Thailand affected by Microsoft cloud outage

webfact

4 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Being a bit of a techno-phobe, I find all this quite funny.  The more we become reliant on all this c r a p, the more vulnerable we become.

Imagine this happening in the very near future where we are told there will be driverless cars and AI will be running everything - total chaos.  Should be interesting though.

This latest 'crash' is hot on the heels of another IT failure that lead to several UK retailers being unable to process card or phone payments.  Good news for me on my daily visit to Greggs for my bacon sandwich & coffee that I purchase with good old fashioned cash in this so called 'cashless society' - no queue!  Quite a lot of those 'cashless' people went hungry that day.

I use credit cards, QR code payment, PromptPay payment, online banking, etc., as much as I can....cash payments are pretty much limited to small shops/markets where "cashless" payment hasn't caught on yet.   

Now I hope it don't occur but if the day comes when we have wide spread war and part of that warfare is "cyber warfare" which pertty much takes down the internet, online banking, communications, etc., being able to pay with cash is going to be pretty much the only way to buy what you need.  Well, unless maybe you are super sexy and can batter your body.  😄😉😁

On 7/20/2024 at 2:13 PM, Purdey said:

Was planning a trip to southern China. Colleagues tell me they rarely want cash there any more. All phone apps. This is looking more risky now.

I'm posting this from China, where personal circumstances have found me for over a year. I have no problem with using cash.  Unlike 20 years ago, most of the millions of ATMs also work with international cards.

I have a top-up subway card that I paid cash for, just like an MRT card.

The only time that cash didn't work for me was at a local trade show where the coffee and snack shops only took QR payments. 50 yards away, the Lawson's took cash.

27 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

Interesting typo in there, lol.

yea...brain wanted to type barter but fingers decided to go with batter.  :tongue:

3 hours ago, impulse said:

I'm posting this from China, where personal circumstances have found me for over a year. I have no problem with using cash.  Unlike 20 years ago, most of the millions of ATMs also work with international cards.

I have a top-up subway card that I paid cash for, just like an MRT card.

The only time that cash didn't work for me was at a local trade show where the coffee and snack shops only took QR payments. 50 yards away, the Lawson's took cash.

Good to know. Thanks.