Secret Meeting Held by U.S., Israel, and UAE to Discuss Post-War Gaza Plans

image.png.0bfa20973fb693228ecc61b93c0d0ed1.png

Last Thursday, a covert meeting took place in Abu Dhabi involving representatives from the U.S., Israel, and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to deliberate on plans for governing Gaza following the conclusion of the Israel-Hamas war, according to two Israeli officials. This meeting indicates that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is beginning to acknowledge the necessity of a viable strategy for Gaza's governance after the conflict.

The meeting was hosted by the Emirati foreign minister Abdullah Bin Zayed (ABZ), with the U.S. represented by President Biden's top Middle East adviser Brett McGurk and State Department counselor Tom Sullivan. Israel's Minister for Strategic Affairs, Ron Dermer, a close advisor to Netanyahu, attended alongside two senior Israeli defense officials who have been formulating Israel's proposals for post-war Gaza.

Prior to the Israelis' arrival in Abu Dhabi, the Emiratis had outlined their post-war proposals in an op-ed by ABZ's special envoy, Lana Nusseibeh. Nusseibeh suggested deploying a temporary international mission to Gaza to address the humanitarian crisis, establish law and order, and lay the foundation for governance. An Emirati official also conveyed to the Financial Times on the day of the trilateral meeting that the UAE was willing to contribute to such an international force, even offering to deploy troops on the ground.

However, Nusseibeh stipulated several key conditions for this international force: it must enter Gaza at the invitation of the Palestinian Authority (PA), which must undertake significant reforms and be led by a new, empowered, and independent prime minister. Additionally, the Israeli government would need to permit the PA to have a role in Gaza's governance and agree to a political process grounded in the two-state solution. The U.S. would play a leading role in any "day-after" initiative.

Despite these discussions, the Israeli Prime Minister's office, the White House, and the UAE embassy in Washington declined to comment. The Emiratis are eager to contribute to a solution in Gaza that excludes Hamas but have reservations about the current PA leadership. During a June meeting between several Arab ministers and Secretary of State Antony Blinken, ABZ criticized the Palestinian leadership as "Ali Baba and the 40 thieves." The Emiratis expressed concerns to the Biden administration about the proposed Palestinian prime minister, Mohammed Mustafa, viewing him as too close to Abbas and thus unlikely to implement necessary reforms. Instead, they advocated for candidates like former Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad, an Abbas critic.

Netanyahu, on the other hand, has indicated a desire for Emirati involvement in the post-war plan for Gaza, hoping the UAE will send troops, fund reconstruction, and overhaul Gaza's education system to "de-radicalize" the population. Nevertheless, Netanyahu is not currently prepared to end the war and rejects any official role for the PA in Gaza, as well as a political process based on the two-state solution. 

Israeli officials noted that Netanyahu's defense minister, Yoav Gallant, had previously proposed a Gaza day-after plan similar to the Emirati proposal, but Netanyahu initially dismissed it. Now, however, Netanyahu appears more open, at least privately, to supporting Gallant's plan and discussing it with the U.S. and UAE. An Israeli official remarked, "Netanyahu attacked Gallant's plan and blocked it for months, but now he took it, translated it to English, and gave it to Dermer to present to the Emiratis and the Americans as if it was his own invention."

The Biden administration has been urging Netanyahu for months to engage seriously in discussions about a day-after plan. Secretary Blinken emphasized at the Aspen Security Forum, "What we can't have is an agreement that's followed by some kind of void that will either be filled by Hamas coming back, by Israel prolonging its occupation, or just having a vacuum that's filled by lawlessness and chaos." Blinken also noted that President Biden plans to discuss the necessity of having a plan in place with Netanyahu during their meeting in Washington this week.

Credit: AXIOS 2024-07-25

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Liberals doing what liberals do!

Looks a bit insurrectiony to me!

I support giving the flag burners a one way (non returnable) ticket to the ME country of choice.

IMG_3115.jpeg

IMG_3117.jpeg

IMG_3119.jpeg

IMG_3118.jpeg

IMG_3120.jpeg

Edited by G_Money
  • Sad 1

The latest FAD amongst liberals.  

Flavor of the month:  Supporting Hamas.

“Gays for Hamas”.  Iran’s useful idiots.  

BLM is so old school.

IMG_3121.jpeg

IMG_3123.jpeg

IMG_3124.jpeg

Edited by G_Money

5 hours ago, Social Media said:

Despite these discussions, the Israeli Prime Minister's office, the White House, and the UAE embassy in Washington declined to comment.

I bet they did. Colluding to negate the rights of the Gazan's to self determination.

I understand israel and the UAE doing so, but the US is usually somewhat forward in pushing that it is the land of the free etc and supports democracy etc, but seems all that is just hot air and smoke when it comes to the rights of Palestinians. Hypocrisy writ large.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Social Media said:

Blinken also noted that President Biden plans to discuss the necessity of having a plan in place with Netanyahu during their meeting in Washington this week.

I doubt netanyahu cares about what a lame duck POTUS wants, especially if he thinks Trump will win.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I bet they did. Colluding to negate the rights of the Gazan's to self determination.

I understand israel and the UAE doing so, but the US is usually somewhat forward in pushing that it is the land of the free etc and supports democracy etc, but seems all that is just hot air and smoke when it comes to the rights of Palestinians. Hypocrisy writ large.

Do you think this policy is purely based on the Israel lobby in US politics?

8 hours ago, G_Money said:

The latest FAD amongst liberals.  

Flavor of the month:  Supporting Hamas.

“Gays for Hamas”.  Iran’s useful idiots.  

BLM is so old school.

IMG_3121.jpeg

IMG_3123.jpeg

IMG_3124.jpeg

Another Deafening Silence thread from the liberals.  

2 hours ago, G_Money said:

Did anybody else see the Dolphins?

The last ever dolphins message was misinterpreted as a surprisingly sophisticated attempt to do a double backward somersault through a hoop whilst whistling "The Star-Spangled Banner", but in fact the message was this: "So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish."

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

The last ever dolphins message was misinterpreted as a surprisingly sophisticated attempt to do a double backward somersault through a hoop whilst whistling "The Star-Spangled Banner", but in fact the message was this: "So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish."

I saw the liberal version of January 6th

IMG_3125.jpeg

IMG_3126.jpeg

3 minutes ago, G_Money said:

I saw the liberal version of January 6th

IMG_3125.jpeg

IMG_3126.jpeg

You got to feel sympathy for the poor maggots, looks like every time they get to the Capital they end up with the garbage, at least this time they were pushed in and didn't storm in like on the 6th.

10 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

You got to feel sympathy for the poor maggots, looks like every time they get to the Capital they end up with the garbage, at least this time they were pushed in and didn't storm in like on the 6th.

Nice deflection because that is all you got.

Great photos of liberals being liberals.

At least man up and be supportive of your people.  Not very loyal eh?

On 7/25/2024 at 3:03 PM, Neeranam said:

Do you think this policy is purely based on the Israel lobby in US politics?

As I am unable to lurk in all the rooms in congress, I must admit that any opinion would be a guess, so I'll pass on that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Such was the circus in congress that I'd not have been surprised to see the entire parade of Ringling's circus passing through followed by cohorts of marching girls and a 100 piece brass band. Mere dolphins would have been insignificant.

BTW, I'll bet not many get the "thanks for the fish" reference, though it's entirely appropriate given if the war criminal gets his way it likely that MAD is not too long coming after.

• Agree 1

On 7/25/2024 at 9:30 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I wonder how many Palestinians were invited to the meeting?

Israel should not have been there anyway as they are an invading force intent on stealing Palestinian land and property for their "settlements".

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I wonder how many Palestinians were invited to the meeting?

Israel should not have been there anyway as they are an invading force intent on stealing Palestinian land and property for their "settlements".

It is incredible that the rest of the world allow Israel to be there and assume they can CONTROL Gaza. 

This whole mess is BECAUSE Israel control Gaza. 

Freedom for Gaza and Palestine!

Freedom means self-determination. 

What other nation would be allowed to do this? 

Imagine Russia meeting with other countries, planning how to control Ukraine after the war! 

The US government treat Palestinians as lesser beings. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Neeranam said:

What other nation would be allowed to do this? 

Imagine Russia meeting with other countries, planning how to control Ukraine after the war! 

I wonder if US diplomats feel somewhat hypocritical when pontificating about how the evil Russia is invading another country and killing civilians.

At least a few in the administration have morals and resigned in protest.

IMO Blinken should be banned from all non israel ME countries for blatant hypocrisy.

• Thumbs Up 1