LGBTQ+ People -- Will Thailand Marriage Equality Change Anything For You?

So, the historic day has arrived!

Thailand now the first nation in Asean to have marriage equality.

This is a big F in deal!

However as this is an expat forum. I am not aware of any news as yet about the immigration law effects if any from this.

Heck I am not even 100 percent sure that foreigners will be included at all.

If you have information about that, please post.

So it's probably premature to ask how LGBTQ+ expats will be impacted by this 

But perhaos you want to react anyway now about personal impact assuming expats will be included and will be included in immigration law.

If not this could be bumped later when we have more information.

Edited by Juana Tenderloin
Language too restrictive. See code of conduct.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Oz82 said:

What I'm curious about is whether having a Thai husband would qualify for a marriage visa. 

I would think the law is about marriage equality. I believe they changed some wording in the existing law, like from "a marriage is between a man and a woman" to "a marriage is between two people" or something like that. It's not a special "gay marriage law", I'd hope. Therefore, yes, it should qualify for a marriage visa, otherwise it would not be about equality. In fact, it would be rather strange.

• Thumbs Up 1

As far as I know, there has been no news about how marriage equality when it becomes law in Thailand will impact immigration law for same sex couples between a Thai and a foreigner.

We can make assumptions about how it will or should be but until we actually know, it's just chatter.

If I'm wrong about this (no news) please do post about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

As far as I know, there has been no news about how marriage equality when it becomes law in Thailand will impact immigration law for same sex couples between a Thai and a foreigner.

We can make assumptions about how it will or should be but until we actually know, it's just chatter.

If I'm wrong about this (no news) please do post about it.

"The Marriage Equality Act makes important amendments to language in Thailand’s Civil and Commercial Code concerning spouses, in particular by changing “men and women” and “husband and wife” to “individuals” and “marriage partners.”"

https://www.hrw.org/news/2024/06/18/victory-same-sex-marriage-thailand#:~:text=Thailand's Senate voted 130-4,to recognize same-sex relationships.

"The bill will change the stated official legal status and marriage composition, from “husband and wife” and “a man and a woman” to “married couple” and “two individuals,” giving LGBTQ+ couples the same rights that heterosexual couples share under the TCCC. It will also allow marriages consisting of same-sex partners from the age of 18 and above and grant them the rights to inheritance, tax allowance, and child adoption."

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-law/thailand-introduces-same-sex-marriage-bill/

As I said, they just changed the wording from "man and woman" to "individuals". I mentioned earlier they changed it to "two people". I haven't read the original text yet, but the meaning is the same. My point is that they did not make a "gay marriage law", they just changed the wording in the existing law as to what a married couple is. There is no difference between a straight and a gay couple anymore. While visas are not mentioned in these articles, one would have to look into the immigration law and I would bet it says "spouse", and not "man" or "woman". 

I hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, onthemoon said:

"The Marriage Equality Act makes important amendments to language in Thailand’s Civil and Commercial Code concerning spouses, in particular by changing “men and women” and “husband and wife” to “individuals” and “marriage partners.”"

https://www.hrw.org/news/2024/06/18/victory-same-sex-marriage-thailand#:~:text=Thailand's Senate voted 130-4,to recognize same-sex relationships.

"The bill will change the stated official legal status and marriage composition, from “husband and wife” and “a man and a woman” to “married couple” and “two individuals,” giving LGBTQ+ couples the same rights that heterosexual couples share under the TCCC. It will also allow marriages consisting of same-sex partners from the age of 18 and above and grant them the rights to inheritance, tax allowance, and child adoption."

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-law/thailand-introduces-same-sex-marriage-bill/

As I said, they just changed the wording from "man and woman" to "individuals". I mentioned earlier they changed it to "two people". I haven't read the original text yet, but the meaning is the same. My point is that they did not make a "gay marriage law", they just changed the wording in the existing law as to what a married couple is. There is no difference between a straight and a gay couple anymore. While visas are not mentioned in these articles, one would have to look into the immigration law and I would bet it says "spouse", and not "man" or "woman". 

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Its my understanding that immigration law treats Thai to foreigner marriages differently whether the foreigner is a man or a woman. If my understanding is correct that would mean immigration would need to change their law to accommodate same sex married couples.

• Thumbs Up 1

To the title .... NO

If present marriage ended for any reason, 'doubt' if I'd ever get married again.

... 'doubt' ... I've learned never to say never :coffee1:

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks.

Its my understanding that immigration law treats Thai to foreigner marriages differently whether the foreigner is a man or a woman. If my understanding is correct that would mean immigration would need to change their law to accommodate same sex married couples.

I was looking for the actual visa regulations but could not find them. If someone could post the relevant text here in Thai, I'll look at the wording.

All I found were some newspaper articles stating that a foreigner married to a Thai person in a same-sex marriage can get a marriage visa under the same conditions an opposite-sex foreigner can. Example: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2813329/senate-passes-same-sex-marriage-law

The wording also just refers to "spouse" in all English-language websites I could find. I could not find any evidence that there is a difference whether the foreigner is a man or a woman in straight couples. As I said, I hope someone can find the actual Thai wording.

• Thanks 1