Cyanide poisoning suspected in deaths of 6 Vietnamese nationals

webfact

3 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

I am certainly not disputing recent reports however I find it curious that they would ALL want to drink coffee/tea before even touching their meals??  I am a serious coffee addict but would never drink coffee/tea right before a meal??

You are absolutely correct about this.

I know that this is true, just from my own experience, as well.

This is still something that I would consider odd about the findings in this case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bananafish said:

I found those things notable, too. 

I imagined that if they were poisoned, someone must have been making a point to get everyone to drink the tea at the same time. Like, "hey, there's this new tea that you absolutely must try".

Yes I wondered the same but along the lines of drinking a toast to someone/thing where its difficult to refuse.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cracker2000 said:

What a massive disinformation campaign by Thai authorities and business intetests to cover-up another toxic cleaning chemical tragedy!

They just flew in,  hadn't even upacked, decides to have a meal together while trying to overcome jetlag. All sat on same room for same exposure time, aleep/pass out ... dead, or died in sepearate rooms and bodies moved to one room and scence staged by hotel/authorities to cover it up.

All happend before.

TIT

have another look..there are dead legs on the floor and a fork !

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You are absolutely correct about this.

I know that this is true, just from my own experience, as well.

This is still something that I would consider odd about the findings in this case.

Its possible, as I responded to bananafish's comment above, that someone was making a toast, something difficult to refuse at any time.

3 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Yes I wondered the same but along the lines of drinking a toast to someone/thing where its difficult to refuse.

We usually do not drink a toast to someone using hot tea!, I think.

Also, as to the idea that someone might have said....Let's all taste this new tea....

Was it not reported that some drank coffee and some drank tea?

Therefore, it's unlikely that anyone was able to coax them to their deaths using the words:  "Hey. Let's all try this new blend of coffee and, or, tea."

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

But but but 7 checked in 6 are dead 1 is nowhere to be seen are you suggesting the cleaner did it? 🤔

#7 is prolly still at the 7/11 haggling the price of a ham cheese toasty.

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

We usually do not drink a toast to someone using hot tea!, I think.

Also, as to the idea that someone might have said....Let's all taste this new tea....

Was it not reported that some drank coffee and some drank tea?

Therefore, it's unlikely that anyone was able to coax them to their deaths using the words:  "Hey. Let's all try this new blend of coffee and, or, tea."

In the BBC news report you posted in a related topic, the reported said that 6 glasses were found - each with dna traces of one of the 6 victims.

22 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Its possible, as I responded to bananafish's comment above, that someone was making a toast, something difficult to refuse at any time.

Sure, and I realize that this might be possible.

But usually, when drinking tea, we do not "toast" with it.

We do not say, when consuming tea, in any way......:  One, Two, Three......GAN BEI!!!!!!!  (bottoms up in Chinese)

And, nobody drinks hot tea quickly!

We drink it slowly, during a period of about 20 minutes, while chatting with others, before we finish the contents of our tea cup.

Alternatively, with beer or white Chinese liquor, we often say.....  Gan Bei, Gan Bei.....  GAN BEI!  And, this behavior is normal.  But even then, some refuse to finish what is in their beer glasses or Chinese shot glasses.

Therefore, I still find this behavior a bit odd.

24 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

#7 is prolly still at the 7/11 haggling the price of a ham cheese toasty.

I said from the beginning that there was NO 7th Man involved.  The facts of the case did not support the hypothesis that there was an involved 7th individual.

22 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

In the BBC news report you posted in a related topic, the reported said that 6 glasses were found - each with dna traces of one of the 6 victims.

Yes.

You are correct.

But, I am not sure how this negates anything else that I have posted.

Or, maybe I do not see what you are driving at.

There were six tea cups there.

One on the food table, and 5, as I recall, grouped together in another area.

So this does support that 5 drank, together, first.

Then, the lone poisoner, after having poisoned the first 5, sat down at the food table, and drank the the final solution of tea.

But, another oddity...

All plates of food were still covered in plastic wrap, except for one plate!

So, there again, you have 5 plates covered.

And you have one plate with the plastic wrap removed.

I find this fact interesting, as well.

Also, the seaweed dish was half-uncovered of its plastic wrap!

So, maybe the 6th person, Chong, maybe, had a taste of seaweed or kelp, before downing her cup of poison?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Another thing:

Just how fast are they able to sequence DNA, these days, in Thailand????

I am not up to speed on this, regarding the speed that this is possible.

Anyone know?

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.

You are correct.

But, I am not sure how this negates anything else that I have posted.

Or, maybe I do not see what you are driving at.

Just saying that the "toast" suggestion is a possibility. The tea/coffee could have been consumed prior.

I have not read any official confirmation that the poison was in the tea/coffee cups (nor the glasses).

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Another thing:

Just how fast are they able to sequence DNA, these days, in Thailand????

I am not up to speed on this, regarding the speed that this is possible.

Anyone know?

According to this ... https://www.acs.org/pressroom/presspacs/2010/acs-presspac-august-4-2010/fast-forensic-test-can-match-suspects-dna-with-crime-samples-in-four-hours.html

4 hours is possible. But I doubt that such service is available here.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Just saying that the "toast" suggestion is a possibility. The tea/coffee could have been consumed prior.

I have not read any official confirmation that the poison was in the tea/coffee cups (nor the glasses).

You are correct that the toast could have been with the sports drink, or a cola, for example.

There were traces found of white powder in all of the tea cups.

And, I guess you are correct that this white powder has not yet been definitively analysed and identified.

So, a toast with some other drink is possible.

6 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Yes.

Very good information.

AND, as you see, the article states:

image.png.f150e22800e390f24ff8bf009658a4fd.png

Therefore, I really DO question the assertion that they had been able to match DNA found on the drinking glasses to the victims, in less than 24 hours.

I REALLY DO doubt that they could have.

And, this chip technology that can do the workup in 4 hours is still in development, and not available here, I would expect.

In other sources it's told about the one 56 years old woman who poisoned the others before committing suicide.

To cover up she ordered even food for all though 5 were already dead.

There was money involved. Around 250.000 Euro which the woman should pay back to one deceased couple.

Obviously the investment to build a Hospital in Japan failed. 

Money gone.

So final exit!😵‍💫

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

But but but 7 checked in 6 are dead 1 is nowhere to be seen are you suggesting the cleaner did it? 🤔

Not so - seven rooms were booked but the seventh person did not check in and was already back in Vietnam before events unfolded, as stated in the other thread on this.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

The food that was properly laid out but not consumed can be related to Chinese custom for the dead. The food is meant for the departed so they can filled their stomach before embarking their after life journey. It is customary to have elaborate preparation for the food for the departed. 

I think you're reading too much from the picture.

That food was ordered from room service, some which still has plastic wrap over it.  As it is room service food, portions are served individually and not "family style".  

It just looks like food laid out so this group can have one last meal together before they check-out and go their separate ways.  

I don't know how or why they died, but I think the food was just food, no meaning or symbolism to it.

Thai media report.

“At the Office of Police Forensic Science, Police Lieutenant General Trirong Phiwphan, the Commander of the Forensic Science Division, attended a briefing on the evidence found at the crime scene at a renowned hotel in the Ratchaprasong area, following the deaths of six foreigners. The evidence, collected last night (July 16), included five glasses found on a tea table and one glass on a dining table, all of which tested positive for cyanide.

Additionally, three metal teapots were examined. Two showed no traces of cyanide, while one was found to contain the poison. A tea bag containing cyanide was also discovered, with another cyanide-laced tea bag found in a trash bin, distinguished by its dark color. Other items tested did not reveal any traces of cyanide.

"Cyanide, when mixed with water, is tasteless and odorless, making it undetectable to those who consume it. Once ingested, it prevents the blood from exchanging oxygen, taking effect in less than five minutes depending on the amount. The victim's skin turns pink, and their breath emits an almond odor," said the Commander of the Forensic Science Division.”

Video of the Commander at the Forensic Science Department, with some of the evidence.

Edited by Georgealbert

One of Six Dead Suspected of Group Poisoning at Bangkok Hotel (khaosodenglish.com)

its all about 10m THB, they borrowed to that woman and she offed everyone including herself, thats what I get from it.

"

The motive stemmed from her huge debt after she persuaded the couple in this group to invest in building a hospital in Japan. However, they ended up losing 10 million baht (or about 278,000 US dollars).

This married couple had been constantly asking her for their money back. Eventually, both parties agreed to meet in Japan to clear things up, but one person couldn’t get a visa to Japan. So they changed the meeting place to Thailand, where they could also pay respects at Wat Yannawa, which is a popular place for Vietnamese people as well.... อ่านข่าวต้นฉบับได้ที่ : "

UPDATE:

Debt Dispute Leads to 6 Deaths in Bangkok Hotel Poisoned by Cyanide (khaosodenglish.com) 

UPDATE:

UPDATE: Police on Wednesday evening interrogate Vietnamese guide, Mr Phan Ngoc Vu, 35, in relation to the deaths of six people at a luxury hotel in Bangkok. Phan told police he was requested by one of the six, Ms Thi Nguyễn Phueng Lan, to buy what she described as "snake medicine" and gave 11,000 baht with an instruction. Phan eventually asked another guide by the alias of "tiger guide" to procure the "medicine".
Police are now searching for the second guide and checking CCTV caneras of another hotel where Ms Thi earlier stayed.
Thi's sister was the seventh person who booked at the luxury hotel but left for Vietnam earlier and didn't show up.
Phan added he was asked by Ms Thi's husband, a Japanese man, to exchange 70 million Vietnamese dong into Thai baht, and hand it to Thi's sister, the sum of about 90,000 baht before she left Thailand for Danang, Vietnam.
Police are currently questioning the Japanese man.
Edited by Pattaya420

15 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Possible theory, but will the autopsy to be able to confirm if this was cyanide poisoning. Testing of the reported found, suspect substance maybe the best option.

Cyanide - “After oral intake, the inhibition of psychophysical abilities occurs within a few seconds to 1 or 2 min. In some cases, a latency interval of 5–10 min or longer has been reported. Soon after loss of consciousness, convulsions, hypotension, apnea, shock, and, eventually, death from cellular asphyxia have been observed.” - Dorooshi G, Dorostkar A, Rahimi A, Zoofaghari S. An unusual acute cyanide intoxication. Adv Biomed Res.2020;9:42.

Research by Sam Houston State University, U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Chemical Defense; and South Dakota State University shows that.

“Unless cyanide is discovered at the time of death on the mouth or nose, elevated cyanide concentrations can only be found for up to two days under toxicological testing.

Problem at autopsy is that due to the relatively short half-life of cyanide, toxicological detection of cyanide to confirm cyanide poisoning may only be feasible within the first few hours following exposure. Cyanide levels in blood samples taken at autopsy the next day have been reported to decrease by approximately 79 percent.”

Newer research and testing techniques are available, such as from liver and blood samples using Headspace-Ion Mobility Spectrometry, but do the RTP have access to such equipment, or maybe the FBI will be able to help, as they are now involved in the investigation.

According to the latest news. One lady gave a loan of several millions for investment in an hotel (it seems in Japan). The deal went wrong and all the money was gone. It appears that the lady decided to take revenge by poisoning everybody involved wilth cyanide. She decided to commit suicide by drinking the same stuff to escape shame and because she couldn't stand the loss.

Possible theory, but will the autopsy to be able to confirm if this was cyanide poisoning. Testing of the reported found, suspect substance maybe the best option.

Cyanide - “After oral intake, the inhibition of psychophysical abilities occurs within a few seconds to 1 or 2 min. In some cases, a latency interval of 5–10 min or longer has been reported. Soon after loss of consciousness, convulsions, hypotension, apnea, shock, and, eventually, death from cellular asphyxia have been observed.” - Dorooshi G, Dorostkar A, Rahimi A, Zoofaghari S. An unusual acute cyanide intoxication. Adv Biomed Res.2020;9:42.

Research by Sam Houston State University, U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Chemical Defense; and South Dakota State University shows that.

“Unless cyanide is discovered at the time of death on the mouth or nose, elevated cyanide concentrations can only be found for up to two days under toxicological testing.

Problem at autopsy is that due to the relatively short half-life of cyanide, toxicological detection of cyanide to confirm cyanide poisoning may only be feasible within the first few hours following exposure. Cyanide levels in blood samples taken at autopsy the next day have been reported to decrease by approximately 79 percent.”

Newer research and testing techniques are available, such as from liver and blood samples using Headspace-Ion Mobility Spectrometry, but do the RTP have access to such equipment, or maybe the FBI will be able to help, as they are now involved in the investigation.

Newer research and testing techniques are available, such as from liver and blood samples using Headspace-Ion Mobility Spectrometry, but do the RTP have access to such equipment, or maybe the FBI will be able to help, as they are now involved in the investigation

Thank you professor Georges Albeert AI Google for your brilliant presentation. Of course you fact checked your copy. hahahaha

1 hour ago, vangrop said:

Thank you professor Georges Albeert AI Google for your brilliant presentation. Of course you fact checked your copy. hahahaha

So please show me where my information is wrong? My quotes were taken from the research I quoted.

I will provide you the links to the relevant research, so you can do you own fact checks.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9322444/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7532833/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2468170923000759

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3834424/

Your arrogance is a poor disguise for your ignorance.

Edited by Georgealbert