Putin Promises 'Immediate' Peace if Ukraine Drops NATO Bid and Cedes Occupied Territories

3 hours ago, rabas said:

I'm the case that breaks your theory. I love Russia and it's people. I grew up in cold war Europe, traveled throughout Russia, Ukraine, the Iron Curtain countries, and East Berlin. saw what Hitler had done and Russia was doing. I have close, long time Russian friends. My strong anti Putin's Russia views come from them. 

Maybe your views of the world are too simple. 

Too simple?  It’s all complicated, to be sure, but when I’m trying to explain my thoughts, I try to keep it simple.  Explain things as I would to a five-year-old. As we know, if you can’t do that, maybe it’s because you don’t really understand it yourself.

I didn’t grow up in Eastern Europe. I’ve never visited Russia or Ukraine and I don’t know anyone from either place. I grew up in America, in an upper middle class old money neighborhood.  I had a sheltered existence. Country clubs, private schools, and so on. I could always have anything I wanted and I’m pretty sure I’ve spent as many years in school as I ever did working a job. It never crossed my mind that I was fortunate.  Things were the way they were because that’s the way they were supposed to be.  I was naive. I never really questioned the narrative, at least as a kid. But somewhere along the line, I began to question authority. I began to open my eyes. Maybe things aren’t so simple. Or are they? And even if they are complicated, maybe they can be simply explained.

Evil people are at work. That’s pretty simple, no?  But those people want you to look elsewhere. They have to have a boogeyman. “It’s not us, it’s those evil people over on the other side of the world.” The Communists, the Russians, the terrorists.  And while people are arguing with each other, others are laughing in the background, watching their bank accounts grow. 

I’m sure people everywhere are tired of the nonsense. Point out the obvious, and they’ll call you a “conspiracy theorist.”  Fine.

Lately, a lot of the so-called conspiracy theories are no longer conspiracy theories.  They’re the truth.

Sorry for the rambling.  

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, jas007 said:

I agree.  “We never saw this coming! Russia was bluffing.”  That’s really what they’ll say, if they’re still around to say anything.

Propaganda is dangerous. Censorship is dangerous.  You end up with a population of people who can only regurgitate the narrative they’ve been fed.

Stand on a busy street in any major American city and question the people walking by. See what they know about Russia and world politics.

-A large percentage would not be able to locate Russia on a map.

-A large percentage would not know that the Soviet Union no longer exists.

- A large percentage would think that Russia has a weak and ineffective military.

- A large percentage would think that the Russian economy is in shambles and that the country still exists only to function as a gas station for the rest of Europe.

- A larger percentage would think that Russia is an enemy of the United States, and that Putin (assuming they know who he is) is a dictator who enjoys killing women and children.

-A large percent would think that the Russian people are “bad people.”

-and the list goes on.

Russian art, literature, and music?  Not part of the narrative. Real Russian history? Ditto.  

Even members of congress might hold these views.  Not because they actually know anything, but because those are the things they’ve been told to believe. And so the world is being led to war so that a few defense contractors can make a few more dollars.

Sounds to me like you just described a huge swath of this threads’ posters.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, jas007 said:

Jeffrey Sachs has impeccable credentials. A tenured Harvard professor at an early age, now a professor at Columbia.  And yet, because he thinks for himself and has a viewpoint that’s not in lockstep with the mainstream narrative, he’s a “Putin apologist.”  A line of reasoning that’s an excellent example of everything wrong with today’s media and how it’s now being used as propaganda.  Anyone who doesn’t agree with the mainstream narrative is an idiot!  And people are dumb enough to believe that.  Amazing, if you stop and think about it l. 

And yet there are some retirees in a backwater country thinking they know more about what’s happening in the world than him. What a joke.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Agree 1

On 6/20/2024 at 6:10 PM, spidermike007 said:

Putin is an absolute desperado. He would have to be, to travel to North Korea, which is hell on earth. He is increasingly isolated, and if it were not for oil, gas and minerals, Russia would have already collapsed. He is a serial killer, and seems to enjoy inflicting pain, and slaughtering women and children. His increasing tens of billions of dollars in extorted fortune makes him feel great power, but he is a boil on the face of humanity.  

if it were not for oil, gas and minerals, Russia would have already collapsed.

There is a lot of that going on!

Do you think Saudis would have advanced from a bunch of camel riders living in mud houses if they didn't have a large puddle of oil under them? I lived there so I have some idea of their mentality, and IMO they would not have.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/21/2024 at 6:53 AM, jas007 said:

Evil people are at work. That’s pretty simple, no?  But those people want you to look elsewhere. They have to have a boogeyman. “It’s not us, it’s those evil people over on the other side of the world.” The Communists, the Russians, the terrorists.  And while people are arguing with each other, others are laughing in the background, watching their bank accounts grow. 

Agree. If Russia didn't exist the neocons would have to invent an enemy to "unite the people" against.

I read that in a book, think it was called 1984. The only thing he got wrong was the date.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/21/2024 at 5:16 AM, jas007 said:

If anything, I worry about today’s Western leaders and how they’re going down the same path towards war and destruction to cover their own failings in the financial arena. Have you not been paying attention?  

I think they are too incompetent to know what they do. IMO it's the men behind the curtain that control them. ( see Wizard of Oz if you don't understand the reference ).

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I agree, the Western “leaders” are mostly clueless. That’s partially a function of group mentality and partially a function of all the propaganda they’ve been fed, just like the rest of the public. Of course, many of them aren’t too bright to begin with. Assemble them into a congress and they become mostly incompetent.  Geopolitics isn’t necessarily their strong suit.

Don’t forget, by definition, half the US population has an IQ of less than 100. And some of those people end up in congress, a place many would like to remain.  They aren’t paid much, but many end up with millions in the bank. And you can guess how that happens.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, jas007 said:

I agree, the Western “leaders” are mostly clueless. That’s partially a function of group mentality and partially a function of all the propaganda they’ve been fed, just like the rest of the public. Of course, many of them aren’t too bright to begin with. Assemble them into a congress and they become mostly incompetent.  Geopolitics isn’t necessarily their strong suit.

Don’t forget, by definition, half the US population has an IQ of less than 100. And some of those people end up in congress, a place many would like to remain.  They aren’t paid much, but many end up with millions in the bank. And you can guess how that happens.

100 is the average, not the median. 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

I just looked up "Bell Curve", I was right. 

Do you have a link?  I tried to post one, but I couldn’t figure out how.  Normally, I don’t post links, but since we’re talking about a known concept, I figured it wouldn’t hurt.

Post contavening community standards has been removed:

27. You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Only post a link, the headline and three sentences from the article. Content in the public domain is limited to the same restrictions.

Well, I still haven’t figured out how to post a link and make it work, at least with my IPad.  And they say a copy of the article isn’t allowed.

Just look up “Bell Curve” on Brainanalytics.org.

The Bell curve has a very definite definition.  It’s a statistical thing.  A model defining a “normal distribution.” In the model, both the median and the average are identical.

• Confused 1

If I’m allowed to post this, here’s the answer given by Chat GPT:

In the context of a Bell curve, which is typically used to describe a normal distribution, the median and average (mean) are indeed identical. This is one of the key properties of a normal distribution:

1. **Mean**: The average of all the data points. In a normal distribution, this is the center of the curve.
2. **Median**: The middle value when all the data points are ordered from smallest to largest. In a normal distribution, this also corresponds to the center of the curve.
3. **Mode**: The most frequently occurring value in the dataset. In a normal distribution, the mode is also at the center of the curve.

Because a normal distribution is symmetric around its center, the mean, median, and mode all coincide at the same point. Thus, in a perfectly normal (bell-shaped) distribution, the median and the mean are identical.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, jas007 said:

If I’m allowed to post this, here’s the answer given by Chat GPT:

In the context of a Bell curve, which is typically used to describe a normal distribution, the median and average (mean) are indeed identical. This is one of the key properties of a normal distribution:

1. **Mean**: The average of all the data points. In a normal distribution, this is the center of the curve.
2. **Median**: The middle value when all the data points are ordered from smallest to largest. In a normal distribution, this also corresponds to the center of the curve.
3. **Mode**: The most frequently occurring value in the dataset. In a normal distribution, the mode is also at the center of the curve.

Because a normal distribution is symmetric around its center, the mean, median, and mode all coincide at the same point. Thus, in a perfectly normal (bell-shaped) distribution, the median and the mean are identical.

I understand how the curve works, and the median and average do not mean (no pun intended) the same thing. 

But for purposes of the Bell curve, they are the same.  That’s the point.  That’s how a Bell curve works.  If it didn’t work that way, it wouldn’t be a Bell Curve.

I’m well aware of the fact that the term median and the term average are defined differently.  And depending on the distribution of items in a given set, the median number may be entirely different than the average number. Take the set of all people earning incomes. The “average income” is one thing, but the median income may be something else again.  People like Bill Gates and Elon Musk skew the curve. 

In any event, if you believe that IQ scores fall in a normal distribution (Bell curve), then half the people have an IQ of less than 100.  Nowhere did I mention “average “ or “median.”

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, jas007 said:

But for purposes of the Bell curve, they are the same.  That’s the point.  That’s how a Bell curve works.  If it didn’t work that way, it wouldn’t be a Bell Curve.

I’m well aware of the fact that the term median and the term average are defined differently.  And depending on the distribution of items in a given set, the median number may be entirely different than the average number. Take the set of all people earning incomes. The “average income” is one thing, but the median income may be something else again.  People like Bill Gates and Elon Musk skew the curve. 

In any event, if you believe that IQ scores fall in a normal distribution (Bell curve), then half the people have an IQ of less than 100.  Nowhere did I mention “average “ or “median.”

I do not believe that IQ scores fall in a normal distribution, that was you. 

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I do not believe that IQ scores fall in a normal distribution, that was you. 

Ok, that part is debatable.  Some people think the concept of the Bell curve describing IQ distribution is “racist” or somehow poorly reflects on certain groups of people.  So if the Bell Curve doesn’t apply, then you’re back to square one.  I didn’t mean to get into a debate about statistics.  My point was only that there are very many not so bright people running around, and a lot of them seem to have ended up in congress.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, jas007 said:

Ok, that part is debatable.  Some people think the concept of the Bell curve describing IQ distribution is “racist” or somehow poorly reflects on certain groups of people.  So if the Bell Curve doesn’t apply, then you’re back to square one.  I didn’t mean to get into a debate about statistics.  My point was only that there are very many not so bright people running around, and a lot of them seem to have ended up in congress.

The Bell curve is like a circle, in that it only truly existents in theory. 

I agree that there are a lot of not so bright people running around, and that a number of them end up in Congress, but that does not bother me. People do not need to be smart to run the county, they just need to follow the directions. What bothers me, is that so many otherwise bright people assume that people on TV or writing in a newspaper, or that is cited as an "expert", that they are smarter, and/or better informed than they are. 

If an "expert" sounds like they are full of cr*p, they likely are. Peo

Whatever you see on TV these days is BS. Sometimes the truth slips thorough, but that’s just an anomaly.  It’s mostly just propaganda.  A narrative.  Most  of the world figured that out long ago.  Turn on the TV and watch propaganda, or turn it off and go back to the real world and live your life.

As for stupid people ending up in Congress?  Normally, I figure it’s par for the course.   I don’t waste my time worrying about it. But today the nutcases are out of control.   Why have WW III?  Why?  People need to start speaking up.   

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

On 6/24/2024 at 5:34 PM, jas007 said:

I wonder how many of the warmongers used to love Lennon's song "give peace a chance" and vow to make the world a better place when they grew up?

• Confused 1

On 6/24/2024 at 11:38 PM, jas007 said:

Turn on the TV and watch propaganda, or turn it off and go back to the real world and live your life.

Other than Al Jazeera I don't watch any main stream tv news from any country. Haven't done so for many years. I wised up to the propaganda, and in any event being lied to constantly didn't improve my disposition. Watching the news just made me angry and I finally woke up and realised that was their intent. It's why they only use bad news and disasters. When asked why they don't ever report "good" news, the usual response is that it doesn't make money, which is a despicable reason for not doing so.

• Confused 2

On 6/24/2024 at 11:38 PM, jas007 said:

As for stupid people ending up in Congress?  Normally, I figure it’s par for the course.   I don’t waste my time worrying about it. But today the nutcases are out of control.  

I certainly agree with that. We only need watch the fiasco in the US presidential race to see it.

Not just there of course. In a few other countries that I'm acquainted with it's the same, IMO.

When I have to think very hard to remember some good politicians and can barely get enough to use one hand to count them on, it's a sad day for western democracy.

IMO politics has become so toxic that only a certain sort of person wants to be a politician, and I won't describe them on here now

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Other than Al Jazeera I don't watch any main stream tv news from any country. Haven't done so for many years. I wised up to the propaganda, and in any event being lied to constantly didn't improve my disposition. Watching the news just made me angry and I finally woke up and realised that was their intent. It's why they only use bad news and disasters. When asked why they don't ever report "good" news, the usual response is that it doesn't make money, which is a despicable reason for not doing so.

All you are doing is admitting that by sticking to one source only you are being manipulated into one view only. In this case Al Jaz funded by Qatar and Hamas connections. Talk about head buried in sand.

• Like 1