Iranian Tourist Injured in Motorbike Accident Involving British Man

webfact

13 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Entire lane blocked all the way down, and you can see the red and white on the Kerb in the photo.

messageImage_1720774327065_new.jpg

That's to where the car was moved, rather than where it happened. There are no red and white markings outside the 7-11. Plus the 7-11 has it's own parking around the back.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You both seem to be saying similar things... 

...  Looking at location of the damage on the car - it looks as though 'changing lanes' actually means pulling out from the parking spot at on front of the 7-11.

...  Looking at the extent of the damage to the car, the motorcyclist was travelling quickly ('gunning it' as lordgrinz mentioned).

-----------

One of the issues here is the way motorcyclists ride - I see many examples of them not looking ahead up the road, they ignore indicators...

In this case it seems we have a driver pulling out of a parking spot into a busy road... 

He'd be waiting there all day if waiting for someone to give way and let him out, or, he can be a little assertive and nudge out into traffic.

The only way to drive in Thailand is to be assertive and 'nudge out' into traffic in such situations. 

Motorcyclists will 'usually' flow around you - In this case I doubt the motorcyclist was paying attention to the road ahead - but ultimately, it appears the car driver would be at fault for pulling out in the first place.

... and this is the issue with driving in Thailand - because of the manner in which people drive and ride, driving requires some assertiveness that compromises our position of blame when having no option but to 'nudge out' into traffic and getting hit by someone who hasn't paid attention. 

You are supposed to both check your mirrors and to look before pulling out. Seems a few here are desperate to try to blame the motorcyclist for something...anything. 

17 hours ago, Sigmund said:

Both drivers were put through a DUI routine breath test by the Police ? Or was it the routine 1000 THB note test ?

I think the days are long gone where a farang can get out of a DUI with B1000, barely get you out of a no helmet fine, which is B2000 if you take the ticket

31 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Driver pulled out into someone's path. Of that there is little doubt. Perhaps that's why @SAFETY FIRST has not come back with the explanation of how it was the fault of the bike rider and why the car driver was silent as to the cause of the accident and why he ended up at the police station.

I was going to see my friend yesterday but he didn't appear.

He's a co-worker, a Scotsman.

I gave him a call yesterday to get more information regarding the accident but he was already hammered, very drunk. 

I struggle to understand him, that accent, I've got to be drunk myself to understand him when he's plastered.

He's not answering phone today, I hope he's OK. 

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I was going to see my friend yesterday but he didn't appear.

He's a co-worker, a Scotsman.

I gave him a call yesterday to get more information regarding the accident but he was already hammered, very drunk. 

I struggle to understand him, that accent, I've got to be drunk myself to understand him when he's plastered.

He's not answering phone today, I hope he's OK. 

A drunken 'witness' 😊 that claims the bike rider 'froze' when someone crossed his path. I guess he thought it was the rider's 'fault' for not learning counter steering...

8 minutes ago, NowNow said:

You are supposed to both check your mirrors and to look before pulling out. Seems a few here are desperate to try to blame the motorcyclist for something...anything. 

Not so much as trying to blame the motorcyclist than simply discussing how and why these happen. 

For many of us who drive here...    we know we need to adopt a degree of activeness in our driving manner to get anywhere. 

When pulling out from a junction in Bangkok, we can't wait for someone to stop for us, or for someone to slow a little to leave a space - no one gives way in Thailand. Instead we have to 'push out'... 

Thus, your comment "you [we / I] and supposed to check you [our / my] mirrors and to look before pulling out" misses out on some of the reality of driving here... 

... On a busy road there is an endless flow of traffic... What usually happens is that a drive would have to nudge out and force their way into the flow of traffic, if they don't do this, it would take a very long time to be able to pull out... 

- The realisms of driving in Thailand is not quite the "Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre"  method we employ to pass our driving tests in our home countries... 

Its also possible that the driver rather abruptly pulled out of the parallel space in which he was parked and the motorcyclist never had a chance...   But, with over 20 years experience of driving here my 'guess'... is on the driver having to be assertive and nudging out into traffic and a motorcyclist came screaming up and wasn't paying attention'... 

I'm not desperate to blame the motorcyclist or the car driver - I don't care either way...  like everyone else, I'm having a guess at what happened which is perhaps influenced by the bias of what I have witnessed of over 20 years driving here.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, NowNow said:

A drunken 'witness' 😊 that claims the bike rider 'froze' when someone crossed his path. I guess he thought it was the rider's 'fault' for not learning counter steering...

I reckon you should read my comments before replying.

My friend wasn't drunk when the accident happened. 

You shouldn't be guessing here, it devalues your credibility. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I reckon you should read my comments before replying. My friend wasn't drunk when the accident happened. 

You shouldn't be guessing here, it devalues your credibility. 

I'd say this pile of claptrap devalues yours

He did tell me the story, I wasn't really interested because I was sat at the bar with a lady friend. 

I remember my mate saying the bike rider was all over the road, not having the skill etc. 

He did say the bike rider froze or something similar. 

I'm seeing my mate later today, I'll ask more questions. 

From my personal experience, per capita westerners are the most aggressive drivers here on the roads. Just this morning a kook behind the wheel deliberately sped up to narrow a gap so a motorbike couldn’t pass through, just plain stupid. This nonsense is noted every day whether they’re on a bike or driving a car. 

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not so much as trying to blame the motorcyclist than simply discussing how and why these happen. 

For many of us who drive here...    we know we need to adopt a degree of activeness in our driving manner to get anywhere. 

When pulling out from a junction in Bangkok, we can't wait for someone to stop for us, or for someone to slow a little to leave a space - no one gives way in Thailand. Instead we have to 'push out'... 

Thus, your comment "you [we / I] and supposed to check you [our / my] mirrors and to look before pulling out" misses out on some of the reality of driving here... 

... On a busy road there is an endless flow of traffic... What usually happens is that a drive would have to nudge out and force their way into the flow of traffic, if they don't do this, it would take a very long time to be able to pull out... 

- The realisms of driving in Thailand is not quite the "Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre"  method we employ to pass our driving tests in our home countries... 

Its also possible that the driver rather abruptly pulled out of the parallel space in which he was parked and the motorcyclist never had a chance...   But, with over 20 years experience of driving here my 'guess'... is on the driver having to be assertive and nudging out into traffic and a motorcyclist came screaming up and wasn't paying attention'... 

I'm not desperate to blame the motorcyclist or the car driver - I don't care either way...  like everyone else, I'm having a guess at what happened which is perhaps influenced by the bias of what I have witnessed of over 20 years driving here.

All just really long winded nonsense. Nudging out? If he was nudging out, wouldn't the bike have hit the FRONT side of the car? 

He hit the back door. That tells me the car pulled out without due care and attention. Stop making excuses.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, NowNow said:

If a car were pulling out from a parking spot on the side of the road in front of me and I managed to hit it, there are a few things I have done wrong... 

- Failed to read the road / risk ahead.

- Riding too close to parked traffic.

- Riding too quickly to react.

My failure to ride defensively mean my own actions would make me complicit in any injuries I suffer - I would want to look at what I could have done differently to avoid that accident. 

------

That said - as the driver car was the one pulling out into traffic, then it is the driver who is clearly at fault. 

The point a handful of posters (myself included) is that a lot of motorcyclists are complicit in the accidents they encounter while at the same time may not be legally at fault. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, NowNow said:

I'd say this pile of claptrap devalues yours

Why are you being hostile. 

If English is not your first language you should translate. 

The day my mate told me about the accident, I WAS DRUNK AT THE BAR. 

When I called my friend (ON THE TELEPHONE) he was drunk. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, NowNow said:

All just really long winded nonsense. Nudging out? If he was nudging out, wouldn't the bike have hit the FRONT side of the car? 

He hit the back door. That tells me the car pulled out without due care and attention. Stop making excuses.

I think you are looking too hard for disagreement than looking into what people are actually writing... 

By 'nudging out' I mean pulling out of the space slowly while knowing there may be oncoming traffic which would usually either try and go around you, squeeze past, or be forced to slow, stop and give way...     

In this example - I'm suggesting the driver nudged out into the lane to pull out from his parallel parking spot and more than just the nose of the car was out of the space...    

(better explained below) - where most riders would see the car pulling out and go around (or slow and stop), if a rider is not paying attention, then can easily hit the side the car...

I'm not saying this is 'what happened' - I'm saying this is what I think has happened after looking at the photos and seeing how cars have to 'push their way out into traffic' here...  Either that, or the driver pulled out of the space so abruptly, the motorcyclist had no chance. 

image.png.4cb2cac7c2845d81ca1525474f472cf1.png

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, NowNow said:

The bike is not travelling sideways 😊 The bike is going forward. For it to impact the back door with force, the car had to be at an angle.

Does it really matter? They’re both foreign nationals, so by default they both at fault. End of discussion.

On 7/14/2024 at 6:10 AM, Mason45 said:

since the Dolphin Roundabout was closed to traffic heading towards the beach in Naklua Road.

And that happened after a couple of girls on a motorcycle were killed by a cement truck wanting to head up Nua.