Specific questions about transfer of motorbike ownership

Hi - so I'm purchasing a motorbike off someone who is leaving the country shortly. It sounds like they have all the requisite documents, however I have a few outstanding questions if someone can help:

- Power of attorney: The seller won't be accompanying me to the DLT and I understand there needs to be a POA. What should we write into the POA? Something like: Granting person X the right to process the sale transfer of this motorbike. (?)

- Green book: I see from threads that the green ownership book needs to be signed by the seller. Where exactly should this signature be? 

Thanks in advance.

The power of attorney has a form, it has exact wording for bike transfer, just need to fill it up with bike and buyer/seller details, can get it from any DLT office or maybe online. 

Someone explained this signing of green book to me in details. In general there is no need for seller to sign it. I did a transfer a month ago and did it without it. 

However, the owner (or future seller) of any vehicle can always sign the green book (or blue for car I guess). This is like a security feature. At the time of any future transfer the signature of seller on all transfer forms will be compared to this signature on green book, if no match then no go.... 

However, people stopped signing because then anyone can see the signature and fake it on forms and sell any (stolen) bike with green book and copy of ID ...!? 🤔 

So answer to your question, no need, don't bother... (my DLT office is Phuket, others could be different... ). 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2024 at 6:20 AM, kiwiaussie said:

- Power of attorney: The seller won't be accompanying me to the DLT and I understand there needs to be a POA. What should we write into the POA? Something like: Granting person X the right to process the sale transfer of this motorbike. (?)

When my girlfriend and I have been using POA, we always use the pre-printed standard Thai-form available from paper stores and like stores. The POA must be in Thai language. The person that gives POA needs to include signed photocopies of ID-cards and house book (or probably other address confirmation) – passport's name page iso ID-card if previous owner is a foreigner – and the form needs to be signed by two witnesses, who also must supply signed photocopies of ID-cards.

When copying a Thai ID-card, you must have both front and back on the same piece of paper in portrait copy; just mentioned, in case you in the Land Transport Office meet someone that insists on it. Normally the photocopy-shop will know how to copy ID-cards.

When we have been transferring motorbike or car to a new owner, it has never been necessary to sign anything in green or blue books; but something might have changed recently.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2024 at 6:20 AM, kiwiaussie said:

- Power of attorney: The seller won't be accompanying me to the DLT...

Here is a scan of the official POA-form – my girlfriend normally keeps one – both the person giving POA and the one that receives it shall sign, plus two witnesses; furthermore, the ID-number of the person giving power is going into the square at lower left...

image.thumb.jpeg.73644eb4de8c04d23a91b36dac49505b.jpeg

• Like 1

Many years ago, when I bought a 2nd hand bike, I received a bunch of papers from the seller (a small bike shop).

I never registered it in my name.

A couple of years later, I sold the bike to a guy who worked in a bike shop. I showed him the bunch of papers which I received, all fine, done.

It's not really difficult.

On 6/20/2024 at 1:47 PM, Agusts said:

The power of attorney has a form, it has exact wording for bike transfer, just need to fill it up with bike and buyer/seller details, can get it from any DLT office or maybe online.

Power_of_Attorney_TH.pdf

the person selling only really needs to sign the appointers signature  everything else should be able to be gleaned from the other documents and could be filled in by anyone.

powerofattorney.thumb.png.dfd91d99affbe4de99272fcb9506ba26.png

On 6/20/2024 at 11:20 AM, kiwiaussie said:

- Green book: I see from threads that the green ownership book needs to be signed by the seller. Where exactly should this signature be? 

Owner of vehicle in green/blue book signature not always needed depending on the phase of the moon etc

look for the page  like this

bluebook.thumb.jpg.f7ecb51f656182300cd9c94447b1beb7.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, yes, I remember, when I was at DLT they said I'm missing one witness signature on POA form, I walked out and ask the first guy, Thai, if he could sign, pointing to the place, he happily signed it with a smile... 

I was grateful and said do you want me to sign anything for you, well, with body language, he laughed and said no need ... , that's as far as witness signature goes...! (will do it myself next time, I'm good at scribbling... 😜). 

if the seller is a foreigner you need him/her to go with you to the DLT or get an resident certificate from them or other proof of his adress like yellow book or workpermit with adress on it.

Copy idd card or passport from both parties.

For you the same if you not Thai ;  resident certificate or yellow book or workpermit old style with adress on it.

Good luck

Thanks all. Transfer went well this morning. Main hitch was original owner's passport details didn't match with the one translated in the residency certificate they got via the embassy and immigration. DLT asked for it, I rang the old owner who said that passport had been 'lost'. DLT said fine and just put a notation on one of the forms saying that old passport no longer available and I was done.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1