My Blood Pressure Numbers are always Normal - I'm Confused .

I am a 75 year old male who is overweight at ( 80kg ) I have been taking my blood pressure at home for many years using an Omron HEM-7130 machine. I have been keeping a written record of my blood pressure readings .

Over the past years my blood pressure readings have all ways been within the ‘’ Ideal blood pressure ‘’ area according to my blood pressure chart .

Other family members also use the same Omron HEM-7130 machine to check their blood pressure and their readings are all different. I have taken my blood pressure reading using both arms and at different times of the day and both standing and sitting down.

I have had my blood pressure taken at a hospital, and it was little higher than my blood pressure reading taken at home , the hospital doctor said that my higher hospital blood pressure reading was possibly due to some thing called White coat syndrome.

The thing I can’t get my head around is how can my blood pressure readings all ways be within the ‘’ Ideal blood pressure ‘’ area , as shown on my blood pressure chart , taking into consideration my age / weight and general un fitness.

Below are my Blood Pressure numbers taken over the past 13 weeks ( weekly ) using the Omron HEM-7130 machine I have at home........

110 / 61 / 74

106 / 56 / 66

109 / 56 /66

108 / 62 / 63

114 / 64 / 72

111 / 63 / 68

104 / 52 / 66

112 / 64 / 64

102 / 57 / 69

105 / 66 / 58

110 / 62 / 61

111 / 59 / 64

106 / 67 / 65

The Blood Pressure numbers shown above are generally the same over the past years. I was considering purchasing a new Blood Pressure Monitor so I could compare the Blood Pressure numbers from my existing Omron HEM-7130 machine , Vs a new Blood Pressure monitor , but when other family members used the same Omron HEM-7130 machine to check their blood pressure , their Blood Pressure numbers all varied , so I assume that my existing Omron HEM-7130 machine is working correctly .

So what I can't really get my head around is why are my Blood Pressure numbers all ways within the  '' Ideal blood pressure ‘’ area as shown on my blood pressure chart and why do my Blood Pressure numbers all ways look very similar .

Any thoughts or suggestions please .

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Blood pressure checks are rubbish 

Mine is around 140/90

The doctor once put me in amlodipine , took for a week .made me tired 

Went to another doctor,he said you take testereone that's why it's up 

Stay off the BP medicine he said 

140/150 etc is normal according to him ,if you have no side effects from higher BP then don't take the amlodipine 

• Confused 6
  • Agree 1

One of the biggest problems with home BP testing is that the  collars are not fitted properly. A person with a big arm may need a larger collar. A collar too small will result in a higher BP. A small arm with a collar not tight enough can result in an inaccurate reading too.

• Agree 1

From what I can tell, home blood pressure machines don’t seem to be too accurate.  

I have one, and the readings can be all over the place, depending.  And yet every time lately that my blood pressure has been checked at the hospital, it’s been totally normal.  117/68.  Something like that.  Fine with me.  

I can say the same thing about scales. The last two times I was weighed at the hospital (without shoes), I was 68.5 kilos.  And yet the scale outside the Tops Daily might have said 72 kilos that same day.  I’m about 5’11”.  

Seems a bit low, but nothing to concern yourself about, obviously.  So you are what ...

... complaining about being healthy, having good blood pressure, since being a bit overweight.

80 kgs isn't exactly obese, unless you're only 150cm tall.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Bill Poster said:

I am a 75 year old male who is overweight at ( 80kg ) I have been taking my blood pressure at home for many years using an Omron HEM-7130 machine. I have been keeping a written record of my blood pressure readings .

Over the past years my blood pressure readings have all ways been within the ‘’ Ideal blood pressure ‘’ area according to my blood pressure chart .

Other family members also use the same Omron HEM-7130 machine to check their blood pressure and their readings are all different. I have taken my blood pressure reading using both arms and at different times of the day and both standing and sitting down.

I have had my blood pressure taken at a hospital, and it was little higher than my blood pressure reading taken at home , the hospital doctor said that my higher hospital blood pressure reading was possibly due to some thing called White coat syndrome.

The thing I can’t get my head around is how can my blood pressure readings all ways be within the ‘’ Ideal blood pressure ‘’ area , as shown on my blood pressure chart , taking into consideration my age / weight and general un fitness.

Below are my Blood Pressure numbers taken over the past 13 weeks ( weekly ) using the Omron HEM-7130 machine I have at home........

110 / 61 / 74

106 / 56 / 66

109 / 56 /66

108 / 62 / 63

114 / 64 / 72

111 / 63 / 68

104 / 52 / 66

112 / 64 / 64

102 / 57 / 69

105 / 66 / 58

110 / 62 / 61

111 / 59 / 64

106 / 67 / 65

The Blood Pressure numbers shown above are generally the same over the past years. I was considering purchasing a new Blood Pressure Monitor so I could compare the Blood Pressure numbers from my existing Omron HEM-7130 machine , Vs a new Blood Pressure monitor , but when other family members used the same Omron HEM-7130 machine to check their blood pressure , their Blood Pressure numbers all varied , so I assume that my existing Omron HEM-7130 machine is working correctly .

So what I can't really get my head around is why are my Blood Pressure numbers all ways within the  '' Ideal blood pressure ‘’ area as shown on my blood pressure chart and why do my Blood Pressure numbers all ways look very similar .

Any thoughts or suggestions please .

Lucky you!

IMO many people end up with hypertension because they worry about it too much and maybe about other matters as well. So my suggestion is a simple one.

Don't worry about it!

Edited by Moonlover
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

80kg is pretty close to an average weight, at least within 10% many people nowadays are weigh more. 75 years old with a decent blood pressure and still worried? You're going to live to be at least 90! 

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:
8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

140/150 etc is normal according to him ,if you have no side effects from higher BP then don't take the amlodipine 

There are no side effects from high blood pressure.  That is why it is called the silent killer.  Mopping floors in a hospital does not qualify you to give medical advise, Dr. Mop

But he saw some self-appointed expert on YouTube say it so it must be true.

• Thumbs Up 2

50 minutes ago, gargamon said:

But he saw some self-appointed expert on YouTube say it so it must be true.

I bet I can lift more in the gym than you can , I just done two sessions yesterday and today in back twice again....3am this morning I was in the gym all to myself smashing the weights....thankyou for keeping me motivsted 

My BP today was 158/90 and I'm happy and healthy lifting big !!!

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I bet I can lift more in the gym than you can , I just done two sessions yesterday and today in back twice again....3am this morning I was in the gym all to myself smashing the weights....thankyou for keeping me motivsted 

My BP today was 158/90 and I'm happy and healthy lifting big !!!

158/90 puts you at stage 2 hypertension. Reminds me of that runner (Jim Fix?) that died live on Johnny Carson after saying he was going to live till his 90s.

Categories of Blood Pressure

According to various sources, including the American Heart Association and the World Health Organization, blood pressure readings are categorized as follows:

Normal blood pressure: Less than 120 mmHg (systolic) and less than 80 mmHg (diastolic)

Elevated blood pressure: 120-129 mmHg (systolic) and less than 80 mmHg (diastolic)

Stage 1 hypertension: 130-139 mmHg (systolic) or 80-89 mmHg (diastolic)

Stage 2 hypertension: 140 mmHg (systolic) or higher, or 90 mmHg (diastolic) or higher

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

One of the biggest problems with home BP testing is that the  collars are not fitted properly. A person with a big arm may need a larger collar. A collar too small will result in a higher BP. A small arm with a collar not tight enough can result in an inaccurate reading too.

This can be a problem, but think the user soon becomes aware of it. I use the same make and model as the O/P and it does detect this issue and warns the user accordingly.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Blood pressure checks are rubbish 

Mine is around 140/90

The doctor once put me in amlodipine , took for a week .made me tired 

Went to another doctor,he said you take testereone that's why it's up 

Stay off the BP medicine he said 

140/150 is totally hypertension and almost dangerous, according to almost everything I have read about the subject. 128/80 used to be 'normal' but now it is 130/80 with beat of 60.

16 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

This can be a problem, but think the user soon becomes aware of it. I use the same make and model as the O/P and it does detect this issue and warns the user accordingly.

So, tighten it with the ability to put one finger between the arm and the cuff (not collar), and ensure that the A mark is over the artery.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Seems a bit low, but nothing to concern yourself about, obviously.  So you are what ...

... complaining about being healthy, having good blood pressure, since being a bit overweight.

80 kgs isn't exactly obese, unless you're only 150cm tall.

Not a bit low. systolic is in fact ideal, and diastolic barely low (and diastolic home readings tend to be a tad underestimated).

Agree he can't be much overweight if at all. Unless unusually short or the 80kg was a typo.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/19/2024 at 11:38 PM, Bill Poster said:

Other family members also use the same Omron HEM-7130 machine to check their blood pressure and their readings are all different.

Just because other people using the machine  get different reading is no indication that the calibration might not be off. It could be showing a lower reading for both you and them.  Best bet as I said in another reply is to have it checked against another machine. Easy enough to do and would give you peace of mind. I am sure your local clinic will do it for you free.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1