Is it safe to take a taxi alone in Bangkok?

Rachel2023

Be on the phone with a friend when you are picked up, and take pictures of the license plate and drivers picture inside the cab, sending those pictures to the friend, letting the driver see this. Try to keep talking to a friend, taking pics along the way, and sending them along, letting the driver see this. During the trip, ask them to call you back periodically, letting them know where you are at the moment, until you reach your destination safely. Don't trust anyone here, although most taxi drivers are probably okay.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

I'd say Thailand taxis and ride hailing is not as risky as Mexico or India but not as safe as Singapore  .....  so probably similar to your home country.

Our 'work night out routine' is to either travel in pairs, or for someone to walk with any solo females to the car, and that person photographs the car and plate as she takes the ride.  

Grab is preferable to Bolt.  There's also the newer taxis with (allegedly) CCTV and the panic alarm button (over the left rear door).  They have a green rather than the usual red light in the windscreen.

1 hour ago, Rachel2023 said:

I am planning to use Bolt when travelling to Chiang Mai. As a solo female traveller, is it safe to take a taxi alone? Any tips on how you take precautions.

Generally, Thailand is very safe for a female traveller - but there have been issues that have reached the news in the past. 

As a female traveler it would be advised to take the same common sense precautions you would take elsewhere when when not having a complete 'feel' for the place.

My Wife (Thai) used to drive & drink when we she went out (before we were married & still living with her parents) to avoid having to take a taxi - neither she or her friends would take taxi's at night.

I think this is the 'litmus test'  - what do the local females do. 

Some will take a taxi alone. But many will not, especially if they have alternative means. 

Get a Local SIM (with Phone and Data) which is every inexpensive (True / AIS / DTAC ) are all decent and you won't pay much at all for a lot of Data and minutes - Download GRAB App and BOLT as soon as you can and register with your a number.

Precautions to take are: 

1) Ride Hailing Apps - both BOLT and GRAB are the main ones and work well. 

2) Taking a flag fall taxi - fine in the day time when travelling within busy areas

3) Flag fall taxi - at night presents an element of risk for a lone female.

The risks for a lone female obviously become elevated when travelling at night, especially if inebriated and traveling through or to non-built up area's.

In such cases, ensure you can always travel with a trusted friend (which may be difficult considering you are travelling alone) and definitely rely on an App service (BOLT / Grab) whenever possible.

Also note: Different cities and area's have different transport options: 

Bangkok has Taxi's (GRAB & BOLT) - other area's you are relying on Song Thaews (pickups with bench seats in the back) or TukTuks - they'll be running on a regular circulate, or you'll need to negotiate your fair and destination etc.

As far as the Apps themselves Go (particularly in Bangkok... 

GRAB :

- JustGrab: - Anything will arrive (from the below options)

- GrabTaxi: - Which is just regular taxi's (but the ride is at least registered)

- GrabCar: - Which theoretically is a regular car and driver (not a taxi - but thats a little hit and miss)

- GrabCar for Females:  - though that will reduce the time it takes to get a taxi. 

- GrabPremium: - More expensive, but operates at a higher service (better cars & drivers)

BOLT: 

- Taxi: regular Taxi;s

- Economy: Smaller Car

- Ladies: Lady Driver

- Bolt: Regular car and driver (not a taxi)

- Comfort: Premium version 

Both BOLT and GRAB have similar services - there's not really much to tell them apart except that Bolt is often a little cheaper - depending on the time of day etc both will be anything from 1.5x to 3x the cost for a regular flag fall taxi ride.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

Do not take Bolt.

Pay a bit more for Grab or simply take the train.

Any reason not to take BOLT ??  I find both BOLT and GRAB similar in standards of service (within Bangkok). 

So I'm curious why you offer this advice, info would be useful, not just for the Op, but for others. 

When in Bangkok - taking the SkyTrain (within hours) if travelling from and to routes on that Sky Train is a good call.

I think the greatest risk for a lone female would be travelling back from somewhere such as Khao Sarn Road to elsewhere in the City after midnight.

But that advice is only covering Bangkok...   There is also Samui / Phuket / Chiang Mai etc to consider (depending on where the Op is travelling to etc).

I can't say re Bolt  but as a woman usually travelling alone, I have not had any problems using Grab.

Definitely do not use flag taxis.

And always sit in the back, do not take the seat next to the driver, this can be misunderstood.