House approves 122 billion baht digital wallet scheme budget

15 hours ago, sandyf said:

Been quite involved in all the finacial initiatives since they started in Aug 2020, so more than most, particularly interfering foreigners that have never participated.

You are obviously ignorant or supportive of the Crooked/evil WEF's agenda!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Bagwain said:

You are obviously ignorant or supportive of the Crooked/evil WEF's agenda!

And you obviously have difficulty understanding English.

• Sad 1

On 7/20/2024 at 3:03 PM, Pouatchee said:

what do you care? you are rich? you dont need to exchange money?

and no, i dont live comfortably with the exchange rate. are you posh?

I didn't say I cared because obviously I don't but I do think it's a bit selfish and inconsiderate to hope for the baht to collapse just so you can stretch your pension. It's not Thailand's fault you have to live on a shoestring, is it?

When are people like you going to face facts?
Thailand isn't a retirement home for poor westerners.
It doesn't set the exchange rate with whatever currency your income is denominated in; the market does.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pouatchee said:

still trolling on about this? from what i can see you arent very respected here... and yes... the number of posts you make and your reputation here by the stats reveals much about you. i still think you are a baiting loser who can pack all his things in a carry-on suitcase. 

You can think what you like and continue with the insults; it only serves to highlight what kind of person you are.
Now off you go and cry some more about exchange rates.

Maybe being "respected" on a forum of curmudgeons is all the validation someone in your position can get so, by all means, revel in it. 
Most would say it's pretty pathetic and that you should get a life; ANY kind of life

Edited by BuddyPish

On 7/20/2024 at 1:09 PM, patman30 said:

They will pay the majority of people the CBDC equivalent of 10k baht to accept the CBDC
then they will tell you what you can and cannot spend your CBDC money on.

Yep this is a primer towards CBDC acceptance...hard to resist the "free" money  but no one should be fooled  as it's not free money and not without strings attached.

• Agree 1

On 7/21/2024 at 9:09 AM, mfd101 said:

20 or 30 million impoverished peasants who don't have an income of more than 5000฿ a year, and can't read or write, and don't have a bank account, and wouldn't know one end of a mobile phone or desktop computer from the other

Just curious.

Is the illiteracy rate that high in Thailand?

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Just curious.

Is the illiteracy rate that high in Thailand?

Well, I'm generalizing from my personal experience here in south Surin.

Many people have 'been to school' for 1 year or 3 or 4 or more, but learned nothing. I have a MIL 6 years older than me who signs documents with her thumb print, a PIL 3 years older than me who can sign his name ("Taught by the monks") and that's all, a BIL in his mid-40s who 'went to school' but is 100% illiterate, a SIL late 30s who's 'been to university' and is indeed literate (including for legal documents) but not a single book in the house for the children (just the mandatory mobile phones). My b/f (age 35) went to school for 1 year only (in between minding the buffalos) and can barely read more than 3 words at a time of Thai. In Canberra I sent him to technical college to learn to read English but he dropped out after 6 months. He speaks OK English to get by.

My observation here is these mixed - but mostly negative - outcomes are common. The problem is in social attitudes ('Why bother?') and the appalling standards of rural schools. Some teachers OK at a low level, some (one female cousin) appalling and should be sacked for criminal negligence and inappropriate behaviours ... I suspect that all of this is common throughout rural Thailand. Until fixed, the nation as a whole cannot move forward.

Edited by mfd101

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Well, I'm generalizing from my personal experience here in south Surin.

Many people have 'been to school' for 1 year or 3 or 4 or more, but learned nothing. I have a MIL 6 years older than me who signs documents with her thumb print, a PIL 3 years older than me who can sign his name ("Taught by the monks") and that's all, a BIL in his mid-40s who 'went to school' but is 100% illiterate, a SIL late 30s who's 'been to university' and is indeed literate (including for legal documents) but not a single book in the house for the children (just the mandatory mobile phones). My b/f (age 35) went to school for 1 year only (in between minding the buffalos) and can barely read more than 3 words at a time of Thai. In Canberra I sent him to technical college to learn to read English but he dropped out after 6 months. He speaks OK English to get by.

My observation here is these mixed - but mostly negative - outcomes are common. The problem is in social attitudes ('Why bother?') and the appalling standards of rural schools. Some teachers OK at a low level, some (one female cousin) appalling and should be sacked for criminal negligence and inappropriate behaviours ... I suspect that all of this is common throughout rural Thailand. Until fixed, the nation as a whole cannot move forward.

Actually, although I have no personal experience with what you describe, I recall a CMU-prof-friend of mine often complaining about the terrible state of schools in Thailand. He spent much of his life doing what he could, including opening a small school himself.  I searched the net for images of south Surin, and it seems a beautiful area.  Perhaps the people living in the area, some of them, feel not need to read. I could not live there, but it might be nice for a short visit.  The alien world of the illiterate is not the place I want to be.

• Thumbs Up 1