Thai Style House

joeuk1

Does anyone have any contacts that sell legal teak wood in Buriram to build a Thai style house ? Does anyone have any photos of Teak - wood Thai style houses and know of any good buliders or companys that build these houses ?

Thankyou

JB

Does anyone have any contacts that sell legal teak wood in Buriram to build a Thai style house ? Does anyone have any photos of Teak - wood Thai style houses and know of any good buliders or companys that build these houses ?

Thankyou

JB

Is this the style your looking for?

post-48082-1185746215_thumb.jpg

I have a guy thats drawing plans up for what i would like to build , yes it wood house no concrete .

JB

JB you might be hard pressed to find that amount of good quality teak timber around Buri Ram. It is not grown commercially in our area. The place for teak is in the mid north around the city of Phrae where there are huge forests of teak and merchants have a license to log and mill.

There are many people there who will build your house in prefabricated form, truck it over and erect on your building site.

Incidentally they will also design for you.

It's well worth a drive up there if you can.

There is also heaps of furniture and artifacts in that town at a fraction of Chatuchak prices. All the Bangkok retailers buy there.

I have a guy thats drawing plans up for what i would like to build , yes it wood house no concrete .

JB

JB you might be hard pressed to find that amount of good quality teak timber around Buri Ram. It is not grown commercially in our area. The place for teak is in the mid north around the city of Phrae where there are huge forests of teak and merchants have a license to log and mill.

There are many people there who will build your house in prefabricated form, truck it over and erect on your building site.

There is also heaps of furniture and artifacts in that town at a fraction of Chatuchak prices. All the Bangkok retailers buy there.

Thats great looks like a trip to Phrae is in order .

Thankyou

JB

"The Thai House---History and Evolution" (ISBN 974 8225 05 4) is well written and has hundreds of excellent colour photos.

Danny Speight at DCO Thai sent me my copy by mail, at considerably less price than Asia Books wanted from me at the Airport. He didn't stock it, but got it in within a few days.

JB you might be hard pressed to find that amount of good quality teak timber around Buri Ram. It is not grown commercially in our area.

use the teak from some old houses - not all wood will be good but still will be cheaper than bringing it from far away.

Here's a picture (the back of the house) of my all teak, including 24 posts ( aprox 11000sq ft ) home.

I didn’t built it Thai style but it's in Buriram and it can be done !!

Good luck !

PS, the cheapest way to acquire the wood;

In the north you can pick & buy the logged trees from the government. Than you mill them yourself according to need “Thai Style” method , not architecture.

I've been to Phrae several times and I agree that is the center for teak wood bungalows. I've priced the actual wood for various designs they sell there and I find that the prices are about 6x cost of materials. I have a very good builder I like here in Chiang Mai and can source new and used wood fairly easily. Does anyone know where I can lay my hands on a book or website which shows plans for various wooden houses, perhaps with material lists? TIA

Edited by lannarebirth

Here's a picture (the back of the house) of my all teak, including 24 posts ( aprox 11000sq ft ) home.

That looks lovely soidog. What is in the Terret type thing?

I agree- nice looking house!

I'll bet the turret is a water tower... can see a ladder going up the side.

That looks lovely soidog. What is in the Terret type thing?

I agree- nice looking house!

I'll bet the turret is a water tower... can see a ladder going up the side.

Water tower indeed, excellent pressure when the electric is off. Since you liked it, here's side shot as well.

More teak can be seen !

you don't have to treat teak wood - that's why it's so expensive.

still - worth to treat it, so the termites won't crawl over it to reach the other, softer woods or anything to be eaten on their way

you don't have to treat teak wood - that's why it's so expensive.

still - worth to treat it, so the termites won't crawl over it to reach the other, softer woods or anything to be eaten on their way

Termites will eat anything soft including drywall ( sheet rock )

In the sun, teak will bleach very fast to an ugly grey color.

For a good looking house you need an excellent stain with UV protection.

I do my house every three four years without any noticeable discoloration

i was also hoping to get this house built of teak, pic attached,

but also living in phuket in golden something in kathu on the way to phuket city there are two houses that i have seen that look like teack now i did not go inisde but the fence that did look liek teak was actually plastic.

so i guess some ones does manufacture a teak substitute.

check out vanachai group as well for falangs in falang land great opertunity to make profit

post-46487-1186464547_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

JB

Thats great looks like a trip to Phrae is in order .

Thankyou

JB

There's a factory in Phrae with office in Chiang Mai, just visit www.thailannahome.com with a lot of informaion.

i was also hoping to get this house built of teak, pic attached,

but also living in phuket in golden something in kathu on the way to phuket city there are two houses that i have seen that look like teack now i did not go inisde but the fence that did look liek teak was actually plastic.

so i guess some ones does manufacture a teak substitute.

check out vanachai group as well for falangs in falang land great opertunity to make profit

Just try www.thailannahome.com they produce any style wooden Thai-style houses in Northern Thailand.

• 3 weeks later...

Thankyou

JB

One of the best ways to get the wood is to buy an abandoned home for the wood.It is normal practice to do this in Issan.That is what we have done twice and it has worked out great.To build with wood will cost you the same and more then to use block.When you buy the old home for wood the price you agree on should inclued the take down and the delivery of same.

Here are a few photos...........As you can see in the floor there are old holes from the old nails.Not a big problem for me as it was not finished in this photo.

post-14263-1190492525_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1190492536_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1190492547_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1190492556_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1190492619_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1190492653_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1190492662_thumb.jpg

Thankyou

JB

One of the best ways to get the wood is to buy an abandoned home for the wood.It is normal practice to do this in Issan.That is what we have done twice and it has worked out great.To build with wood will cost you the same and more then to use block.When you buy the old home for wood the price you agree on should inclued the take down and the delivery of same.

Here are a few photos...........As you can see in the floor there are old holes from the old nails.Not a big problem for me as it was not finished in this photo.

Nice job Blue eyes. There is no doubt that Thai tradesmen are very good at working with timber. Congratulations. Are you in or near Buri Ram

Nice job Blue eyes. There is no doubt that Thai tradesmen are very good at working with timber. Congratulations. Are you in or near Buri Ram

Not in Buri Ram, just north of Phi Mai.Here are a few photos of one of my brother-in-laws home.Just finished this summer.It is north of Roeit.Almost all of the wood is new.

post-14263-1190637832_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1190637842_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1190637859_thumb.jpg

Thankyou

JB

Traditional Thai style teak house in Surin City. Cost 6 mllion Baht to build 4 years ago.

Incubus

post-29214-1190706970_thumb.jpg

For what it is worth, here is a link to the wood bungalow (one bed), I am having built In Ubon.

The rough size is a 8m x 8m sqaure overall floor plan with a 3 x 2.5 metre bathroom attached leading off the bedroom (see attached sketch).

The size of ther rooms are: 4m x 5m Bedroom, 3m x 2.5m Bathroom, 4m x 3m TV room (living room), 4m x 8m upper deck.

Below at ground level we intend to concrete and tile an entertaining / eating area.

Under the bathroom I was thinking of putting a small (3x2.5) kitchen opening onto the lower eating / entertaining area deck. Though I am not sure how that will work yet, as I want to route all the plumbing for the bathroom down inside so here are no ugly blue pipes hanging off the side of the building. This may end up as a utility shed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrislani/

I am back out there at the end of October and will post more up-to-date and better quality pictures then.

The plot is 72m x 22m x 50m x 11m x 22m x 11 in a 'P' shape, if that makes sense.

To-date it has cost £7k (inc: land, Boundary walls, land drainage, the front access and the projected labour for the house) could not remodel a kitchen in the UK for that kind of dosh.

To build the Bungalow my builder quoted a fixed price for labour at 70,000 Bht, (a tad over £1k) we buy all the materials.

I will do the internal wiring & lighting design, so I get what I want and let a Thai spark check it and finish it off.

I'll need a plumber then once it has been first fixed we intend to use finish the inside with 'Pradu' wood (I think its a kind of rose wood, I'll know more when i visit the factory next month).

We have been building through the rainy season so progress has been a bit slower than it would normally take and my better half has made a few changes. I think we are getting a bit of a cut rate by doing it this way, as the construction period, I'm told does not start until around October (in the dry season )

[As a construction manager for a major construction company here in the UK I can spot a few things wrong, but nothing worth making an issue over, especially as the overall finish is of good quality. Though they need full time supervision to maintain the standards because they soon default to the Thai (easy) way.]

Hope some of you find this interesting

C