If you were ever physically assaulted by a local, what would you do?

i have been in 2 altercations here and both times the guys gave up. i am a pretty big guy with many years of martial arts under my belt, and i am very good at street fighting. i was a bouncer back in canada and i usually was able to dissuade people by talking with them. the times i did get into fights i did not lose except once when i was jumped from behind and choked.

enough of the tough talk. i now have iob lenses for cataracts in both my eyes and my neck is in bad shape. i now am fully aware of the dangers that a misplaced punch can do to someone and if i had been smarter in my youth i wouldnt have been so tearaway. now, i would only fight if my life or my wife's and our property would be in danger. life is too short to be a tough guy

people love to tal the talk, but veryyy few actually walk the walk

About 20 years ago I had a gun pulled on me by a drunk Thai bar owner on Samui for beating him in a game of darts. Knew the guy pretty well but obviously didn't return to that bar. 

Think he wasn't happy that I was showboating and checked out on 90 with double top and bullseye 🎯 555

• Sad 1

On 7/13/2024 at 9:52 AM, bob smith said:

for me personally if it was 1 on 1 I would stand my ground and fight back

2 on 1 I would still stand my ground and give it my best

3 or more I would probably walk/run away.

Probably best to run away whatever the numbers.  Fighting a local is like fighting a woman; if you lose, you lose, if you win, you lose.

Only ever had one flash point in my 19 years here. Getting out of a taxi in Bang Na once, I nearly caught a motorbike taxi guy coming from behind on the inside. He shouldn’t have been doing that but I should have looked. He had a wobble on the bike and stopped, squaring up to me as I got out of the taxi.

I took the blame, wai’d and apologized in Thai. He smiled , wai’d back and we shook hands. This was a few years ago, but I still see him around . We say hello, he even sometimes brings my kid back from where he gets off the bus and brings him home from the main road.

I’ve never had or seen the same frequency of violent incidents that you seem to do Bob. Lucky I don’t live in Phuket, eh?