Best country for travel in Asia???

12 hours ago, Hummin said:

Japan, China and Iran for sure if travelling for culture and history. 

Have yet to travel to Japan and Iran, but have travelled quite a bit in China, but far from enough. One of the more interesting country to travel, but most important historic places is quite busy and crowded unfortunate. 

Not so many other Asian countries I have the desire to explore anymore. When I go now, it is more for holiday and food experiences, and rank Kuala Lumpur for some of the best international Kitchen in Asia, not so bad in Dubai either, but Dubai Im done with.

If I would go on a new expedition, it would be Malasia and Indonesia Borneo, and Papua Ny Guinea

Gawd, I couldn't think of worse places. Iran was great in the 70s, but is a horrible place to visit now. China may have beautiful country, but..., Dubai mega hot and false, KL is alright but great food can be had anywhere.

Have not done Japan yet but will get there eventually. Very appealing despite the cost. Vietnam has to also be right up there.

6 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

Lived in Kyoto for six months. Gorgeous, but essentially a small town.

It's got a slightly larger population than Chiang Mai. So it's not that small. And it's really nice. Clean, no pollution, great public transport and has the river and mountains. 

23 hours ago, SoCal1990 said:

If you were coming for a trip to Asia for the first time, then which one of the popular Asian countries for travel would you choose to visit and why? Let's also assume that, in making your decision, that cost isn't an issue and that nightlife and girls aren't a focus. 

For me, the decision is simple. I choose Japan. Beautiful country, fantastic nature, interesting history, and culture, decent food, very safe and reliable, everything works, very clean, no petty crime or scams, excellent transportation systems, easy to get around, good hotels, polite people, etc. 

I would probably place Thailand second, Taiwan third, Singapore fourth and Malaysia as fifth. Bhutan would also be interesting for a short visit. Tibet would have been very interesting too, but about 30 years ago. 

The Philippines would likely be one of my last choices, along with Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia. 

For repeat visits with so much variety and at different seasons then Japan by far, but then I have been about 30 times on business and vacation throughout the country and in all seasons. Overall my favourite country by far for repeat visits and not as expensive for day to day living as many people think. For a first visit this very much depends on season and duration of visit, what person wants to see and visit. I just returned from 2 weeks in Japan and for some it may not be the optimum time due to weather (rain and humidity).

Of the other less less developed perhaps countries Laos was always my favourite dating back to the second half of the 1990s but in recent years not so much due to the influence of another country, first visited Myanmar in the late 1990s for about three weeks when there few tourists and one the most enjoyable holidays that I had, as was Angkor Wat about the same time.

On 7/26/2024 at 5:14 PM, Prubangboy said:

Myanmar = orthodox buddhist vibe, def min $$$$, but it's hard to get to, visa required, terrible food, and you will def get sick.

Been to Myanmar a dozen times most recently earlier this month and can't relate to too much here:

Hard to get to. 15 flights or so a day from Bangkok to Yangon and 2-3 to Mandalay. Additional from Chiang Mai to Yangon. Land border restricted to Kawthoung at present.

Visa required. Yes and e visa a breeze with recent dropping of Covid & insurance requirements. 3 days tops to receive.

Terrible food. Local food doesn't compare to Thai agreed but plenty of international options in Yangon plus there is the delights of Little India there. Admittedly far less options outside of main towns.

Will get sick. Haven't yet and no history of reports on travellers forums unlike places like India.

All that said tough to recommend the country due to ongoing atrocities but a trip to Yangon is always a delight. Love the place and back again October for a festival.

Have friends in Khaosiung Taiwan, will be going back soon for more Tattoos. 

Japan is overrated and overpriced. Did an Okinawa trip, wasn't impressed(exception being the Ramen, lawdy i could eat if for breakfast lunch and dinner every day)

Vietnam is on my list of must go places. My family has a history there, may even run into unknown uncles or aunts🤣

Malaysia and Indonesia are on the list of places i'd like to see too. 

Laos is across the border so will get to it eventually.

Cambodia has no appeal to me.

Have Sikh friends in BKK, if they ever invited me to go to Amristar India I'd go

Thailand is Home😍

Edited by IsaanExpat