Not all electrical cable brands are what they seem?

firewight

Hi guys, in reviewing some posts here and other locations online, it seems that not all cable brands are equal when picking electrical cable to wire up a new house...

I have heard some sparkies will not use certain brands because they are sub-par (as in the copper specified on the cable spec is not accurate ie: 2.5mm is not actually 2.5mm, but some lower measurement, etc), however I cannot find any information specifically on what brands to avoid.

Has anyone run into this before, or have any further into to help me make the right choices?

Cheers!

3 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Just go with Bangkok Cable or Siam Cable Way

Price is important, some brands get promotional pricing at different outlets, it is easier to know what to avoid than to wait for a particular brand to get a promotion...

I have certainly come across undersize cable on sale, even from the big box outlets.

The problem is going to be legality.

Due to Thailand's draconian defamation and libel laws, we can't permit members to say on the open forum "XXX brand is not good, it's undersize and poor copper".

From the forum rules https://aseannow.com/forum_rules/

image.png.dee2b329bafe701d50d7e6481740ae2d.png

Of course, it's perfectly ok to post that "I've used YYY cable and found them to be good."

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

I have certainly come across undersize cable on sale, even from the big box outlets.

The problem is going to be legality.

Due to Thailand's draconian defamation and libel laws, we can't permit members to say on the open forum "XXX brand is not good, it's undersize and poor copper".

From the forum rules https://aseannow.com/forum_rules/

image.png.dee2b329bafe701d50d7e6481740ae2d.png

Of course, it's perfectly ok to post that "I've used YYY cable and found them to be good."

What is the world coming to when one cannot call a spade a spade. (F'n shovel)😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I went to spray colour a white cable green, but when looking at it there were areas of red, so the manufacturer had painter a red cable insulation white, now I painted it green.

Hope the electrons didn't mind. 🙂

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I went to spray colour a white cable green, but when looking at it there were areas of red, so the manufacturer had painter a red cable insulation white, now I painted it green.

Hope the electrons didn't mind. 🙂

Long ago when I worked on RN ship systems ALL wires were pink!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

A somewhat extreme example, both these cables are "35mm2", neither is over-size!

Rubber insulation is cheaper than copper!

image.jpeg.5679334846e17393dfd33aafcdac82c8.jpeg

This is exactly what I am trying to avoid 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, firewight said:

@Crossy as you seem to have a world of experience with this, do you think in-wall/ceiling permanent (non moving) electrical cabling needs to be solid core, or is stranded core also acceptable?

Hardly a world of experience, but one tries to assist 🙂 

I would stick to: -

• =<2.5mm2 - solid conductor
  • 4mm2 - solid or stranded (7 strands)
  • >=6mm2 - stranded (7 strands)

THW if running in conduit or VAF-G if not.

Most sizes of THW are available as THW(f) which has many fine strands and is much less of a wrestle to get the larger sizes into your conduit. However, care is needed when terminating and, dependent upon the type of terminal you are connecting to, you may need to use crimp-ferrules to avoid cutting the strands.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, firewight said:

I was thinking of doing VAF-G in conduit, just to minimize any vermin bites or issues with exposed cable down the line...

That works.

Check if you need to go larger on conduit because of the cable sheath.