the squatter's side than on the legal property owners. Owners could get up to two years jail time and heavy fines if they tried to evict the squatters themselves.

Other than the occasional and temporary church and vacant commercial building in Brussels squatting is not a problem in Belgium.

I'm a bit surprised The Dems & the GOP haven't yet openly picked an opposing side to make it a political issue (e.g., empathetic vs cruel heart, or oppressed vs oppressor). 

Seems like most other issues have to be political (e.g., mask vs unmask, close schools vs keep them open (same for border)).

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, OneZero said:

I'm a bit surprised The Dems & the GOP haven't yet openly picked an opposing side to make it a political issue (e.g., empathetic vs cruel heart, or oppressed vs oppressor). 

Seems like most other issues have to be political (e.g., mask vs unmask, close schools vs keep them open (same for border)).

That is why governors of various states have taken up the issue of squatters in their state to change laws to protect the owners as too many liberal judges/lawyers bend towards the squatters and other criminals.

• Agree 2

This has been going on long time in Europe.

The first big one was in Denmark - Christiania "Free Town".

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/05/realestate/christiania-denmark.html

In Spain during 2006 bank crises they took over towns too. Most buildings were half finished. And still are.

Squatters are renting room for tourists for cheap!

There's very lax law enforcement to kick them out;

"Under Spanish law, squatting is not explicitly permitted; however, certain conditions may provide squatters with some level of legal standing. For instance, if a property is not adequately secured and is left unattended, it becomes vulnerable to occupation."

If/when cost of living gets so expensive regular working class can't afford home I feel it OK. I say that knowing I may become a victim too...

4 hours ago, GypsyT said:

This has been going on long time in Europe.

The first big one was in Denmark - Christiania "Free Town".

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/05/realestate/christiania-denmark.html

In Spain during 2006 bank crises they took over towns too. Most buildings were half finished. And still are.

Squatters are renting room for tourists for cheap!

There's very lax law enforcement to kick them out;

"Under Spanish law, squatting is not explicitly permitted; however, certain conditions may provide squatters with some level of legal standing. For instance, if a property is not adequately secured and is left unattended, it becomes vulnerable to occupation."

If/when cost of living gets so expensive regular working class can't afford home I feel it OK. I say that knowing I may become a victim too...

In the city of San Francisco, Calf I heard on the news that there are NO HOUSES for sale under ONE MILLION US DOLLARS!  I believe that means most of the citizens there!

On 6/3/2024 at 6:11 PM, G_Money said:

It is becoming more common and states need to pass legislation in favor for the owners.

My condo is locked and vacant 9 months a year while I’m in Thailand.  While a proper screening of tenants can lessen the chance of squatters, I decided against renting it out.  It’s always available when I go back.

Being in a secure building will lessen the chance of my place being squatted in while I’m gone.

That being said if my condo was squatted in and if they think I’m going to walk away,  they will be pleasantly surprised.

Hopefully they will be coming out of their coma by the time I’m getting out of jail.  And if they’re still there,  I’ll do it again.

Because I’m stupid.

• Love It 1

I saw something just the other day about Georgia changing their laws.  Squatting is now more difficult there.  

The law varies from state to state, but it’s easy to see how the squatters can get away with the scam. Anyway, there are always people trying to game the system.  

In California, businesses have sprung up to combat the problem. Basically, the real homeowner hires a goon squad to make life difficult for the squatters.  The goons get a lease from the homeowner, somehow gain entry to the property, and proceed to make life extremely difficult for the squatters. If the police show up, the goons have a lease, so it’s again, a civil matter.

• Thanks 1