!!

What trees to plant in concrete ring? half day of sun.

The area at the side of a house, around 2 meters wide and 10 meters long has enough space to put in some concrete rings, paint them, fill with soil etc and put some trees into them. The bigger the trees the better.

The area is concrete with soil and grass already on top of it.

A lime tree springs to mind as you often see them growing well in concrete rings.

We are in Bangkok so have many garden and tree centers to buy from.

What other trees should do well in concrete rings? The area gets morning sun until around midday, then the house shadow start to cover it. The higher the tree the longer daily exposure to sun. 

So the questions are, what other species of trees (the bigger the better) should we consider?

And also, the rings could be filled with 100% topsoil, but perhaps a mixture would be better? What mix should we look at?

TIA. 

Consider bananas. That is what I have used in a similar situation. It was cheap and easy and the results of this planting have been very satisfying. I was gifted with dwarf nam wah banana offshoots from a friend's organic farm. (kluai nam wa (กล้วยน้ำว้า).  

Any woody tree selection will take longer to grow and acheive the height to gather afternoon sunlight for photosynthesis. And trees in containers is a 'short term' plan, they cannot grow to maturity in a healthy way, in such a limited soil volume. Bananas in an improved soil (compost and COF/complete organic fertilizer), in the ground preferably, will grow fast and start to produce bananas in a year. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, drtreelove said:

Consider bananas. That is what I have used in a similar situation. It was cheap and easy and the results of this planting have been very satisfying. I was gifted with dwarf nam wah banana offshoots from a friend's organic farm. (kluai nam wa (กล้วยน้ำว้า).  

Any woody tree selection will take longer to grow and acheive the height to gather afternoon sunlight for photosynthesis. And trees in containers is a 'short term' plan, they cannot grow to maturity in a healthy way, in such a limited soil volume. Bananas in an improved soil (compost and COF/complete organic fertilizer), in the ground preferably, will grow fast and start to produce bananas in a year. 

Thanks, I will consider bananas. 

Are there any other fruit trees that should be successful in such an environment? 

8 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Are there any other fruit trees that should be successful in such an environment? 

Lime,Banana and Papaya should all be good.Just throw some of the Papaya seeds on the soil and they should grow.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2024 at 8:18 AM, JeffersLos said:

With the description of the site and expectations "The bigger the trees the better" - lime, papaya, and other fruit trees may not get tall enough, soon enough to gather the sunlight needed for photosynthesis, and in my opinion they are more challenging for an inexperienced grower to manage tree health and disease resistance. These are severely compromised growing condtions. Don't expect it to be easy to maintain fruit tree health and longevity. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...