Thailand to reclassify cannabis as illegal by 1 January, 2025

That's 75% of Samui businesses opened in the past year f##ked, can imagine its been the same elsewhere unimaginative new shops popping up offering the best and cheapest and going bust or looking empty within 6 months. 

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Nickcage49 said:

So first they make it legal and invited thousands of businesspeople to invest in shops, production, etc. Now they make it illegal and put the same thousands of people out of business.

Just another example of this government not thinking something through.

What are they going to do, make it legal again next year?

This is just bizarre.

It is a genuine example of political incompetence, sadly, again...

But, as we know it's TIT

25 minutes ago, Big Bert said:

Why, you really think it will be unavailable by the deadline? You have always been able to purchase it here. 

Yes, but you just can't compare the quality and value of legal pot with illegal. There's no comparison. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

Had this been thought through in the first instance then the situation may well have been different.  Sell the stuff openly by all means but use it privately, only the other day a farang gentleman was openly smoking outside the door of a 7/11 and we have a pizza take away and cannabis joint close by with a few old sofas thrown inside and resembling an opium den the owner wonders why he doesn't sell many pizzas only to the few with the munchies? Mad situation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Strange that they're desperately trying to increase tourist numbers yet criminalising something that undoubtedly attracts quite a few tourists. The left hand doesn't seem to know what the right hand's doing.

Not convinced the left hand ever knows what the right hand is doing in Thailand. Flip flops, contradictions abound. 

22 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

and yet they seemingly have won the war...........try sleeping in a tent with ONE mozzie...only took ONE to give me dengue...

I guess you have really bad luck

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Strange that they're desperately trying to increase tourist numbers yet criminalising something that undoubtedly attracts quite a few tourists. The left hand doesn't seem to know what the right hand's doing.

Both are masturbating.

• Haha 1

Cannabis is NOT a narcotic drug.  It is a Medicine.    

Smoking cannabis flower buds with THC -- in judicious Micro-Doses -- is medicine that has restored the health of my aged body because it motivates me to Exercise.  

Here is my personal experience:  

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

your source link of this claim???....chinese LOVE smoking...at least cigs...ladies too...so china is ok with the prostitution but not weed.....?...they dont seem to mind the ransom and boat deaths either....do tell...

Do not need any direct link to understand how they look at it! Does not matter what the Chinese people love, like or think. Has newer mattered in Chinese history.

Here you have something, that can point you in the right direction: Cannabis tourism in Thailand: How the country’s new weed laws are luring visitors from Asia - CNBC TV18

1 hour ago, Nickcage49 said:

So first they make it legal and invited thousands of businesspeople to invest in shops, production, etc. Now they make it illegal and put the same thousands of people out of business.

Just another example of this government not thinking something through.

What are they going to do, make it legal again next year?

This is just bizarre.

nik...so much confusion, but the BIB love it ..it was a money maker before to bust folks on the spot for a joint. I know a fellow in Samui who had to dole out 40k to the cops back in the day ov a few j,s

Stupid idea....

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmm… talk about a Mickey Mouse process. You couldnt make this up ?

Yes, it can be made up. This crowd already has. Flip Flop!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, zackxx said:

We saw with the "scamdemic" the extent pharmaceutical  companies will go to, most notably paying kickbacks to medical professionals and advertising revenue to mass media outlets, to push their so-called "vaccine" onto the world's population. Millions have either died or been injured by this "medical procedure".

Turn now to the historical use (notible in Thailand going back 100s of years) of cannabis as a cheap and proven treatment for all sorts of ailments, something pharmaceutical don't like because they want you to spend your money on their expensive drugs.

My initial thoughts when Thailand first legalized cannibis use was great- finally a government giving a middle finger to the pharmaceutical industry. This latest development is a disappointment. Maybe the excuse to  reclassify cannabis and hemp as illegal narcotics because of "recreational use" is just that: an excuse. I do wonder if any politicians who support this reclassification are also getting kickbacks from the pharmaceutical industry.

When did any politician not get a kickback? Its why they are politicians, surely.

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

I can do without the stench & zombie tourists. Glad when it gets stopped.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, webfact said:

the reclassification is necessary to prevent misuse and protect public health

Do they really think that people will stop using cannabis because they say so? Are they really that naive? Have they even considered that a program of education regarding the potential down sides might actually be a far more effective way of protecting public health? Do they not realise that illegal weed is far more of a threat to public health because it is unregulated and therefore usually contains pesticides at levels that really ought be illegal? Are they aware of the damage, stress, harm and suffering they are going to cause?

Weed was everywhere before decriminalisation. Weed will be everywhere after reclassification, most likely even more so than before. Otherwise law abiding citizens will suffer because of this. One has to question either the motives or the competence of these lawmakers. They're either living in a fantasy world or they are pandering to corporate interests, there is no doubt.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

The flip flop decisions always.... How can you ever rely on what is good and can be done in Thailand..It will be impossible to criminalze cannabis again..As it is impossible to let people wear a helmet, and the result.. Nothing will change and just a new law that will not be enforcement as so many, because the law enforcers are involved in many cases and they will protect their business

Totally correct

Who is going to invest in Thailand if the government is flip flop decisions

Edited by MikeandDow
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nobbie49 said:

The government also announced that driving will be changed from the left side to the right side. But so as to make easier for anyone to adapt the changeover will be gradual 

Been here for years and it's been gradually catching on.

Time to start doing it myself but I would hate to prematurely wear out my Hazard light bulbs.

Posted (edited)

Hello,

They talked nothing of Medical Cannibis ?? Will that be regulated and allowed ?? They have Government Cannibis Medical Cards you pay an annual fee for, Are those going to be accepted after January 1 ??

Edited by Robert Tyrrell
Addition