Why is Milk So Pricey In Thailand?

On 6/16/2024 at 7:56 AM, BusNo8 said:

Lol. Practically all milk in Thailand derived from powder.

Valid question. Why is powdered milk so expensive.

Meiji is originally a Japanese brand. It's what most restaurants prefer , like Starbucks.  

It's not based on powder.   

Meiji Pasteurized 100% Fresh Cow’s Milk made from 100% fine quality milk to offer you the delicious, rich and creamy taste with rich natural nutrients such as protein, calcium and vitamin B2. 

Guarantee the quality as No.1 selling brand in the pasteurized milk market.

https://www.cpmeiji.com/en/product/view/Meiji-Pasteurized-100-Fresh-Cows-Milk-2l

Edited by balo
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lorry said:

We are being told Thailand has deflation,  prices are supposedly sinking.

There was a period of a few months during the peak COVID disruption that pork and chicken were both high.  I wasn't in Thailand before COVID so I don't know how current prices on those compare to pre-COVID.

3 hours ago, balo said:

Meiji is originally a Japanese brand. It's what most restaurants prefer , like Starbucks.  

It's not based on powder.   

Meiji Pasteurized 100% Fresh Cow’s Milk made from 100% fine quality milk to offer you the delicious, rich and creamy taste with rich natural nutrients such as protein, calcium and vitamin B2. 

Guarantee the quality as No.1 selling brand in the pasteurized milk market.

https://www.cpmeiji.com/en/product/view/Meiji-Pasteurized-100-Fresh-Cows-Milk-2l

You did see that I had written PRACTICALLY ALL correct?

Yes I just wanted to make it clear.  Powdered milk is nowwhere near in taste. 

Edited by balo

On 6/16/2024 at 12:38 PM, BritManToo said:

I've changed to using Dairy Rich milk powder from NZ.

Works out at around 50bht/2ltr and I can't really tell the difference.

Added bonus, I don't have to keep going to the shops for milk.

220bht for 1KG at YoK, I pour 620gm of water in a jug, and make up to 700gm with milk powder.

does it have added fortified vitamins? can you please check the back of the packaging for me

On 6/18/2024 at 6:48 AM, gamb00ler said:

There was a period of a few months during the peak COVID disruption that pork and chicken were both high.  I wasn't in Thailand before COVID so I don't know how current prices on those compare to pre-COVID.

Current Prices ARE a LOT More Expensive.......

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Blueman1 said:

Current Prices ARE a LOT More Expensive.......

I only buy basic ingredients.... pretty much zero processed foods so I have no idea in pricing of those.  The Thai noodles we order every other week did increase from 40฿ to 50฿ from Nov. '20 to this last week.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2024 at 10:34 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

A place near me sometimes has around 40-50 goats, My wife said it was for their milk, and when I saw it for sale in the supermarket I saw the attraction. It was very expensive. What puzzles me is that sometimes the goats are there and sometimes they aren't.

Goats are commonly hired out to clear land. It's a nice little earner and they do a far better job than men with brush cutters.

On 6/16/2024 at 5:08 AM, SteveJames said:

95-105 Baht for 2 Litres of Milk on Grab and in TOPS...  thats around £2.20 ... My mate just showed me £1.49 at Tescos in the UK.  I always noticed Milk was not cheap here, I call it "White Gold" in this house...But Why?   Do Dairy Cows go on Strike here?

How many dairy herds have you seen in Thailand as you travel around?

Google has something to say about it if you look.

On 6/19/2024 at 2:28 AM, balo said:

Yes I just wanted to make it clear.  Powdered milk is nowwhere near in taste. 

Unless one drinks it straight, how would one know? I use it in coffee and tea, but the sweetener makes it unlikely to have an identifiable taste.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Unless one drinks it straight, how would one know? I use it in coffee and tea, but the sweetener makes it unlikely to have an identifiable taste.

I drink 'Dairy Rich' straight and it tastes fine.

Not found any other powdered milk that tastes OK though.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How many dairy herds have you seen in Thailand as you travel around?

Google has something to say about it if you look.

I see dairy cows everywhere I cycle near MaeJo, no big herds though mainly small numbers.

In a morning ride, I must pass around a hundred.

IMG_20240707_085936.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

On 6/16/2024 at 12:56 PM, BusNo8 said:

This is nonsense. The pasteurized milk you buy in Thailand is produced from raw cow's milk. Do you think they would be pasteurizing powdered milk?

You probably haven't tasted powdered milk. It is a completely different taste. You can go on the Meiji website, where they explain how they get their raw milk. I suppose you'll come back here and say they are lying? You need to provide the evidence to back up your wild claims.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, JensenZ said:

You probably haven't tasted powdered milk. It is a completely different taste. You can go on the Meiji website, where they explain how they get their raw milk. I suppose you'll come back here and say they are lying? You need to provide the evidence to back up your wild claims.

I drink Dairy Rich (re-hydrated from powder) milk every day.

Can't tell the difference between it and the various milks (including Meiji) on sale in Thailand.

On 6/16/2024 at 5:04 AM, balo said:

Milk is not a part of the Thai diet. Very few locals drink it. So the production costs are higher in Thailand.  Just appreciate you can actually buy it in the stores.  Back in the 1970's that would have been impossible. 

My favorite is the Meiji brand. 

It's actually passed around all the schools here to the youngsters. Available everywhere as there is a milk industry and dairy cows in Thailand. Not near as much as in western countries of course so the price is higher.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

This is nonsense. The pasteurized milk you buy in Thailand is produced from raw cow's milk. Do you think they would be pasteurizing powdered milk?

You're right of course. On the powdered milk, you can make it as thick as you want, and it tastes better that way. Wondering if anyone has seen it for sale here. I'm not a milk drinker but my daughter is.

On 6/17/2024 at 9:02 PM, Chris Daley said:

Thai people don't know what to do with it.  They can't bake.  They don't know what pastry is.  They don't know what bread is.  Their ice cream is mostly vegetables.  They blend coffee with ice and add condensed milk instead of milk.  They don't know what tea or coffee is.

Therefore it is just seen as a foreign delicacy.

There are bakeries here. Pastry is for sale in all 7-11's. Bread is sold in most stores and shops. Ice Cream here is many varieties, including western brands, made from milk. There are coffee and tea shops all over Thailand. You have to leave your house to see this.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I drink Dairy Rich (re-hydrated from powder) milk every day.

Can't tell the difference between it and the various milks (including Meiji) on sale in Thailand.

I don't know what to say, but I've drunk a lot of powdered milk in the past, and it was distinct in its flavour. I don't mind it, but it was different. Can you please link to where I can buy it, so I can try it? If it tastes as good as the pasteurized whole milk I buy, I might change to it if it's cheaper. I have nothing against powdered milk as it is very convenient. I'm a heavy milk consumer.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

There are bakeries here. Pastry is for sale in all 7-11's. Bread is sold in most stores and shops. Ice Cream here is many varieties, including western brands, made from milk. There are coffee and tea shops all over Thailand. You have to leave your house to see this.

LOL. Yes, you'd have to leave home to see the shelves full of milk, and all sorts of other dairy products in every convenience store and supermarket. Looking at the shelves you couldn't help thinking Thais drink a lot of milk and milk products. Sometimes they are almost sold out.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

It's actually passed around all the schools here to the youngsters. Available everywhere as there is a milk industry and dairy cows in Thailand. Not near as much as in western countries of course so the price is higher.

Having spent 5 years in the Philippines before I arrived here, Thailand was like a milk paradise by comparison. The prices of dairy products there are at least double, and pasteurized fresh milk, is probably 3 or 4 times as much (haven't been there for a while). Most of what is sold is UHT milk.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/16/2024 at 12:56 PM, BusNo8 said:

Really? I didn't know that!

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Available from YoK in ChiangMai, along with many seller on Lazada.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dairy-rich-1-i4211165437-s16584732708.html

PS. I agree with you, this is the only powdered milk I will use.

Thank you! I ordered 1kg - will be interested to taste it. Shipped that works out to 39 baht/L assuming 7L per 1kg powder.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

Thank you! I ordered 1kg - will be interested to taste it. Shipped that works out to 39 baht/L assuming 7L per 1kg powder.

I found the 7l per 1kg a little strong for me.

I've finished up using 620gm of water in a jug and pouring in 70-80gm of milk powder (easy to measure on the kitchen scales).

Stir for 30s, then it's done.

That's just under 9l for 225bht = 25bht/ltr.

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2024 at 10:23 AM, Lorry said:

I don't appreciate it as it is a very conspicuous sign of the westernization of Thai diet (and lifestyle).

The results of which i  saw again at my local BigC yesterday: women who even in America would count as obese. 20 years ago,  I saw that kind of people less than once a month.  Yesterday,  I saw about 20 of them.

that is also due to all the fast food joints here now....in the 70's, there were none at all and most of the Thais were shorter and non-fat...to see a fat Thai then was amazing to say the least!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1