!!

Import Duties Have Started on Low-value Packages from Abroad

Today I paid my first import duties on a package shipped to Thailand from abroad (the UK). The declared value of the package was around 1,030 baht (GBP 22) - so less than the old duty-free threshold of 1,500 baht. The package was delivered by the Thai post office to the juristic office of my condo. The condo accountant kindly paid the duty for me (70 baht) - and I reimbursed her when I picked up the package from her. So while I don't like paying import duties, it was good to know that I at least didn't have to go to the post office to pay before picking up the package. And 70 baht on a 1,030 baht package is just under 7% of the declared value. I would be interested to know if anyone else has had to pay this duty yet, and if so, how much.

For the sake of comparison, I received the identical product from the same supplier exactly one month ago, but I wasn't asked to pay any import duty. That would suggest that they started implementing this import tax within the last month.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

Today I paid my first import duties on a package shipped to Thailand from abroad (the UK). The declared value of the package was around 1,030 baht (GBP 22) - so less than the old duty-free threshold of 1,500 baht. The package was delivered by the Thai post office to the juristic office of my condo. The condo accountant kindly paid the duty for me (70 baht) - and I reimbursed her when I picked up the package from her. So while I don't like paying import duties, it was good to know that I at least didn't have to go to the post office to pay before picking up the package. And 70 baht on a 1,030 baht package is just under 7% of the declared value. I would be interested to know if anyone else has had to pay this duty yet, and if so, how much.

For the sake of comparison, I received the identical product from the same supplier exactly one month ago, but I wasn't asked to pay any import duty. That would suggest that they started implementing this import tax within the last month.

Just received some car parts sent from Poland, package was marked as 25 GBP value, postman required 77 Baht. Also purchased some LED lights from China on the Bay, was delivered by Kerry and i paid zero.

• Thanks 1

Received a package last week of some underwear and a couple of expensive shirts, sent by a friend in the UK. They put £25 on the declaration form (having removed all price tags) and the package was delivered to my house, with a letter showing a scan code to pay 14 Baht

Don’t know how that was calculated, but I received the delivery without having to pay first.

1 hour ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Imports of under 1,500 baht are now subject to 7% VAT.

The 1,500 baht threshold for customs duties hasn't been changed. Yet.

I see. So what I paid was VAT. Thanks for the explanation.

On 7/17/2024 at 6:22 PM, digbeth said:

at least you don't have to take the green card they used to leave in mailboxes to the post office to pay

Traipse all the way to the Post office to pay paltry VAT. I wasted a whole morning paying Bt100 VAT on a package they opened and found to be correctly labeled as non dutiable item. Pure spite

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/16/2024 at 8:04 PM, BangkokHank said:

Bro it’s just the import officer had a bad plate of som tam for lunch. Nothing is changing 

Edited by Robert Paulson