Are they blind?

samtam

Reality - those installing the tiles just don't give a flying fluk...

Those approving the work don't give a flying fluk...

There is just no pride at that level whatsoever.

I wonder how slippery those tiles are when wet... are they non-slip or when it rains are we going to see people slipping over everywhere - did someone consider that when making the the choice of tile. 

When a city such as Thailand has chaotic and ugly streets and architecture, hanging wires etc.. the tiles are just another facet to be messed up.

The most logical solutions would be to lay concrete pavements / sidewalks or lay 'paving slabs'...  and deal with the other issues, blocking the pavements / sidewalks, hanging wires... shop frontages encroaching on pedestrian space etc...   

Worry about 'beautification' and 'pretty tiles' once the primary issues are resolved. 

As worderodie wrote - They look cheap [the tiles], but I bet they weren't (i.e. a decision maker / offical somewhere has profited healthily).

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Similar ghastly make over going on in Talat Noi ........     added to the wholesale destruction of old "shophouses " ,is rapidly turning these two areas with great cultural and architectural significance into another bland MALL scape ...  The government seem set on recreating another Singapore , and what a dull place that is !  The Bangkok riverside of Lord Jim has all but disappeared , and not for the better in my book . 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Luuk Chaai said:

you have to take into account that they seem to have figured out it you do a half assed job ,,  then it has to be done over ..   again and again

the gift that keeps on giving

Yes, like redoing the roads in rural Thailand, every year, after the monsoon has washed bits away. The annual funds to be shared out between bureaucrats & contractors ...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

In Australia, after the 20 permits required to fix/pave a road,

On top of that they need 

- a person holding a sign saying "stop" or "danger" getting paid $100k-$200k per year

- another person holding another sign at the other end notifying you its the end of the roadworks also on $100k-$200k

- site supervisor, getting paid more to oversee the job

- 1 person doing the actual job

- 2 people standing around doing nothing complaining how underpaid they are

And penalty rates if there is any rain, late nights, actual people on the road!

Edited by hellohello123

On 7/3/2024 at 7:35 AM, samtam said:

I always struggle to know why pavements and other projects in Thailand are only ever half completed. It's "good

enough"? The incomplete pavement will never get completed, and over a very short period of time, parts will be hacked up to install something vital that wasn't in the (not)plan. 

Is the safety the part where people trip on the unpaved section, and the convenience that a large portion of the pavement is utilised by the adjacent shop owner?

I guess it all comes down to money, as in "how much to approve the half-arsed work".

Still, at least it's a peony pattern, (apparently).

I do not think "safety" is a word in Thai. At least it does not appear to be.😆

55 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Great idea, now if it rains, and some food oils are around, it will be a ice skating track. Who is gonna break it's neck first?

That already happens on the concrete sidewalk... 

I know someone who hurt themselves (last night of a visit)... walking down the pavement to a restaurant from the apartment...   A shopfront had been washing out their 'open air shop'... Oil, muck water washed into the street... 

the pavement was not level... Over she went, straight onto her hip... filthy clothes - not a pleasant experience - the ground was like ice.... 

... All because some pr!ck was washing their shyte out straight onto the pavement instead of mopping it up...