Medicin into Thailand

glegolo18

Hi I have a question that I like a friend of mine with an answer with.

Let´s say;

- I live in Thailand on full time basis,

- I need syringes for my cancer

- I want to have them sent/delivered to Thailand (from Sweden) via mail or friends..

I have heard that one need some kind of documents for allowing this specially needed import..... So if I need a doctor-certificate, that is no problem, but if the said medicin is brought via a friend living in Sweden to me in Thailand, do he need some kind of Proxy from me to act on my behalf....

Hope I explained so you guys understand....

Thank you,

I cannot fully answer your question, but based on my own experience on buying meds from India:

You are only allowed to bring in sufficient for your personal needs and that is to be carried by yourself on entering the country.

By extension, the law may be stretched/interpreted to allow for you to receive same via postal mail, in my experience.

Note that there is a good chance that your postal meds be held back in customs and you would need to visit the customs office in your area, and justify the import and pay tax.

Best done by having a script for same from a Thai doctor.

‘Sufficient for your personal needs’ means one month’s supply – this could be 2 month’s supply or more, if meds are visually ‘small’.

If you want to receive say 30 syringes for one month’s supply, then maybe ok by you carrying in person, but I believe that would need a lot of explanation if you had to visit customs.

In my case, I received two small bottles of 30 tablets on each occasion

My success rate on receiving directly without visiting customs, was 50%.

Don’t think other people can transit for you.

I believe any quantities larger than for personal use, require an import license - a much different issue.

Hope that helps, others may elaborate.

For people to bring medication in with them, provided it is not a narcotic or other controlled substance, need only proof that it was prescribed to them. There is a limit of 30 day supply but not strictly enforced in practice as long as the quantity looks consistent with personal use.

I realize in this instance it would be being brought in for someone else. Technically an issue since the prescribed person's name would differ from the traveler. But in practice,  unlikely to be a problem (though if could arrange for the prescription to be in name of the person bringing it, would be better).

To have medication shipped in, requires an FDA license that is difficult and expensive to get, and usually requires that the medication in question be unavailable in Thailand. Is that the case here?

This thread describes the process of importing medication by mail legally into Thailand using a courier:  https://aseannow.com/topic/1178361-importing-personal-meds-via-dhl/

Another option which some use is to import just a small quantity, without FDA license, and hope it gets through.  In that instance, should use regular post and not a courier; courier packages will always be held up by customs and won't get through without FDA license. But so far, at east, customs seems to usually let through mall packages of personal (non-controlled) medications most of the time.  Never, ever try this with a narcotic or other controlled substance.

A factor you need to consider, if sending by regular mail, is whether the medication  can be safely exposed to heat, because it will be, in transit. If the medication needs to be kept below a certain temperature sending regular mail is not a good idea. And, as explained, sending by courier requires a special FDA license, difficult and time-consuming to get, and possible only if the drug in question is not available in Thailand.

If the medication you refer to is a narcotic, disregard all that has been said above. It can only be brought in by the person it is prescribed for with advance permission form the FDA (nto same thin gas the aforementioned FDA license, this is a special narcotic permit).

It would greatly help to know the name of the medication in questions.

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

For people to bring medication in with them, provided it is not a narcotic or other controlled substance, need only proof that it was prescribed to them. There is a limit of 30 day supply but not strictly enforced in practice as long as the quantity looks consistent with personal use.

I realize in this instance it would be being brought in for someone else. Technically an issue since the prescribed person's name would differ from the traveler. But in practice,  unlikely to be a problem (though if could arrange for the prescription to be in name of the person bringing it, would be better).

To have medication shipped in, requires an FDA license that is difficult and expensive to get, and usually requires that the medication in question be unavailable in Thailand. Is that the case here?

This thread describes the process of importing medication by mail legally into Thailand using a courier:  https://aseannow.com/topic/1178361-importing-personal-meds-via-dhl/

Another option which some use is to import just a small quantity, without FDA license, and hope it gets through.  In that instance, should use regular post and not a courier; courier packages will always be held up by customs and won't get through without FDA license. But so far, at east, customs seems to usually let through mall packages of personal (non-controlled) medications most of the time.  Never, ever try this with a narcotic or other controlled substance.

A factor you need to consider, if sending by regular mail, is whether the medication  can be safely exposed to heat, because it will be, in transit. If the medication needs to be kept below a certain temperature sending regular mail is not a good idea. And, as explained, sending by courier requires a special FDA license, difficult and time-consuming to get, and possible only if the drug in question is not available in Thailand.

If the medication you refer to is a narcotic, disregard all that has been said above. It can only be brought in by the person it is prescribed for with advance permission form the FDA (nto same thin gas the aforementioned FDA license, this is a special narcotic permit).

It would greatly help to know the name of the medication in questions.

Thank you so much Sheryl. My friend gave me the name of the medicin in the syringes... It is:

Enanton Depot Dual 30mg

Being used for, yes you know what....

Edited by glegolo18

Thus drug needs to be stored below 25 C which rules out having it sent to him by regular mail.

It is available in Thailand, which rules out getting FDA license to bring it  by courier -- a process that in any case might cost more than getting it locally. 

Why does he not just get this in Thailand? His condition needs regular monitoring by an oncologist in any case. 

25 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Thus drug needs to be stored below 25 C which rules out having it sent to him by regular mail.

It is available in Thailand, which rules out getting FDA license to bring it  by courier -- a pr8cess that in any case might cost more than getting it locally. 

Why does he not just get this in Thailand? His condition needs regular monitoring by an oncologist in zny case. 

He claims that the cost here in Thailand is extremely expensive for each shot...