Learning a new language Pareto

georgegeorgia

Last night I went to a group learning class in my area on the Tagalog class ( Filipino)

There was only a handful of us and the teacher spoke about the "psychology" of learning a new language 

I was fascinated by when he said we should use the "Pareto principle " in learning this new language 

I was too fascinated in googling this Mr Pareto during the class that I didn't listen to the class 

But what a fascination the Pareto principle is 

But back to language learning, has anyone tried later in their life yo learn a new language 

Thai language is easy compared to Tagalog 

There is about 5 words to ask what are you doing compared to the one word for Thai language 

But I spent the whole class googlinh the Pareto principle and didn't learn anything 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Last night I went to a group learning class in my area on the Tagalog class ( Filipino)

There was only a handful of us and the teacher spoke about the "psychology" of learning a new language 

I was fascinated by when he said we should use the "Pareto principle " in learning this new language 

I was too fascinated in googling this Mr Pareto during the class that I didn't listen to the class 

But back to language learning, has anyone tried later in their life yo learn a new language 

There is about 5 words to ask what are you doing compared to the one word for Thai language 

But I spent the whole class googlinh the Pareto principle and didn't learn anything 

Philipines sounds crap to me but never been there.

• Haha 1

I learnt French from 5 years old.

In later life I learnt to speak/read/write Thai, Lao and Burmese (in order of proficiency).  Don't know about the Pareto principle, I just approached these new languages with an open mind.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

There are about 27 languages in use in Philippines. People from adjacent islands often can't understand each other unless they use Tagalog which is a kind of pan Philippines dialect, standard like central Thai. I might try a course as I'll probably bevherexaxwhile. I find listening to Filipinas fast talking hilarious. And boy, can they can talk fast. But their reputation for being the nightingales of SE Asia I'm afraid really doesn't cut any ice with me anymore. So many duff karaoke singers! Almost as bad as Thailand.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

I went to a class again last night, 

Blue is Asul 

I couldn't pronounce it right

Load na dito - phone top up here.

Unli - unlimited as in unlimited rice, sugary drink

Guapa, guapo - beautiful, m/F

Bola Bola - crazy

Oh oh or just oh - yes

That's it.

• Haha 1

I'm doing a one year Thai Course at Chiang Mai Uni, starting in late September. 52K, every 3rd month off.

That means I'll be stuck here for one of the bad smoke season months. But I am committed to learning conversational Thai, so I'll just live like a shut-in and take a lot of cabs.

I'm also taking private lessons twice a week before to make sure I don't flunk out of it.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

I'm doing a one year Thai Course at Chiang Mai Uni, starting in late September. 52K, every 3rd month off.

That means I'll be stuck here for one of the bad smoke season months. But I am committed to learning conversational Thai, so I'll just live like a shut-in and take a lot of cabs.

I'm also taking private lessons twice a week before to make sure I don't flunk out of it.

How many times a week is that ?

Thai seems much easier than tagalog, 

What are you doing is I believe one word  "tammarai? In Thai 

Whilst "what are you doing? in tagalog is about 5 words !

Edited by georgegeorgia

27 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

How many times a week is that ?

Thai seems much easier than tagalog, 

What are you doing is I believe one word  "tammarai? In Thai 

Whilst "what are you doing? in tagalog is about 5 words !

It's 2 words in Thai, Tam (do) aray (what).

In Tagalog, 3 Anong ginagawa mo

In English, 4.

Edited by bradiston
  • Love It 1