Why is North Thai Pho so much worse than Pho from the South

Yamu

31 minutes ago, Yamu said:

I know everything about Pho, the recipes, the textures, the origins. It comes as no surprise that the elite southern restaurants do a far better job of dishing up this delicious dish than the mouldy river water that the north trys to pass as this delicacy. It tastes like it is squeezed freshly from @Mekong2Mamtin armpits after the obese monger has walked to the corner store and back in 45 degree heat and 99% humidity.

Another fine example of someone who thinks they know it all only to discover in disappointment that they don’t. Food preparation is as diverse as cultural differences.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, novacova said:

Another fine example of someone who thinks they know it all only to discover in disappointment that they don’t. Food preparation is as diverse as cultural differences.

spoken like a true northerner

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yamu said:

I find it middling at best. South Australia has the best Pho outside of Southern Thailand

Lol @ South Australia. The murder capital of the world where they have rockspiders along the Torrens and a waiting list for gender transition surgery for 3yo's.

You sound like an Adelaide nupty, you probably smash dents for a living 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Yamu said:

I know everything about Pho, the recipes, the textures, the origins. It comes as no surprise that the elite southern restaurants do a far better job of dishing up this delicious dish than the mouldy river water that the north trys to pass as this delicacy. It tastes like it is squeezed freshly from @Mekong2Mamtin armpits after the obese monger has walked to the corner store and back in 45 degree heat and 99% humidity.

basically you have had the commie north versus the catholic south but, many southerners fled and probably some northerners too took the opportunity and moved to the freer states...southern was probably always better.

1 minute ago, Captain Flack said:

Yes originally a Vietnam dish, but thread is about the differences with northern and southern Thailand variations of the dish.

Some try to argue with it but broadly it is accepted that the original home town from Pho is Nam Dinh. This is in the north of Vietnam near Hanoi.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Presnock said:

basically you have had the commie north versus the catholic south but, many southerners fled and probably some northerners too took the opportunity and moved to the freer states...southern was probably always better.

The better of worse part will have to do with people their preferences for a more spiced up or funky version of it there were the use of spicy food is less common in the north. This due to the origin of its climate. North is more into stuff like black peppers etc.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Some try to argue with it but broadly it is accepted that the original home town from Pho is Nam Dinh. This is in the north of Vietnam near Hanoi.

We are not disagreeing, pho is from Vietnam.

The OP wants to discuss how it is served in different areas of Thailand, as the title suggests “Why is North Thai Pho so much worse than Pho from the South”

Just now, Captain Flack said:

We are not disagreeing, pho is from Vietnam.

The OP wants to discuss how it is served in different areas of Thailand, as the title suggests “Why is North Thai Pho so much worse than Pho from the South”

We dont know that, as I said, I think he confused in the first place where it should be coming from.

Just now, ChaiyaTH said:

Maybe he meant soi khao soi instead. This is often also better in the south than the north.

I think khao soi is better in CM area having had it elsewhere many times. but food preference is definitely an opinionated  response to this type of question.  have a good one

the food variances from north to south make a lot of difference, like most countries each region does it their way of cooking. My wife prefers food from the south(where she was born) to the north, she says the north has too much chilli plus uses different ingrediants, central Thailand varies again as well, tourist areas will also cater to the tourist preferences so in Thailand you will always get a lot of variation in your food depending on where you are at the time when you eat. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Yamu said:

I find it middling at best. South Australia has the best Pho outside of Southern Thailand

Ive heard this also, apparently it is extra tasty with broccoli! 

A mate of mine went through a phase of getting pho with beef balls but eventually switched back to just plain chicken, he eats balls from time to time just to switch it up 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Ive heard this also, apparently it is extra tasty with broccoli! 

A mate of mine went through a phase of getting pho with beef balls but eventually switched back to just plain chicken, he eats balls from time to time just to switch it up 

That sounds like the north to be honest, they have classic dishes that are favorable for Farangs like for example some steamed rice with beef, a pepper sauce and brocolli. So they do similar with pho and other dishes. It makes it very easy for farangs to eat local / cheap compared to Thailand.

In Thailand the majority of food is all fried, spicy and relatively speaking unhealthy. Not balanced as well with vegetables. That's why they eat 5-6 times a day too, the rice is merely a temporary filler.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

10 hours ago, Yamu said:

Nonsensical posting.  OP claims to know everything about pho and then makes  the quoted, grossly incorrect statement.  South Australia has the best pho outside of Thailand???  What about Vietnam?

THAI Pho?

What the Pho?!?

Pho.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=aef8a1f9bfa61d69ef5d9c2fbeb69365174188629ae02385d91607dd3ec61981&ipo=images

In Thailand, I've only had Pho is Vietnamese restaurants in Pattaya.

One place that unfortunately closed was pretty OK as the owner was bringing in ingredients from regular trips to Vietnam. 

But overall pretty crap compared to what's available in the U.S. with is usually Saigon or Central style. 

I only had it once in Vietnam in Hanoi. It was good. 

Edited by Jingthing