Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

3 hours ago, Presnock said:

did read that some rich senior folks are not too happy either with these earlier changes to the tax laws.  They are more likely to be affected than the expats, But TIT so no one really knows anything actual yet.

Old folks generally are unhappier and complain more. Nothing to do all day. 

There are no changes to the tax laws and won't be, Imho. 

Pensioners are still expats. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

The poster to whom you are replying lives in Georgia, USA.  

He couldn't hack it in Thailand but logs on here occasionally to slag on those of us who live here.  

Actually he was replying to me & I have never been to Georgia 😉 I live in Northern Thailand at the moment ....Perhaps you think he is replying to someone else?

Edited by mania

3 minutes ago, Lorry said:

To call a published rule of the TRD a rumour...

I have heard of a rumour that drivers should stop at a red light. Just a rumour.

Taxing people doesn't give the tax payer any rights at all, in any country. 

Example: Many slaves  foreign workers in the middle east pay taxes there - that doesn't give them any rights. 

There is no new rule making foreigners even get a tax ID. All hogwash. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, anrcaccount said:

Very well said.

People on here get lost in theoretical debate, one of the things forgotten is actually what a "remittance" really is.

Essentially, it's a citizen ( in your example Thai) , working overseas and sending money back to their home country. 

We can argue black & blue about whether it includes a foreigner using an ATM , or their home country credit card, but these all pale in comparison to what a remittance 'really' is ( regardless of legal definition).

In a developing country like Thailand, remittances play a huge part in the economy.  

Indeed, and my bank, SCB even facilitate remittances using cryptocurrencies. For now, I believe only between Japan and Thailand. 

I talked with a former Finance Minister, Kuhn Korn who said all currencies are going to be digitalized and are the future of remittances. 

4 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

Very well said.

People on here get lost in theoretical debate, one of the things forgotten is actually what a "remittance" really is.

Essentially, it's a citizen ( in your example Thai) , working overseas and sending money back to their home country. 

We can argue black & blue about whether it includes a foreigner using an ATM , or their home country credit card, but these all pale in comparison to what a remittance 'really' is ( regardless of legal definition).

In a developing country like Thailand, remittances play a huge part in the economy.  

A remittance is not determined by a persons nationality, a remittance has a very clear definition in the English language which is no different from the TRD interpretation.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chiang mai said:

A remittance is not determined by a persons nationality, a remittance has a very clear definition in the English language which is no different from the TRD interpretation.  

For the record, we are talking cross-border remittance,  which can greatly impact both the sender's and receiver's economies

• Confused 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

For the record, we are talking cross-border remittance,  which can greatly impact both the sender's and receiver's economies

Agreed, but it still doesn't change what I said about the definition being very well established and understood.

• Like 2

I normally file my tax myself through the Revenue Department's E-FILING webpage. However, this year, I noticed there is a form for reporting foreign income. Has this always been there or is it part of the new requirement? The description seems to indicate it is for foreigners, not Thai citizens.

e-filing.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, skraach said:

I normally file my tax myself through the Revenue Department's E-FILING webpage. However, this year, I noticed there is a form for reporting foreign income. Has this always been there or is it part of the new requirement? The description seems to indicate it is for foreigners, not Thai citizens.

e-filing.png

@Guavaman may know.

3 hours ago, skraach said:

The description seems to indicate it is for foreigners, not Thai citizens.

Indeed, the first one is 'form for expat's income'. 

Second part says ' form for foreigners income information'. 

Nothing about earnings earned abroad or remittance. 

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Indeed, the first one is 'form for expat's income'. 

Second part says ' form for foreigners income information'. 

Nothing about earnings earned abroad or remittance. 

Which is interesting, are they not interested in the Thai citizens foreign sourced income?

Or perhaps this is a special page for known foreigners and they kept it in Thai just to help us out as much as possible,