60-day visa exemptions are now unlimited at land borders

1 minute ago, kwilco said:

so how do you interpret that?

It means that if you try and do back to back visa exempt entries via air and also now via land borders you will eventually be refused entry.

Not so critical for land border entry.

Very inconvenient for entry via air. 

Expunge the idea "unlimited entries" 

Won't happen 

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Expunge the idea "unlimited entries"

Yet that is what we are told.

I believe it won't last but I have no evidence....yet.

What is your evidence?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Totally wrong! Embassies and consulates come under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, totally separate from immigration.

They are representatives of the Thai government!

Your suggesting that they dint communicate before telling other countries?

Edited by kwilco
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, kwilco said:

They are representatives of the Thai government!

You are not even looking at emoji to your threads. 

Making statements that lack understanding..

Just one example refer to post above from @bigt3116

His post is accurate and some of your posts the opposite. 

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Take a look at the title - " 60-day visa exemptions are now unlimited at land borders"

My posts are questioning this - and no-one has come up with any reliable evidence either way,

• Like 1

Thai Visa Service has update their web page with the following: "We confirmed that these runs are possible Unlimited times for some of the 93 Countries covered under this agreement. Even you had two runs this year already. We keep updating information as soon they become avalaible."

They dont state which countries however, so its all very much up in the air at the moment. Just have to wait and see how it all unfolds. It does seem like they are loosening up the rules, but if something bad happens with tourists abusing exempts etc - i am sure they will put some limits again. And it seems as they already have for some countries.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 12:35 PM, DrJack54 said:

OK - Nruchai Ninnad deputy director-general of the Department of Consular Affairs at Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs has stated that the 60 day is "permanent" and that IMMIGRATION has set no limit - he expounded that so long as you wait 1 day, you can come back as a tourist and will receive another 60days (plus extension).Final decision is at the discretion of the immigration officer.

Looks like the visa-run companies are back in business!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2024 at 10:52 AM, Chivas said:

...Time will tell whether the Embassies have updated completely wrongly these last 3 weeks or not...

I believe it is not "the Embassies", in plural, but only the embassy in London that still has that incorrect information on its website.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2024 at 12:39 AM, kwilco said:

I have heard that after you complete 90day (inc extension) you cannot re-enter Thailand without a visa for 6 months.

You have heard false information.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Final decision is at the discretion of the immigration officer.

No surprise. 

As MFA does not make immigration laws and certainly do not speak for immigration officers at airports or land borders.

What don't you understand.

Visa exempt entries via air are already  unlimited. Can you use them to have continuous stay in Thailand? No.

Will you be able to live in Thailand using ongoing visa exempt via land? No

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No surprise. 

As MFA does not make immigration laws and certainly do not speak for immigration officers at airports or land borders.

What don't you understand.

Visa exempt entries via air are already  unlimited. Can you use them to have continuous stay in Thailand? No.

Will you be able to live in Thailand using ongoing visa exempt via land? No

apparently yes - you can.

Immmigration have said they are not enforcing the old land crossing limits (specifically referred to) and in fact there used to be a 6 times per year limit on flights too.

K.Naruchai desribed to new rules as "permanent"

Edited by kwilco
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

End of. Not wasting any more on chit chat. 

Yes you can according to who? 

Don't tell me MFA. 

Laughable 

THe MFA have introduced the 60 day visa exempt - are you saying it isn't in effect?

Just now, kwilco said:

THe MFA have introduced the 60 day visa exempt - are you saying it isn't in effect?

MFA introduced nothing. 

Thai immigration made the change to 60 days VE entry and placed in gazette.

Thai immigration is be responsible for admission into Thailand.

As always that will be at discretion of immigration officer.

24 minutes ago, Maestro said:

You hace heard false information.

Yes but you haven't introduced anything to the contrary.

In the OP if was hoping people could come up with some reliable evidence.

i've just listened to a Spotify podcast with the deputy director-general of the Department of Consular Affairs at Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Naruchai Ninnad - who has said that immigration has no limitation on the number of times you can return overland on 60 visa exempt (with 30 day extension) so long as you return at least one day later.

Imigration Laws are decided by The immigration Commission which consists of the Under Secretary of the Minister of Interior as Chairman and the following members: Under Secretary of Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Director general, Police Department. Director General, labor Department.

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

MFA introduced nothing. 

Thai immigration made the change to 60 days VE entry and placed in gazette.

Thai immigration is be responsible for admission into Thailand.

As always that will be at discretion of immigration officer.

Laws are decided by The immigration Commission will consist of the Under Secretary of the Minister of Interior as Chairman and the following members: Under Secretary of Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Director general, Police Department. Director General, labor Department.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if everything goes back to the way it was before. Thais are too bipolar, today they like foreigners, tomorrow they hate them. They are too insecure and paranoid

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Laws are decided by The immigration Commission will consist of the Under Secretary of the Minister of Interior as Chairman and the following members: Under Secretary of Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Director general, Police Department. Director General, labor Department.

Immigration will have the final say, and as, yet they haven't spoken.

38 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Immigration will have the final say, and as, yet they haven't spoken.

I have already said that the officer in front of you has final say - however this is a majot change in Visa exempt and DTV etc etc - it is unlikely that immigration will without notice revert back to the old 30 day system and restrictions. For instance there are no changes to retirement and marriage rules - this is not down tpo immigration in the first place the policies are set by the government.

I have said from the start that these laws tend to be poorly introduced (v the marijuana laws/wildlife/road traffic etc - it remain to be seen what migration will make of them after a few months - but K.Nurachai claims these laws have been months/years in thw making and are part of the long-term review and reform of how people get into THailand. THy also say they are the first "short-term" changes (permanent in nature) to be followed by changes in the near mid and long-term future.

I doubt if anything is cut and dried as it never is in Thailand, but as laid out at present, the is no reason that someone couldn't stay long-term in Thailand so long as they are a tourist and can afford it.

Edited by kwilco

On 8/5/2024 at 11:03 AM, kwilco said:

…In theory you can now stay for up to 90day as many times as you want.…

In theory, each entry into Thailand, regardless whether visa-exempt or with any type of visa, is granted at the discretion of an immigration official (IO) within the bounds of Section 12 of the Immigration Act BE.  2522 (1997).

19 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Never was such a rule, never ever ever!

Yes- on the Thai UK embassy site for several years.

People love to see Thai immigration rules in black and white - yet they don't seem to grasp how inconsistent these rules can be and how apparently various clerks and officers can make up their own interpretation on them - this then invokes the problems of Kraeng Jai that obfuscates the situation even further.

It's also a factor thet not many people flew in and out of Thailand 6 times in a year (or was that 6 months?) on visa exempt.

Edited by kwilco

5 minutes ago, kwilco said:

It's also a factor thet not many people flew in and out of Thailand 6 times in a year (or was that 6 months?) on visa exempt.

As others have pointed out "no such rule" 

You fall back position of referring to MFA and foreign embassy web sites (esp UK) is laughable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

As others have pointed out "no such rule" 

You fall back position of referring to MFA and foreign embassy web sites (esp UK) is laughable. 

Nothing foreign about the Thai embassy anywhere -it's Thai.

Maestro

Global Moderator

Posted 10 hours ago

On 8/5/2024 at 9:52 AM, Chivas said:

...Time will tell whether the Embassies have updated completely wrongly these last 3 weeks or not...

I believe it is not "the Embassies", in plural, but only the embassy in London that still has that incorrect information on its website.

Edited by kwilco

27 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Thank you for confirming my statement that the information you keep quoting from the website of the Thai embassy in London is false.

Henceforth, please refrain from quoting that false information again.

I'm quoting your post - You miss my point - form the OP I have being trying to point out that although the information is not available people are trying to see things in black and white, which is not the situation with any rules or regulations put forward by any Thai administration. I firmly believe that the full implementation of the new regs will not be fully understood for some time, yet again people are trying to make definitive answers when they are simply not in a position to do so - the embassy statement is an example of this.

Edited by kwilco
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1