Apollo 8 Astronaut William Anders Dies in Tragic Plane Crash

image.png

William Anders, the renowned Apollo 8 astronaut who captured the iconic "Earthrise" photo, died at age 90 in a plane crash near the San Juan Islands. The tragic incident occurred on Friday when the vintage Air Force T-34 Mentor plane he was piloting nose-dived into the waters near Orcas and Jones Islands.

The devastating news was confirmed by Greg Anders, William's son, who expressed the family's deep sorrow. “The family is devastated,” he stated. “He was a great pilot. He will be missed.” Witnesses reported seeing the aircraft performing a loop maneuver before it crashed into the water. Philip Person, who witnessed the crash from a nearby cabin, recounted the horrifying scene to KING News. “I could not believe what I was seeing in front of my eyes,” Person said. “It looked like something right out of a movie or special effects. With the large explosion and flames and everything.” 

The crash has prompted an investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration. Officials from the San Juan County Sheriff’s Office, the US Coast Guard, and the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife responded to the crash site. William Anders' legacy extends far beyond his tragic end. He was part of the historic Apollo 8 mission, the first manned mission to leave Earth's gravitational sphere and orbit the Moon. This mission was a pivotal moment in space exploration, and Anders played a crucial role as the lunar module pilot.

On December 24, 1968, during the mission, Anders took the famous "Earthrise" photograph. This image, showing Earth rising over the lunar horizon, became one of the most influential photographs in history. It not only captured the beauty of our planet but also highlighted its fragility, inspiring the environmental movement of the late 1960s. Reflecting on the impact of the "Earthrise" photo, Anders told Forbes in a 2015 interview, “The view points out the beauty of Earth, and its fragility. It helped kick start the environmental movement.”

US Senator Mark Kelly of Arizona, a former NASA astronaut, paid tribute to Anders on social media. “Bill Anders forever changed our perspective of our planet and ourselves with his famous Earthrise photo on Apollo 8,” he wrote. “He inspired me and generations of astronauts and explorers. My thoughts are with his family and friends.” Before his career with NASA, Anders served as a major in the Air Force. His contributions to space exploration and his remarkable photographic legacy have left an indelible mark on history. His tragic death is a significant loss to the space community and to all who were inspired by his work and life.

As the investigation into the crash continues, the world remembers William Anders not just as a skilled pilot and astronaut but as a visionary who brought the Earth’s beauty and vulnerability into sharp focus. His contributions to space exploration and environmental awareness will be remembered for generations to come.

Credit: The Independent 2024-06-08

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

"Tragic plane crash"? When are plan crashes not tragic?

Incidentally, you cite The Independent.  Its headline "Famed Apollo 8 astronaut William Anders, 90, dies in horror crash when his plane nose-dives into waters".

The Independent makes a lot more sense.  Why did you mess with it pointlessly?

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Sometimes when you get to that age it's time to stop doing what you used to be able to do well and except getting old. I know I have.  

He was nothing like you, and what has age got to do with what looks like a plane failure...:coffee1:

• Confused 3

7 hours ago, transam said:

He was nothing like you, and what has age got to do with what looks like a plane failure...:coffee1:

Actually, it looks like the pilot was incapacitated *or* the crash was intentional.

• Agree 1

I had a great Uncle who was a consultant for Boeing,  His last job at age 93 was to fly to Saudi Arabia to figure out why there was vibrations in a new plane delivered to one of the Royal family members.  He stopped by for a visit after solving the problem.  Flew back from Saudi Arabia to Philadelphia, rented a car, visited family still living in NJ and then flies to his home in OH.  He had been flying since before WWII, in WWII, and spent a lot of time flying US made planes to Israel after the became a country.  His only problem was getting up after he had be sitting for a period of time.  His mind was much better at 93 than I am now at 76. He died a short time after "retirement."

A glorious end to an incredible career kudos to you sir you were one exceptional person rip and thanks for your incredible contributions to all of mankind 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Actually, it looks like the pilot was incapacitated *or* the crash was intentional.

Could be, we will see...........🤗