Phuket retirement extension minor changes from last year

Guess a lot of us should be thankful we can get a retirement extension decision on the day.

It's a 240 km round trip for the boonie ones.......such as myself.   

Repub of south Phetch.....

6 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

Yesterday I completed my retirement visa extension process in Phuket. Here’s a summary of my experience. The process now takes place in a new air-conditioned room located on the opposite side of the driveway from the previous location. No more sitting outside while your documents are reviewed.

Procedure

1. Queue Number

• Pick up a laminated queue number from the table at the entrance.
    • I visited at 11 AM on a rainy Thursday (rain apparently reduces the crowd) and was immediately served by a helpful young officer who spoke flawless English.
  2. Documentation Required

• TM7 Form: Completed and with a recent photo attached, and the 1,900 fee. 
    • Passport Copies: This year, they required copies of the passport data page and ALL used passport pages. In the past, only the current and past extension pages and the most recent entry stamp were needed. Ensure all copies are vertically copied (that was a new requirement) and signed.
    • STM2 Form: Signed Acknowledgement of Terms and Conditions for the permit of temporary stay. Note: The form I downloaded from the website was outdated, but they provided an updated one to sign.
    • Overstay Acknowledgement: Signed Acknowledgement of Penalties for a Visa Overstay.
    • Photo: A photo in front of my home with the house number clearly visible. I've used the same one for the past 4 years. 
    • Map: A map showing residence location. My Google map was accepted. Last year they gave the map back to me and said it wasn't needed. This year it was. 
    • Financial Proof: I used the 800,000 Baht method.
      • Bank Letter: Signed and stamped bank letter. I have an SCB Fixed Deposit account and obtained the documents that morning.
      • Bank Statement: Signed and stamped bank statement showing the required funds for 12 months.
      • Thai Bank Book: Copy of the updated Thai bank book name page and the last 12 months’ transactions. I copied all pages (only 4 pages have data) of the bank book and all of these page copes were taken. I have a Fixed Deposit, so my last transaction was in April when the deposit matured and was rolled over. There were no issues about an update that day since the book amount matched the bank statements.
  3. Process

• The entire process took about 15 minutes. The initial document check was done by a kind and friendly young officer.
    • After the initial check, I was directed inside the room (1 meter away) where the documents were verified again. The room is many times the size of the old location. 
    • I was asked if I needed a re-entry permit. For a 400 baht convenience fee (in addition to the re-entry fee), they would process it simultaneously and it would be in my passport when I picked it up the next day. I declined this offer.
    • I was given a slip of paper with a number and asked to hold it up while they took a picture of me with an iPad.
    • I was instructed to return at 2 PM the next day with the slip.
  4. Collection

• The next day (a rainy Friday), I returned at 2:30 PM, handed over the slip, and was given my passport in about 90 seconds.
    • I went to get a copy of the new extension, last entry and data page, went into Room 101 and walked out with a new re-entry permit in about 15 minutes. 

I am surprised that you were able to present a fixed deposit as evidence. I was always under the impression that funds had to be in a normal account. 

2 minutes ago, kaufmanski said:

I am surprised that you were able to present a fixed deposit as evidence. I was always under the impression that funds had to be in a normal account. 

You can withdraw money from a fixed deposit account at any time, but you will forfeit the accrued interest. Since the funds are immediately accessible, a fixed deposit account is not an issue for the 800,000 baht requirement.

• Agree 2

Here's another big Thank You for reporting your procedure.  I'm new to the retirement Extensions.  I hired an agent to manage it this year.  I'll probably use that agent again next year, but hope I can manage it myself by 2026. 😆🤣(Who knows what the future holds. Maybe the wife slits my throat by then...)

Thanks for letting us know! Last year, as was the case in the previous years, I would receive an "Under Consideration" stamp and a date when I can pick-up my PP after about 4-6 weeks after applying...In November this year I will see if CR immigration adopted their rules when it is my turn to apply for an extension. P.S.: I am married with my Thai wife for 7 years now and live in TH for 8.

10 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

Thanks for letting us know! Last year, as was the case in the previous years, I would receive an "Under Consideration" stamp and a date when I can pick-up my PP after about 4-6 weeks after applying...In November this year I will see if CR immigration adopted their rules when it is my turn to apply for an extension. P.S.: I am married with my Thai wife for 7 years now and live in TH for 8.

The "Under Consideration" stamp is a normal procedure for a marriage extension but unusual in the case of a retirement extension.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

Yesterday I completed my retirement visa extension process in Phuket. Here’s a summary of my experience. The process now takes place in a new air-conditioned room located on the opposite side of the driveway from the previous location. No more sitting outside while your documents are reviewed.

Procedure

1. Queue Number

• Pick up a laminated queue number from the table at the entrance.
    • I visited at 11 AM on a rainy Thursday (rain apparently reduces the crowd) and was immediately served by a helpful young officer who spoke flawless English.
  2. Documentation Required

• TM7 Form: Completed and with a recent photo attached, and the 1,900 fee. 
    • Passport Copies: This year, they required copies of the passport data page and ALL used passport pages. In the past, only the current and past extension pages and the most recent entry stamp were needed. Ensure all copies are vertically copied (that was a new requirement) and signed.
    • STM2 Form: Signed Acknowledgement of Terms and Conditions for the permit of temporary stay. Note: The form I downloaded from the website was outdated, but they provided an updated one to sign.
    • Overstay Acknowledgement: Signed Acknowledgement of Penalties for a Visa Overstay.
    • Photo: A photo in front of my home with the house number clearly visible. I've used the same one for the past 4 years. 
    • Map: A map showing residence location. My Google map was accepted. Last year they gave the map back to me and said it wasn't needed. This year it was. 
    • Financial Proof: I used the 800,000 Baht method.
      • Bank Letter: Signed and stamped bank letter. I have an SCB Fixed Deposit account and obtained the documents that morning.
      • Bank Statement: Signed and stamped bank statement showing the required funds for 12 months.
      • Thai Bank Book: Copy of the updated Thai bank book name page and the last 12 months’ transactions. I copied all pages (only 4 pages have data) of the bank book and all of these page copes were taken. I have a Fixed Deposit, so my last transaction was in April when the deposit matured and was rolled over. There were no issues about an update that day since the book amount matched the bank statements.
  3. Process

• The entire process took about 15 minutes. The initial document check was done by a kind and friendly young officer.
    • After the initial check, I was directed inside the room (1 meter away) where the documents were verified again. The room is many times the size of the old location. 
    • I was asked if I needed a re-entry permit. For a 400 baht convenience fee (in addition to the re-entry fee), they would process it simultaneously and it would be in my passport when I picked it up the next day. I declined this offer.
    • I was given a slip of paper with a number and asked to hold it up while they took a picture of me with an iPad.
    • I was instructed to return at 2 PM the next day with the slip.
  4. Collection

• The next day (a rainy Friday), I returned at 2:30 PM, handed over the slip, and was given my passport in about 90 seconds.
    • I went to get a copy of the new extension, last entry and data page, went into Room 101 and walked out with a new re-entry permit in about 15 minutes. 

Nice report...I take it you also had to provide a copy of your housebook or the owner's housebook/ID card if renting?

Edited by yabbra

3 hours ago, yabbra said:

I take it you also had to provide a copy of your housebook or the owner's housebook/ID card if renting?

I did not. I own my condo and travel in and out of Thailand often. On my most recent arrival (5 days ago) I completed the online TM30. I have no idea if it's required, but since I have it setup and it only takes a couple of minutes for me to do it online, I submitted a new one (I had a screen shot/hard copy with me but wasn't asked about it). 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, DFPhuket said:
  1. Process

Wow !  only 15 minutes.  EXCELLENT.

While I was on a Type-OA visa (and then later a Type-O visa), it would typically take me a few hours minimum at Phuket immigration (and I had all the paperwork every time but once - but I note most of the time was spent waiting), albeit I concede I never went there on a rainy day  (my timing always had me going for an extension during the dry season - no rainy days). 

I have a different Visa now so I don't have to do this annual extension of the permission to stay, but its GREAT to read this went so well in Phuket.  Thanks for posting.

Edited by oldcpu

Thanks for this update at Phuket Im there next week for exact same - also will be using fixed deposit a/c at Kasikorn (only thing has been irking me is Kasikorn tell me, on fxd deposit a/c it takes 24 hrs to show new balance update on system, so I was goin to deposit 1k baht day before & hope is ok for IO. Bank tell me is no problem many customer have no problem with IO using this account) 800k been sat in there just for Visa, no transactions. Can anyone give advise on this?

I would like to kindly thank you so much for your kind response sharing your visa experience.

You needed a whole hagiographies documents.Do they need also and your birth ......certificate to prove that you was born?

Your country΄s Ambassador or Consultant what is their assignment and duties? Massage and play games in tablets or watching soccer games?

You probably come from U.S -European States and not from third world countries and all of these hagiographies for visa documents are your home country΄s asssignment Ambassador or Consultant Authorities.

I wonder what is their assignment in Thailand region?

One more time I would like to thank you for your kind response and sharing information.

Edited by Paris333

6 hours ago, Lokie said:

Thanks for this update at Phuket Im there next week for exact same - also will be using fixed deposit a/c at Kasikorn (only thing has been irking me is Kasikorn tell me, on fxd deposit a/c it takes 24 hrs to show new balance update on system, so I was goin to deposit 1k baht day before & hope is ok for IO. Bank tell me is no problem many customer have no problem with IO using this account) 800k been sat in there just for Visa, no transactions. Can anyone give advise on this?

I did not make a small deposit to my Fixed Deposit account on the day of application. My most recent bank book entry was in April, when it matured and interest was deposited.

The signed/stamped bank letter and the signed/stamped bank statement, which showed the required funds for 12 months, along with my bank book copies, all showed the exact same 801,000+ baht balance. The officer checked the bank letter carefully, checking that the balances were in synch on all three documents and funds didn't drop below 800,000. My sense was that she was used to seeing a fixed deposit account, which is only updated once a year at maturity. 

Perhaps a regular savings book would need to be updated with a small transaction that day, but it wasn't required of my fixed deposit account. The Phuket Immigration Volunteers website suggests bank documents could be generated up to 7 days in advance, but I've found some of that information to be outdated or incorrect (e.g., all passport pages need to be copied). 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

I did not make a small deposit to my Fixed Deposit account on the day of application. My most recent bank book entry was in April, when it matured and interest was deposited.

The signed/stamped bank letter and the signed/stamped bank statement, which showed the required funds for 12 months, along with my bank book copies, all showed the exact same 801,000+ baht balance. The officer checked the bank letter carefully, checking that the balances were in synch on all three documents and funds didn't drop below 800,000. My sense was that she was used to seeing a fixed deposit account, which is only updated once a year at maturity. 

Perhaps a regular savings book would need to be updated with a small transaction that day, but it wasn't required of my fixed deposit account. The Phuket Immigration Volunteers website suggests bank documents could be generated up to 7 days in advance, but I've found some of that information to be outdated or incorrect (e.g., all passport pages need to be copied). 

That makes sense, my bank assured me that customers do not have problem using the fxd deposit account for Immigration 800k.

Again thanks for up to date info

16 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

The Phuket Immigration Volunteers website suggests bank documents could be generated up to 7 days in advance, but I've found some of that information to be outdated or incorrect (e.g., all passport pages need to be copied). 

That is my understanding.

When I had my type-O/OA visa, Phuket immigration required such on the same day.  Hence when I had a Bangkok Bank account, I had to order the bank info a week advance (as they get this from Bangkok) and when they called stating such would be ready, I had to immediately go to the bank early the next morning, get the letter (dated that very same day), then rush to Phuket immigration.  The fact that I had to wait for the information from Bangkok meant I never knew to the day prior, as to when I could go to immigration for the extension.

I have friends who have have been rejected by Phuket immigration because their bank information was a couple of days old. They were annoyed given the information on the Phuket volunteers page.  Given one of them was 89-year old at the time, having to do an extra trip to the bank and back to immigration, in a rush on the same day, was not so pleasant.  If it were me, I would have considered an agent in such a case (ie if I am so lucky to reach age 89).

The slowness in Bangkok Bank, lead me (while I had the Type-OA visa) to switch to using Krungsri Bank, for the proof of 800K THB in the bank. Krungsri Bank in Phuket will (and did for me) issue such same day , and not have to obtain the documents from Bangkok.

On 6/23/2024 at 1:53 AM, DFPhuket said:

Ok, so yesterday I went Phuket Old Town to big Kasikorn Bank (this branch opens 08.30) My 800k baht is in a 12 mth Fixed deposit account, I dropped 2K in Monday (knowing it takes 24hrs to update on the system for deposit at kasikorn) I also dropped 2k in yesterday - (I wanted to see what it would show when they generated the statement) I then went to the other desk to get my Letter & statement & copies of Account book info page & statement page. Went over to Immigration and as OP room 103 had papers checked, waited about 10mins, called to IO, she went through my application, asked is this deposit account? I said yes... she ticked off a few things, asked would I like to have re-entry permit processed at same time by them (Single for 1500B) I said no thank you, then gave me a card said come pick up tomorrow at 2pm.

I was way-laid so attended Immigration at 14.00hrs was not many in room 103 and was a nice sunny day.  I shall take OPs advise collect shortly & do my own re-entry permit today. Thanks again OP for making my first extension easy.  

Edited by Lokie