Am I missing the point about Chat GPT?

I finally got around to asking it some questions. 

It largely comes across as the “smart kid” in high school. Uses big words. Sounds impressive at first. But then you realize you don't really remember anything specific that it says. Because it's not really giving you anything. It just says sweet nothing in a way that seems intelligent on the surface. 

I fail to understand how this thing has replaced human endeavors.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

It largely comes across as the “smart kid” in high school. Uses big words. Sounds impressive at first. But then you realize you don't really remember anything specific that it says. Because it's not really giving you anything. It just says sweet nothing in a way that seems intelligent on the surface. 

It does so much more......getting concise, usually pretty accurate, responses to your questions is just one tiny aspect

Chatgpt is good for health and information technology questions because it has been trained on a lot of published material. It isn't very good on current events. 

It is a good starting point for inquiry. Much better than Google search.

Just be aware that it can be 100% wrong. It won't know that it is wrong.

Test it by asking things you already know the answer to. Chatgpt is nice in that you can ask follow up questions and Chatgpt will understand the context of the questions.

Edited by zakalwe
  • Like 2

The important thing is the prompt. It can do amazing things if you know how to formulate your question. The more detailed your question  the better the answers. You can read about prompts in many articles on the internet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

Thsi is ChatGPT answering what it can do...555

Certainly! Here’s an abbreviated list of what ChatGPT can achieve:

1. Answer Questions: Provide detailed answers to a wide range of questions, including general knowledge, specific topics, and technical information.

2. Summarize Content: Summarize articles, books, research papers, and other content to provide concise overviews.

3. Provide Recommendations: Suggest books, movies, music, restaurants, travel destinations, and more based on user preferences.

4. Generate Creative Content: Create stories, poems, dialogues, and other creative writing pieces.

5. Explain Concepts: Clarify complex concepts in fields like science, technology, history, and more in an easy-to-understand manner.

6. Translate Languages: Translate text between various languages.

7. Assist with Learning: Offer explanations, practice problems, and study tips for various subjects.

8. Programming Help: Write, debug, and explain code in various programming languages.

9. Provide News Updates: Summarize and provide the latest news and current events.

10. Give Lifestyle Advice: Offer advice on health, fitness, nutrition, and personal development.

11. Plan Events: Help plan events such as trips, parties, and meetings.

12. Answer Trivia: Provide fun facts and trivia on a multitude of topics.

13. Support Decision Making: Provide pros and cons, SWOT analyses, and other decision-making frameworks.

14. Explain Legal and Medical Information: Offer general information on legal and medical topics (with the disclaimer that it should not replace professional advice).

This is a high-level overview, and the capabilities are continually expanding with ongoing improvements and updates.

• Like 1

It’s a game changer for me - 

1. Proof reading essays - I get sick and tired of correcting grammar from Chinese students, sometimes I get confused by the content, which wastes a lot of time. AI takes that initial read away, also I’m  often asked to proof read topics I have absolutely no clue on. 

2. IELTS speaking test answers - Just ask it to create a speech addressing the following points.

3. Lesson plan and lesson reports - You don’t need to follow the lesson plans word for word and it addresses the important points. 

With all of this, you still can’t rely upon on AI, it would be good if it learned your curriculum and your students, everything is a one-off, there is no continuity and no replacement for the personal touch. You can tell also when a lazy student has just cut and pasted an AI essay. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BananaBandit said:

How do you have it proofread an essay?

Do you just paste in the whole essay?

Just paste it in, or link to it.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

How do you have it proofread an essay?

Do you just paste in the whole essay?

Yup just paste it in, ask it to correct, improve, include more details.

You can use this for example - IELTS is an English proficiency test - just copy and paste 

write an 3 min ielts speaking answer to describe a beautiful city that you have visited. You should say:

what city it was - London

how you got there - Flew from Bangkok

what you saw or did there - walked around the city looking at architecture 

and explain why you think london was a beautiful city.

It’s a bit of a strange time for education - my niece just received a qualification in stage and movie makeup, there was a final

practical exam, assessment throughout the two years and a couple of written assignments which ChatGPT did for her. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, recom273 said:

It’s a bit of a strange time for education - my niece just received a qualification in stage and movie makeup, there was a final

practical exam, assessment throughout the two years and a couple of written assignments which ChatGPT did for her. 

Sounds like an awful time for education, if people are using it to cheat.  Lucky she's not a doctor or a teacher, heh?

• Agree 1

On 7/27/2024 at 11:07 AM, BananaBandit said:

You are absolutely correct. 

It can replace many "human endeavours" because these "endeavours" are just "sweet nothing in a way that seems intelligent on the surface".

For example, all of marketing. Lots of resumes and business presentations. The whole  "en$hitification" of the internet. This is what ChatGPT has copied, no wonder it sounds like an MBA.

Edited by Lorry
  • Agree 1

On 7/27/2024 at 11:07 AM, BananaBandit said:

Many people are unable to string two or more words together so for those people it is wonderful. Makes idiots look intelligent.

• Thumbs Up 1