Storm havoc: Jomtien Beach eroded and unsafe

snoop1130

27 minutes ago, johng said:

Well they certainly did a "Hong Kong Phooey"   and repaired the damage 

quicker than the human eye 😋

WOT??? OMG. But YOU said . . . .

Well, on to the next sneer . . . we got a million of 'em.

21 hours ago, impulse said:

All around the world, beach renewal is a constant cost of attracting tourists. Each storm washes the sand out to sea, and the dredges send it back.   I don't know why Jomtien would be any different.  Unless they're like some places where they let the beaches disappear and lose all the tourists before they act.

Yes.  I don't know why this is always such a big deal with posters.  If you're a beach town you preserve and protect your biggest asset--the beach.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, CallumWK said:

Obviously, they have never heard about wave breachers here.

Groynes where I come from on the very eastern most part of the UK, and they work!

File:Groynes at Lowestoft Beach ...

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Groynes where I come from on the very eastern most part of the UK, and they work!

File:Groynes at Lowestoft Beach ...

What an inviting place to throw down a mat and have a lovely picnic straddling a brace. Maybe just nail up a beach umbrella.

And that looks SO much better than this crappy Thai botch job:

Reconstructed Pattaya Beach officially opened | Thaiger

Fact: Thailand needs to send its ignorant Beach Reclamation Engineers over to the UK to learn how to make Pattaya look more like properly engineered, beautiful Blackpool. Way to do it. NO erosion! Tourism will go thru the roof!

beachgoers-enjoy-sun-sea-blackpool-78647

• Sad 3

12 hours ago, BigStar said:

What an inviting place to throw down a mat and have a lovely picnic straddling a brace. Maybe just nail up a beach umbrella.

And that looks SO much better than this crappy Thai botch job:

Reconstructed Pattaya Beach officially opened | Thaiger

Fact: Thailand needs to send its ignorant Beach Reclamation Engineers over to the UK to learn how to make Pattaya look more like properly engineered, beautiful Blackpool. Way to do it. NO erosion! Tourism will go thru the roof!

beachgoers-enjoy-sun-sea-blackpool-78647

Guess it depends which view you take, the use of groynes  vastly reduces the erosion on beaches particularly on exposed coasts. Despite the structures on the beach still looks quite good does it not? And they don't have to replace the sand after each high tide.

South Beach at Lowestoft © Mat Fascione ...

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Guess it depends which view you take, the use of groynes  vastly reduces the erosion on beaches particularly on exposed coasts. Despite the structures on the beach still looks quite good does it not? And they don't have to replace the sand after each high tide.

South Beach at Lowestoft © Mat Fascione ...

Perhaps they could install rainbow-coloured groynes to celebrate Pride ,(since Jomtien beach seems to be a magnet for these types).  Sort of 'Come and grope my groin in the groynes..'

• Haha 2

On 6/11/2024 at 5:56 PM, snoop1130 said:

Pattaya-3-Ferocious-storms-carve-sandy-cliffs-into-Jomtien-beach.jpg

Jomtien Beach was battered by fierce winds and waves yesterday, causing devastating erosion across a 1,000-metre stretch opposite the Pu Pen Restaurant.

Ekkarach Kantharo, Director of the Pattaya Regional Marine Department Office, confirmed the damage was a result of monsoon conditions that have unleashed storms and towering waves on the Gulf of Thailand. The reinforced sand on Jomtien Beach, extending 2.8 kilometres, was no match for the powerful waves.

A 1,000-metre section had its sand swept into the sea, while a 400-metre portion was gouged into a steep 1.5-metre slope. This precarious incline presents a serious hazard to the public and tourists, particularly after dark. Consequently, the area has been temporarily cordoned off.

To tackle the danger, urgent safety measures are in progress. The Pattaya Marine Department and Na Jomtien Municipality are deploying heavy machinery to level the treacherous slopes. Efforts are underway to reclaim the sand from the sea and redistribute it, a process expected to take two to three days. Warning signs are being erected to alert the public and visitors about the erosion, advising them to stay clear of the area for now.

Rapeephan Rattanaliem, Mayor of Na Jomtien sub-district, reassured that the municipality is swiftly addressing the disruptions caused by the erosion. Over the past two days, public health officials have been clearing sand from roads, and water trucks have been dispatched to wash the streets.

In collaboration with the Pattaya Marine Department, plans are in place to plant trees along the beach to prevent future sand encroachments. Heavy machinery will persist in levelling the sand to form a safer gradient. Public announcements will be made to inform residents and tourists to avoid the area temporarily, even for photography and other activities, reported Pattaya Mail.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of Pattaya Mail

Source: The Thaiger 2024-06-11

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

now the coral reefs damaged by heat/sun this year will probably suffer from being buried by all this sand being reclaimed by the storms.

On 6/12/2024 at 8:46 AM, RobU said:

In the UK we had breakers which were very heavy low wooden walls which extended from the seawall to the low tide mark every 20 to 30 metres This broke the wave and compartmentalised the sand, preventing it from washing away. However I suppose they are considered unsightly 

They are called Groynes. just saying.

groins.webp.87df1b919982c960d65a5fa891ad31a3.webp

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Not as far as I know, but I suppose it would depend on longshore current. 

1542395_orig.jpg.d3a7a172339ddf2cdfb9d0642da5b672.jpg

I asked this question because I spent my childhood on the Dorset coast. To the east of Bournemouth, there were groynes every couple of hundred yards for miles and miles, and I remember the local councils deciding not to build more. The reason they gave, I think, was that there was accelerated erosion behind the groyne, as your diagram seems to suggest. However, I am talking about 30 or 40 years ago, so I could be quite wrong.