Elderly man arrested for branded shoe theft at Bangkok temple

snoop1130

4-ฉก5.jpg

A 69 year old man has been arrested for stealing expensive branded shoes from outside a renowned temple in Bangkok. The suspect confessed to selling the stolen shoes at a low price in the second-hand market.

On June 4, the Superintendent of Samran Rat Police Station, Police Colonel Thotsaphon Ampaipipatkul alongside the investigation team ordered the arrest of the 69 year old Thirawat for shoe theft.

He was caught with a pair of white and grey New Balance shoes in front of the main chapel of Wat Suthat, located in the Sao Chingcha district of Phra Nakhon, Bangkok.

The arrest followed a report filed on May 25 by a victim who visited Wat Suthat. The victim had left his shoes outside the chapel for about an hour and returned to find them missing.

The authorities reviewed CCTV footage from the area, which showed an elderly Thai man picking out the shoes. The footage led the police to identify the suspect, who matched the description of an individual previously reported for similar thefts.

Further scrutiny of the CCTV evidence revealed that the suspect was attempting to steal another pair of shoes from Wat Suthat. The police intervened and apprehended him on the spot.

During questioning, the suspect admitted to being the same person who had stolen the branded shoes. He revealed that he had kept the stolen shoes in a rented room in Nonthaburi, intending to sell them as second-hand goods at a lower price.

The suspect also confessed that he specifically targeted expensive branded shoes and had committed similar thefts multiple times before being caught in the act this time.

The police have charged him with theft or receiving stolen property and transferred him to the Samran Rat Police Station for further investigations, reported Khaosod.

Wat Suthat, a significant cultural and religious site in Bangkok, attracts numerous visitors daily. Incidents like these disrupt the peaceful environment and cause inconvenience to devotees.

This incident highlights the effectiveness of CCTV surveillance in solving crimes. The police’s swift response and thorough investigation led to the arrest of the suspect, ensuring that justice was served and preventing further thefts in the area.

By Nattapong Westwood

Image courtesy of Khaosod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-06-04

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The suspect also confessed that he specifically targeted expensive branded shoes and had committed similar thefts multiple times before being caught in the act this time.

I guess he thought the head covering and mask was enough to evade identification by the CCTV

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Did the belong to monks.......:giggle:

• Haha 1

Back in the 80's, I once had a pair of expensive Timberland sandals swiped at a temple in Bangkok.  I was really pissed off.  Someone loaned me a pair of rubber flip flops until I could get another pair of shoes.