Tile Resurfacing Options

StevieAus

On 6/7/2024 at 2:36 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe you should check how well the existing tiles are installed. I know you can knock on the top and that is one way to know if they are not well connected to the floor. Maybe there are also other ways to do that.

If the existing tiles are not properly installed then I think you should not put new tiles on bad installed old tiles.

And as far as I know when tiles are installed on top of existing tiles then the surface of the existing tiles must be prepared (like with a hammer, put some little holes in it so that the new tiles have something to connect. I am sure that is also "a mess". I don't know if that mess is a lot smaller compared to removing the existing tiles completely.

They video which I published above is from a guy who has hundreds of videos about tiles, and he clearly knows what he is talking about. I am sure he has also a video or two about tiles on tiles.

Thanks

On 6/30/2024 at 7:35 AM, Muhendis said:

Whilst looking for something vaguely related to epoxy flooring I stumbled across this.

https://www.epoxydee.com/15848403/โพลียูรีเทน-โค้ทติ้ง-pu-coating 

Hope this helps.

Thanks will follow up just wondering though if clear and shiny may be slippery when wet which is the problem I have now with the ceramic tiles

4 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Thanks will follow up just wondering though if clear and shiny may be slippery when wet which is the problem I have now with the ceramic tiles

Same problem for everyone. I blow some air when necessary. The water is greasy/BKK... less slippery after using liquid soap. 

I found some textured tiles for a bathroom many years ago but stores didn't have much choice.

I've just done my bathroom in the UK with vinyl click flooring and wonder if it's available in Thailand?

It's in 1220 x 180mm planks, like a laminate, has a fake wood finish but is only 4.5mm thick on a 1mm underlay and so not a big step to a neighbouring room. Being vinyl, water ingress is not a problem.

On 6/8/2024 at 8:23 AM, Dante99 said:

It is really not that bad, generally done in a day, two at most.  I have done it and recommend it as opposed to laying new tile on top of old.

Isn't it going to spray dust all over everything?  Lots and lots of furniture, important files, computer, prinetr etcets  in these ares not to mention my while kitchen and living room is connected to it.  I shudder to even think of it. a

I am not considering new tiles on top, as mentioned don't want the tiled areas to be higher than the parquet floors they are adjacent to,

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Isn't it going to spray dust all over everything?  Lots and lots of furniture, important files, computer, prinetr etcets  in these ares not to mention my while kitchen and living room is connected to it.  I shudder to even think of it. a

I am not considering new tiles on top, as mentioned don't want the tiled areas to be higher than the parquet floors they are adjacent to,

Old tiles and cement removed with chisel and hammer, not a machine.  Very little dust, can wet the surface before removing to almost eliminate dust.  We did open plan kitchen and really no problem in the living room it opened into.

16 hours ago, London Lowf said:

I've just done my bathroom in the UK with vinyl click flooring and wonder if it's available in Thailand?

It's in 1220 x 180mm planks, like a laminate, has a fake wood finish but is only 4.5mm thick on a 1mm underlay and so not a big step to a neighbouring room. Being vinyl, water ingress is not a problem.

I wouldn’t use it in a bathroom.

It may be impervious to water but water underneath would be problematic.

A fully sealed shower enclosure and a big bathmat would be mandatory I’d think.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HighPriority said:

I wouldn’t use it in a bathroom.

It may be impervious to water but water underneath would be problematic.

A fully sealed shower enclosure and a big bathmat would be mandatory I’d think.

A good point as most Thai bathrooms are a wetroom and so laminate or vinyl planks would be unsuitable.

I have a seperate walk-in shower tray (with a bath mat outside!) and full-sized glass screen and so my flooring is not subject to more than the odd splash.

• Thumbs Up 1