!!

Can a UK Passport Be Renewed Online in Thailand?

There is a UK government website to renew your passport online. VFS websites in Thailand only talk about renewing a UK passport in person with paper documents. Does anyone know if online renewal can be done in Thailand?

If it can, are scanned paper photos allowed on the online website? I've heard talk about digital photos with a code number being required.

I appreciate your help.

My warmest regards,

Peter

Clearly it can be done online within the UK having done it last year

I'm just trying to recall the process

You do need to send the old passport back along with the code you mention

I'm surmising that if you have family within uk for forwarding purposes you could do it ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Do note however that when the new passport is returned to VFS Bangkok, and is available for collection, their normal office hours ..Monday to Friday from 08.30 -14.10 hours..do not apply.  According to the message you will receive--- passports can only be collected between 14.00-16.00 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Plus they CANNOT be couriered back to the applicant!

That is so helpful and useful for those that live a very long way from Bangkok and would like to do it in one day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Not while in Thailand.

I recently renewed mine it only took 3 weeks.

You get 30 days to collect the new one, after that it's returned to the UK.

2 trips to BKK but some R&R and shopping makes a change from the Isaan village.

1 hour ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Do note however that when the new passport is returned to VFS Bangkok, and is available for collection, their normal office hours ..Monday to Friday from 08.30 -14.10 hours..do not apply.  According to the message you will receive--- passports can only be collected between 14.00-16.00 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Plus they CANNOT be couriered back to the applicant!

That is so helpful and useful for those that live a very long way from Bangkok and would like to do it in one day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a ridiculous, pointless moan.  if you dont like it, go back to the UK and get it done.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, renaissanc said:

There is a UK government website to renew your passport online. VFS websites in Thailand only talk about renewing a UK passport in person with paper documents. Does anyone know if online renewal can be done in Thailand?

If it can, are scanned paper photos allowed on the online website? I've heard talk about digital photos with a code number being required.

I appreciate your help.

My warmest regards,

Peter

My Thai Visa. All by email and post. Simple

aviary-image-1716203894158.jpeg

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, Chivas said:

Clearly it can be done online within the UK having done it last year

I'm just trying to recall the process

You do need to send the old passport back along with the code you mention

I'm surmising that if you have family within uk for forwarding purposes you could do it ?

It can be done online from abroad as well. My sister did hers online from the US a few years ago. My understanding is one reason for not being able to do it online from Thailand is the (unenforced) requirement to carry your passport. Online renewal leaves you without a passport until the new one is delivered.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

It's not a bad excuse for a night out once every 10 years.

• Agree 1

Just done mine.....quite easy and straight forward other than I had to apply and collect in person....not sure how you get around that.

Suited me though....any excuse to go the BKK..... twice.

40 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

Online renewal leaves you without a passport until the new one is delivered.

Being in any foreign country without a passport would be a risky business for most people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

It can be done online from abroad as well. My sister did hers online from the US a few years ago. My understanding is one reason for not being able to do it online from Thailand is the (unenforced) requirement to carry your passport. Online renewal leaves you without a passport until the new one is delivered.

See my post showing UKPA's view on that.

2 hours ago, nickmondo said:

what a ridiculous, pointless moan.  if you dont like it, go back to the UK and get it done.

Not really.....just someone who remembers the convenience of passports being couriered back from Singapore.

Ridiculous, pointless whinge about returning to the UK!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

See my post showing UKPA's view on that.

My sister is a resident in the US and used the information provided by the UK government to renew her passport. She completed the online process and posted her passport to HMPO in the UK. HMPO returned her new passport to her residential address in the US, no third party address was used.

17 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

My sister is a resident in the US and used the information provided by the UK government to renew her passport. She completed the online process and posted her passport to HMPO in the UK. HMPO returned her new passport to her residential address in the US, no third party address was used.

We are in Thailand.

Which is where your passport stays.

9 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

We are in Thailand.

Which is where your passport stays.

My post said it can be done from abroad and gave an example, I also gave a reason why it cannot be done online in Thailand.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Being in any foreign country without a passport would be a risky business for most people.

Not true. Thailand has a requirement that foreigners carry their passport with them, rarely enforced but plenty of discussions about it on AN. Many other countries have no requirement for a foreigner to carry their passport with them.

2 hours ago, alanrchase said:

My post said it can be done from abroad and gave an example, I also gave a reason why it cannot be done online in Thailand.

Well done!

At least one part was relevant to this forum 😉

6 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Well done!

At least one part was relevant to this forum 😉

What are you on about? OP asked if it can be done online from Thailand. Another poster remarked that online renewal can be done in the UK. I replied to that post by mentioning that online renewal can also be done abroad but gave a reason why it is not allowed in Thailand. Then for some reason you stepped in and inferred I was wrong and should reference your post. 

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

Not true. Thailand has a requirement that foreigners carry their passport with them, rarely enforced but plenty of discussions about it on AN. Many other countries have no requirement for a foreigner to carry their passport with them.

You are delusional, no embassy in the world is going to provide assistance to someone without a passport.

Try looking at the bigger picture rather than your paranoia over passports in Thailand.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You are delusional, no embassy in the world is going to provide assistance to someone without a passport.

You are delusional, any national's embassy or consulate will provide assistance to their citizens in the case of a missing passport.

32 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Try looking at the bigger picture rather than your paranoia over passports in Thailand.

There is a legal requirement in Thailand to carry your passport with you when you are out and about. This is rarely enforced but is why you cannot renew online. Many other countries do not require you to carry your passport when you are out and about, you can leave it at your residence or at an hotel. Nothing to do with paranoia, I never carry my passport in Thailand unless I need it during my travel, eg. visiting the bank.

19 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You are delusional, any national's embassy or consulate will provide assistance to their citizens in the case of a missing passport.

It is not a "missing" passport.