Bangkok Bank locked savings account receiving direct deposits from US social security

Bangkok Bank has locked the savings account through which I received monthly SSA payments via direct deposit from Bangkok Bank New York. I went down to talk to my local bank branch manager and she said I can still make withdrawals or transfers from the account in person, but that online transfers visa website or phone app, as well as ATM withdrawals, were forbidden as of May 27 this year. She called the central office in Silom at my request, and the staff person she spoke with there confirmed that's the way it is from now on.

I have a friend in Bangkok who also takes SSA direct deposit from BKK Bank New York, but his account hasn't been locked. 

I don't mind going in person every month, but it means that whenever I travel out of Thailand, I can't access the money online or at ATMs, which makes it difficult for maintaining travel expenses. 

Anyone else here faced this issue? I've searched the forums to see if there's already a thread on this but haven't found anything.

Edited by sabaijai
grammar

I was just able to move some money from my BKK Bank direct deposit (US Soc Sec account) to my BKK Bank savings account.  Not that it should matter, but I'm in Phuket.

• Agree 1

Thanks. My friend also has free online access. I'm thinking I need to visit the central Silom branch and see if there has been some kind of error, even though it was explained to me at great length that this was a new policy enacted on 27 May. I'm the only SSA-receiver I know who has had this happen so maybe there's been some kind of mixup.

4 minutes ago, sabaijai said:

...it was explained to me at great length that this was a new policy enacted on 27 May. I'm the only SSA-receiver I know who has had this happen so maybe there's been some kind of mixup.

I hope it's just a mix-up. I don't want to have to go to the bank.  Having said that, when I started the account, I was under the impression from reading about it that I would not have access to my money except in person.  The staff at the bank were not at all helpful. It was as if they'd never done this before. This was the main branch in Phuket Town!  It all worked out, but geez. 

I wish you luck! 🤞🤞

• Like 1

I don't understand why your bank has done that?  Is it because of a security concern related to on-line transactions, or something to do with your direct payments from US?

I do all my banking on line, and have not been to my branch for years (the actual branch actually closed a year ago too).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

I think a key thing here is why BBL locked the account. banks seem to do this without consideration for the problems it might cause.

The account is not locked, it can be accessed by visiting the branch

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Galong said:

I was just able to move some money from my BKK Bank direct deposit (US Soc Sec account) to my BKK Bank savings account.  Not that it should matter, but I'm in Phuket.

Is your deposit coming from New York (ACH) or is it an IDD deposit, I have the ACH method and I can only withdraw in person

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Galong said:

I hope it's just a mix-up. I don't want to have to go to the bank.  Having said that, when I started the account, I was under the impression from reading about it that I would not have access to my money except in person.  The staff at the bank were not at all helpful. It was as if they'd never done this before. This was the main branch in Phuket Town!  It all worked out, but geez. 

I wish you luck! 🤞🤞

I am going to guess that your money isn't coming from BKK NY,but through the IDD transfer route which doesn't have the same restrictions. I have ACH with restrictions, wife has IDD with no restrictions

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

From what I have read about this, it seems that many members have the same problem, which only affects those SSc accounts that transfer via ACH at BBL NY. Direct Deposits of US SSc to Thai based banks is not affected.

you are correct on that

1 hour ago, flexomike said:

Is your deposit coming from New York (ACH) or is it an IDD deposit, I have the ACH method and I can only withdraw in person

It's been a few years. I don't know how to check on the which method it uses, but I think it's IDD.  I don't recall anything on the paperwork that mentioned New York.

It was a hassle setting up because of the staff that really didn't seem to know what they were doing, but once done, it's been flawless. I probably shouldn't say that. 🤐

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

The account is not locked, it can be accessed by visiting the branch

...but you can't pay using the app......................

4 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

But if you deposit the funds into your US account and then do an ACH transfer, that could continue indefinitely with a third party using your debit card and nobody would know.

I gave SSA my Thai address but my benefit is deposited into a US bank.  I just received, signed and returned the 7162 form.   SSA will certainly stop the benefits eventually if I don’t return the form .

It is the recipient’s address that SSA has on file that triggers the 7162 mailing.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I gave SSA my Thai address but my benefit is deposited into a US bank.  I just received, signed and returned the 7162 form.   SSA will certainly stop the benefits eventually if I don’t return the form .

It is the recipient’s address that SSA has on file that triggers the 7162 mailing.

It almost has to be the fact that you gave your Thai address to the SSA that triggered the 7162 (proof of life) form. It makes sense that they would have an easier time proving you're alive or dead in the US than here. 

FYI, I mailed my 7162 form a week ago via Thai post with tracking and it arrived already.  I don't see a need to go full-on registered mail or anything like that as no one on the other end seems to ever actually sign for the letter. I've done that in the past. It simply costs more, doesn't get there any faster, and you get no further evidence that it was received than you do by standard air mail with tracking. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2024 at 7:34 AM, flexomike said:

ACH from New York. Is it possible to change to IDD?

On 7/15/2024 at 12:08 AM, Kinnock said:

I don't understand why your bank has done that?  Is it because of a security concern related to on-line transactions, or something to do with your direct payments from US?

I do all my banking on line, and have not been to my branch for years (the actual branch actually closed a year ago too).

I don't understand either but someone in this thread has suggested it's to prove you're still alive rather than deceased with someone else receiving your payments.

1 hour ago, sabaijai said:

I think it can be done but not sure on what steps you would have to go through

2 hours ago, sabaijai said:

Yes, but it would no longer involve BBL NY. You will need to notify US SSc of a change of bank from BBL to NY to your bank in Thailand. Your US SSc point of contact will be the Manilla SSc office. SSc has a special form for this purpose which you will need to download and complete and also have BBL in Thailand sign - they will retain a copy, the original is then sent to Manilla. 

BBK did the same thing to me, blocked my account with no warning as their system showed that my passport had expired. No warning on this and when I went back to Thailand for the winter break I had bought cash and was about to deposit but thank god I asked before if all was ok and only then they told me that the a/c was blocked.

Of course at the Bangkok Branch near Nana.,  they would not make things simple and unblock with the new copy of my new passport, as the account was opened in another city. Needless to say I kept my cash, and closed the account and went to another bank.

• 1 month later...

Read USA topics posted and note that the Manila FBU is a remote desk job promoted to control and command the business of fiduciary services to USA citizens, retired from Australia to China,

as a SSA.GOV benefits eligible recipient... There are serious mountain of complaints aditional delays, management education problems at internal SSA.GOV operations in the news, and the

SSA.GOV International Operations has only 830,000 USA SSA.GOV global customers outside the USA borders reported by Newsweek... The International Operations has no experience, has no

educated USA citizens feedback and has ignored stream lining, cost effective improvements over assimilation inside the "old goats" established USA Social Security Numbers enforced to

access all USA financial and Medical records.

The "old goat" policy has no Medicare payments for use by legal foreign, life outside the USA

So forget about disclosure of your medical issues used against you living in a foreign country

because you lost Medicare services and money outside the USA borders. This is a money saving SSA.GOV International book keeping ignored and the funds pocketed silently by SSA.GOV

Your SSA.GOV number has no purpose, has no function, is not used as a security identification number of USA citizens living working retired in a foreign country Immigration police temporary

visa monitored bio metrics passport permission to stay permission to open bank account

The purpose of United States issued Social Security number is to integrate, identify, monitor, the personal history attached to financial and or medical activity of people active inside the USA, your USA SSA.GOV name and number is not integrated into foreign government financial networks outside the USA, only your bio metrics passport is accepted the moment you enter

a border you are finger printed, photo identified temporary visa stamped network recorded.

SSA.GOV "old goat" system is a loose security threat inside the USA using a business card printed color name and number with maybe a letter of birth or a DMV license access your

financial medical data.   BEFORE 2017 The USA Department Of State global network of Citizens

Services operates a walk in DEAD OR ALIVE, IRS,  USA VOTE, SA.GOV PRINTED forms and services contract to pickup USD checks in person with USA passport every month.

This was a smooth working secured fast face to face SA.GOV operation al over the globe before Manila FBU asimilated the entire Asia region from Australia to China from a metal desk buried inside the Manila USA Embassy that operates 2 hours a week under "old goat" policy...

Where we go with this  ONLY THE USA EMBASSY can process your dead body parts and your dead body parts are investigated analyzed reported to your USA passport EMBASSY and to the

foreign country financial networks under Immigration data control your bank account owner 

Your USA Social Security Card has no security applied, does not have bio metric security chip identification and no facial photo recognition, the card has only name and a number printed on a paper card. This is what is  recorded by USA banks to supervise financial transactions with people.

Old people who have no driver license. have no Department of Homeland Security issued DMV  star identity, are able to
manipulate financial transactions with no proof of audited identity inside USA business financial operations .  USA Social Security issued identification card has no photo bio metrics only a name and number printed on a business card.

Outside the USA Social Security numbers or a USA SSA card has no security purpose, USA SSA card and name has nothing to do with

identification of people living in a foreign country, monitored by policies of foreign government agencies.

The global validity and rights of a USA passport is restricted to 90 days temporary visa permits, issued by foreign governments.

The USA passport is not a permanent entry to be accepted into a global foreign government citizenship credentials. It is period

restricted, renewable temporary visa supervised document by all foreign governments. 

Your USA passport has bio metric data and facial photo data that is recorded entering a foreign country. Your passport
is stamped dated on foreign border entry and issued a timed visa period to report to foreign Immigration, and is data flagged
every 90 days to report to Immigration police your address, phone updates, etc. 

Your USA passport stamped with a valid temporary updated visa at the foreign country Immigration and a separated Immigration letter is

demanded by all foreign bank accounts, policy to open a foreign bank account with bio metrics photo id passport.  Your visa extension
is also foreign government updated every 90 days and bank accounts validated as your financial deposits are also verified periodically...

If you are signed up with USA Social Security your bank retains your passport identification and reports to the foreign Immigration, tax
authorities periodically... (The new tax on expat earnings outside foreign country, local employment, property tax, etc.  all tabulated using
foreign government security identification from your USA passport validated identification issued letters of approval.

A thief must sleep with your foreign bank manager to empty your Social Security deposited money but you are alerted every zero deposit

into your foreign bank account access of deposits and withdrawals attached to your foreign phone registered at Immigration

The purpose of United States issued Social Security number is to integrate, identify, monitor, the personal history attached to financial and or medical activity of people active living inside the USA. Your USA Social Security Card has no security applied under bio metric data4
identification and no facial photo recognition applied in USA, only a name and a number is printed on a paper card and recorded by USA banks to supervise financial transactions with people living as perhaps registered as a  living person inside the USA and are not periodically verified as people who are outside the USA, foreign government verified  every 90 days living in a foreign country

Inside the USA, old people, disabled, people who have no driver license, have no Department Of Homeland Security GOLD  star identity

papers are able to manipulate and do financial transactions with no identifying proof of security. The USA Social Security issued identification card has no photo bio metrics it is a name and number printed business card.

Outside the USA Social Security numbers or a USA SSA card has no security representation, no purpose, USA SSA card and name has nothing to do with identification of people living in a foreign country that is monitored by foreign passport government control.

The global rights of a USA passport is restricted to 90 days temporary visa entry permits and your USA passport is not a permanent entry to global foreign government citizenship.

Your USA passport has bio metric data and facial photo data that is recorded entering a foreign country border. Your passport
is stamped date of entry and a timed visa report to Immigration is flagged every 90 days report to foreign Immigration address, phone

etc. updates, etc.  Your USA passport stamped with a valid temporary updated visa at the foreign country Immigration and a separate

Immigration issued letter is demanded by all foreign banks to open a foreign bank account. Your visa extension is updated every 90 days

and bank accounts are validated certified deposits periodically...

If you are signed up with USA Social Security your bank retains your passport identification and reports to the foreign Immigration, tax
authorities periodically... (The tax on earnings outside the foreign country, local foreign employment taxes, etc. all tabulated using
foreign government security identification recorded from your valid USA passport.)

A dark web thief must sleep with your foreign bank manager and Immigration in order to empty your Social Security money but you are also alerted, on your foreign phone,  every zero deposit and can investigate what is going on living outside the USA.

If you are alert in a foreign bank operated country you may loose one or two months deposit from USA Social Security number and name

theft living outside the USA but not in a foreign bank account over the counter security, remember in the USA financial institutions do not

at least not yet demand bio metrics facial recognized security identification that is passport controlled in foreign banking countries

Social Security has no Medicaid services outside the USA and no function outside the USA other then identify your benefits application4
to USA SSA.GOV and to identify you to the IRS, able to vote, etc. in all cases foreign connect with USA.GOV services.

If you do have USA vaulted, scattered banking, financial, pensions, derivatives and have lost your identity,  then your only option is to

contact the three USA credit reporting agencies listed free on the internet and report to hold, monitor  transactions and then subscribe

free to identity theft monitor agency, can control your financial distribution transactions from the USA using your SSA.GOV issued tax number.

Manila FBU is a waste of time. they operate two hours a week, they have no expert security financial training and take months to reply

even if it is your desperate emergency they are  unable to help you

Mr Omalley is the NEW CHAIRMAN OF SSA.GOV ASK YOUR HELP and you should contact write to him as a USA citizen suggesting, offer advice steps to eliminate 7191 7192 and aplications trouble delays with and from a metal desk in Manila that is in comand and control of ASIA from Australia to China work 2 hours a wek !

Issues investigate

USA State Department to connect SSA dead or alive 6 month postal delivery

USA citizens are under control and permission of foreign Immigration approved  bank account

Open MySSA access using FOREIGN 10 digit phone and FOREIGN address after entering and using a LOGIN.GOV verified account foreign adres and phone start up is blocked

New Mr. Omalley has promoted Microsoft TEAM security video software but failed to train the "old goat" SA.GOV INTERNATIONAL AGENTS

We’re making changes to the way you access your personal
my Social Security account

If you created a Social Security username more than 3 years ago, you will need to transition to a new or existing Login.gov account or use an ID.me account to have continuous access to our online services. For step-by-step instructions on how to make the transition, watch this video.

If you created your personal my Social Security account on or after September 18, 2021, no action is necessary because you already have the right setup.

The changes will simplify your sign-in experience and align with federal authentication standards. At the same time, we’re continuing to provide safe and secure access to our online services. Be sure to refer to our Frequently Asked Questions for Transitioning Your Social Security Username to Login.gov for any additional questions you may have.

What can you do with a my Social Security account?

Create an Account Sign In

Update direct deposit

Edit details about your bank account so we can continue to deposit your monthly benefit check on time.

Sign in to your account

Tell us what's changed about the bank account you use for direct deposit. Depending on your benefit type you may need to call us to complete this task.