Is it safe to wear a Rolex around Bangkok??

Mekmong MICK

3 hours ago, Mekmong MICK said:

Rubbish, this is a one of a kind time piece, no one I know has one.

If it really was a unique, one of a kind, watch, you would have said, "No one else has one", not "No one I know has one".   Which model is it and what is unique about it?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

4 hours ago, Mekmong MICK said:

Per the title, I need to make a trip to Bangkok later in the week for an appointment and sort a few matters out. Will I be safe wearing my Rolex? I plan to stay the night and will probably end up at a couple of bars? Should I wear my Rolex and will I be safe from pickpocketers / gangs or should I leave it in my hotel safe?

And a note; can I ask posters please keep responses civil and informative? 

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mekmong MICK said:

It's a Wimbledon version so a unique piece

Nonsense, Rolex made thousands of Datejust "Wimbledons"...there are over 1,100 of them available on Chrono24 right now.  Maybe you just don't know what the word "unique" means?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense, Rolex made thousands of Datejust "Wimbledons"...there are over 1,100 of them available on Chrono24 right now.  Maybe you just don't know what the word "unique" means?

A population of 8 billion and only 1,100?

Sounds unique to me, thanks for proving my point 

• Sad 2

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Only by those who do not know what they're talking about...they are neither plastic, not over-rated, over-priced maybe.

Agreed overpriced although the craftsmanship is elite.

Their unaffordability is what makes them so desirable to the masses who can't afford 

50 minutes ago, Mekmong MICK said:

8 shirts, a Ford Raptor, 2 investment properties in Sydney, a $900 suit and first class flights to Bangkok. 

Flights?  Thought you posted that you came here on your own?

"...$900 suit".

USD, Guyanese dollar or Australian pesos?   You seem to be under the impression that a $900 suit is something to take notice of?

35 minutes ago, Mekmong MICK said:

A population of 8 billion and only 1,100?

Sounds unique to me, thanks for proving my point 

Only 1,100+ for sale on one site (not the total produced).   It has been estimated that Rolex produces in the region of 1m watches per year so that's around 16,000,000 pieces (30% of which are estimated to be Datejusts) since the Datejust with the Wimbledon dial was introduced in 2009, all of which were available with that dial.   I did not prove your point, at all, but thanks for proving that you have no idea of the actual meaning of "unique".

Edited by Liverpool Lou

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A 100% Troll - almost every comment on every thread, this poster [Mekmong MICK] posts something deliberately inflammatory or triggering...    his posts are pure satire, designed for laughing at anyone taking his posts seriously.... 

I'm surprised people are giving his posts oxygen.

Yet you come to post on the thread and pitch in some oxygen 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, novacova said:

Yet you come to post on the thread and pitch in some oxygen 

Guilty as charged..... I actually wrote that point in brackets, then deleted it with the expectation that some bright spark will point it out for me !!!!  

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Guilty as charged..... I actually wrote that point in brackets, then deleted it with the expectation that some bright spark will point it out for me !!!!  

Okay, next time I’ll wait a little longer…

12 minutes ago, Mekmong MICK said:

Agreed overpriced although the craftsmanship is elite.

Their unaffordability is what makes them so desirable to the masses who can't afford 

Actually it isn't about craftsmanship. Rolexes are machine made, not hand made. But this is why quantities produced are higher and waiting times shorter than say Patek. The rest is all down to their marketing. Most Swiss automatic watches use ETA/ETERNA movement anyway, with Rolex having only minor modifications to original design, so internally they are basically identical to other Swiss Made brands. And who owns ETA? Well, Swatch. So basically by buying Rolex or Longines or Tag Heuer or Breitling or .... you're buying a Swatch in a nice case.

But yes, it feels nice (albeit heavy) on wrist. To me, Rolex 40mm cases look too small now, so I prefer Tag and Breitling at 44mm, or a Seiko (also based on ETA Calibre 5/Calibre 16) which is modified in a way that it doesn't snap the spring if manually wound too far, and can change day/date in any position of crown, very unlike original (or Rolex) movement, where it can only be changed in very specific positions.

Not a bad taste to have a Rolex. You can take MRT train in Hong Kong and vast majority wears genuine Submariners. They are HK's favourite graduation gift. You'll find something similar in Singapore.

• Like 1

I still wear mine when I go to BKK, but I don't tend to hit the bars at night.

Though many years ago when visiting BKK (1994), my friend and I were wearing fake Rolexes we had bought. I had my real one in my pocket as had taken it off to wear the fake .

We stopped at a watch stall to look at some more copy watches.  The stallholder somehow managed to remove the one I was wearing from my wrist without me even noticing. He waved it in my face with a smile. After giving it back to me I went straight back to the hotel and put my one in the safe.

• Sad 1