Classrooms in Louisiana Must All Display Ten Commandments

Social Media

25 minutes ago, placeholder said:

This was during the Cold War era when people were looking for reds under the beds. In fact,  In God We Trust was first adopted as some kind of motto by Union troops during the Civil War when both sides were claiming that God was on their side. (Actually, the South may have had a better point, since not only did the Bible not condemn slavery, but St. Paul of the New Testament actually said "Slave obey your masters.") There was a movement after the Civil War to put a preamble in the Constitution proclaiming the God was the source of all governmental authority. Fortunately, it failed. And as rationality returned, the motto was removed from American coinage. Anyway, during wars, whether hot or cold, when emotionalism runs hot, are generally favorable for the erosion of civil liberties.

Regardless of any historical superficial need, it was then deemed for the incorporation as a backing into the subscription of the US$  determined as the traded world currency. Ooops, we no have BRICS.

22 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Regardless of any historical superficial need, it was then deemed for the incorporation as a backing into the subscription of the US$  determined as the traded world currency. Ooops, we no have BRICS.

"it was then deemed for the incorporation as a backing into the subscription of the US$"

What does this bizarre concatenation of words mean? 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, JCauto said:

Okay, let's start with Mark Twain, whom you will of course know was actually Samuel Clemens. I was fortunate to be given a set of his entire writings when I was small, soon he became my touchstone for humor. Another whom I was gifted a complete set of works was Alexander Solzhenitsyn. If I were to single out one of his books, it would probably be a toss-up between The Gulag Archipelago and Cancer Ward. I was a big fan of 20th Century American fiction, probably my favourite writer from that period would have been John Dos Passos and his trilogies. Also really liked Langston Hughes, Joseph Conrad and John Steinbeck. But of course, I'm a Leftie, so you probably didn't like most of those. Others I'd mention include Philip Roth, Toni Morrison, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, John Irving. A Confederacy of Dunces was a brilliant book, such a pity the author killed himself after having it rejected initially, he could have been incredible (John Kennedy Toole). Anthony Burgess, Dom DeLillo and Umberto Eco are others I liked, along with Joan Didion. My pick for "Just For Fun" reading would be George Macdonald Fraser's Flashman series, I've loved every single one of those and he remains an inspiration to this day. Also liked his other books. That's one that you probably would have in common and enjoyed, if not you should get yourself to a bookstore and start.

How's that for Bible Alternatives? Every one of them is much better written and far far far more entertaining and enlightening that that book of <deleted>.

Thanks for the list... surprised me that I recognized and have read most of what you put forth... why some of them have been banned by "educators" is beyond belief... perhaps because of their closed minded attitudes... however these works that you list still fall a distant second in sales and popularity to your hated bible... the problem becomes noted when one literally follows the words of any manuscript rather than letting the overall context be set forth.

Perhaps I will pick up a couple of your recommendations and read again... maybe you could read the bible with an open mind and don't take it so literally... it's a historical accounting written by men not god.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Thanks for the list... surprised me that I recognized and have read most of what you put forth... why some of them have been banned by "educators" is beyond belief... perhaps because of their closed minded attitudes... however these works that you list still fall a distant second in sales and popularity to your hated bible... the problem becomes noted when one literally follows the words of any manuscript rather than letting the overall context be set forth.

Perhaps I will pick up a couple of your recommendations and read again... maybe you could read the bible with an open mind and don't take it so literally... it's a historical accounting written by men not god.

Sales and popularity would mean that the esteemed works of JK Rowling are far better written than those of Tolstoy. Meaningless. And it's not the Bible that's popular, it's quite clear that many of those who call themselves "Christian" haven't bothered to read it.

I just find the Bible poorly written and the various stories and allegories not that interesting or enlightening. Perhaps they appealed to the people who lived back then. I don't think the works of the Greeks are particularly interesting either, nor those of the Roman authors. There's some validity to their ethics, morals and principles, but I can get those far more easily and in a more relatable way with authors from the last two hundred years who use nuance and detail to build characters and illustrate these issues rather than olde texte with sledgehammer-subtle allegories that are often ridiculous. 

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your reading. Have you read Dos Passos before? He's not that well known but I really loved his style.

20 hours ago, JCauto said:

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your reading. Have you read Dos Passos before? He's not that well known but I really loved his style.

Yes... it is a shame that when he wised up and shifted his political point of view from radical left to a more conservative approach his legacy dried up... He made the move from a young rebel to a mature man and failed his contemporaries... imagine that. 

Actually it's very important for kjds to have the 10 commandments posted in classrooms. The prohibition against worshipping graven images should help keep them from turning into Hindus or Buddhists.

Oddly enough, while a commandment prohibits coveting the wives of neighbors, it says nothing about husbands. So I guess that gives permission to little girls to covet their neighbors' husbands. Let the coveting begin!