2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

No Bangkok Bank acct beneficiary possible that I'm aware. Opened the acct in 2000. I have a Thai Last Will with a specific inheritor for my Thailand assets, including my bank account.

A Thai will is necessary?

Thai banks are not allowed to list a beneficiary.  I just went through this exercise with 2 new bank accounts, I already have an account at BBL.  A beneficiary can only be designated on insurance policies here in Thailand.

• Agree 2

One thing that I/we have become aware or recently is that your heirs may be asked for the original passport and original bank passbook when the account was opened.  Very important to maintain these where they can be easily found when/if needed.  A friend of mine here died in hospital several months ago.  The weird thing his wife had to provide was the death certificates for her now deceased husbands parents.  This went on for so long she eventually had to make a trip to the USA to get help on this.  Probably close to a year before she was able to get any funds released that were not in her name.  He also had no Thai Will.

23 hours ago, charleskerins said:

so what happens to the money/account if you hit the road permanently?

You can Email BKB and ask them. I can only tell you how Krungsri bank answered my Email question, but I was referring to my Thai wife. From memory this was the answer;

Take the death cert. to your province main Amphur, where it will go to the family court for Probate (that can take up to 3 months) 

Take the Letter of Probate, Deceased's passport, my bank book, to them. and that was it.

No will or lawyers needed, and I think the Family Court charge if any would be minimal.

Hope this helps.

Edited by brianthainess

1 hour ago, dlclark97 said:

One thing that I/we have become aware or recently is that your heirs may be asked for the original passport and original bank passbook when the account was opened.  Very important to maintain these where they can be easily found when/if needed.  A friend of mine here died in hospital several months ago.  The weird thing his wife had to provide was the death certificates for her now deceased husbands parents.  This went on for so long she eventually had to make a trip to the USA to get help on this.  Probably close to a year before she was able to get any funds released that were not in her name.  He also had no Thai Will.

Maybe list /add another person on the bank account to avoid that?

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

You can Email BKB and ask them. I can only tell you how Krungsri bank answered my Email question, but I was referring to my Thai wife. From memory this was the answer;

Take the death cert. to your province main Amphur, where it will go to the family court for Probate (that can take up to 3 months) 

Take the Letter of Probate, Deceased's passport, my bank book, to them. and that was it.

No will or lawyers needed, and I think the Family Court charge if any would be minimal.

Hope this helps.

Thanks   in US you can just add someone to the account  

1 hour ago, charleskerins said:

Thanks   in US you can just add someone to the account  

As I said, my reply was from a Thai bank, and I think I got a similar reply from a UK bank, aka my daughter there produces my death cert.  when I asked my Australian bank all they said was "See a Lawyer" not much help if I'm here, along with my wife, that would be a Nightmare for her, especially as she can't read English or speak it very well, so I'm going to move all my money here, the OZ bank can go Fork itself. 

• Like 1