Condo purchase - Lawyer recommendations

I'll be purchasing a condo in Bangkok in the next couple of months.  The exact date that the transfer happens is a bit fluid and I don't want to have to be tied down to come to BKK at short notice.  I would prefer to just engage a lawyer who I give limited power of attorney to and handles everything for me on the day of exchange.  I am funding some of the purchase with a mortgage from UOB so while I know its risky to give a lawyer a PoA its a very specific one that the bank approves and they are there on the day to also oversee that everything happens in the right way.  I would come to thailand beforehand to draw the bankers cheques in the buys name and for the taxes.  Can anyone recommend a good reliable lawyer who they've used before and can handle this for me.  I am hoping to spend no more than THB10k for this.  Thanks for all the help and comments like I am mad to use a lawyer not helpful (this is my second purchase and first time round i did everything myself but now living overseas that's just not as feasible).

Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

So it seems my hope of paying no more than 10k was wildly off.  I've contacted a few firms and been quoted silly fees - anywhere between 75,000 to 125,000 baht just to handle matters on the day of transfer at the land office.  If anyone knows anyone good - that is reasonable - do feel free to DM me otherwise I think I'll just take the trip to thailand and handle this myself!

8 hours ago, Dan SG said:

So it seems my hope of paying no more than 10k was wildly off.  I've contacted a few firms and been quoted silly fees - anywhere between 75,000 to 125,000 baht just to handle matters on the day of transfer at the land office.  If anyone knows anyone good - that is reasonable - do feel free to DM me otherwise I think I'll just take the trip to thailand and handle this myself!

5000 max but again why would you want to buy a condo when you will be paying two 3,000 bad a month in condo fees

Just now, arick said:

5000 max but again why would you want to buy a condo when you will be paying two 3,000 bad a month in condo fees

At this very moment as I speak there in court number one there is a huge case going on where 150 million USD has been scammed out of people buying condos. 

2 minutes ago, arick said:

Don't buy a condo. 

And why would you want to buy condo when it's going to devalue in money each year.

Because if you live in Thailand long term you don't want to be signing the contract every year or be at the mercy of a landlord. Big bonus....you can decorate and buy the comfortable furniture yourself.

Although I agree.....it is a horrible investment, most of the time unsellable and even if you own it and accept that you are still at the mercy of immigration every year.

5 hours ago, arick said:

Don't buy a condo. 

And why would you want to buy condo when it's going to devalue in money each year.

I agree - this is a risk - but not always the case.  Age old maxim - depends what you buy / location, location, location

Seriously DON'T DO IT! I was naive (rather stupid) back in 1999. Moved to another place, later rent a house and could sell in 7 years (SEVEN) for about 60%  of what I paid. In USD value even cheaper. 

First of all, you need/must have a lawyer to see you through the purchase of any property in Thailand just so to make sure

that everything will be done right and correct, but by all means don't try to DYI, too many pitfalls,

Now, you can use a freelance lace lawyer that will will cost you a lot less than a swankey lawyer office, but 10 k will not get

a lawyer worth his/her time and efforts, i would say, depend on the circumstance, location and difficulties of processing

the purchase, around 50,000 baht would be a fair fee for a freelance lawyer... 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Seriously DON'T DO IT! I was naive (rather stupid) back in 1999. Moved to another place, later rent a house and could sell in 7 years (SEVEN) for about 60%  of what I paid. In USD value even cheaper. 

This is in thailand? Right after the big crash? You must have overpaid or just bought in a dud development.  Lots of decent condos have gone up since 1999!

2 minutes ago, Dan SG said:

This is in thailand? Right after the big crash? You must have overpaid or just bought in a dud development.  Lots of decent condos have gone up since 1999!

On the second thought why would I care? 

You appear to have some ultimate knowledge on condos development in thailand after the big crash. Cool, right?

7 hours ago, NativeBob said:

On the second thought why would I care? 

You appear to have some ultimate knowledge on condos development in thailand after the big crash. Cool, right?

No just offering an alternative to what you seem to be presenting as a universal truth.....I agree big risk in thailand of no capital growth / depreciation but that doesn't necessarily apply across the board.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

First of all, you need/must have a lawyer to see you through the purchase of any property in Thailand just so to make sure

that everything will be done right and correct, but by all means don't try to DYI, too many pitfalls,

Now, you can use a freelance lace lawyer that will will cost you a lot less than a swankey lawyer office, but 10 k will not get

a lawyer worth his/her time and efforts, i would say, depend on the circumstance, location and difficulties of processing

the purchase, around 50,000 baht would be a fair fee for a freelance lawyer... 

All your doing is entering your name on the back of a chanote. Can do it on your own with the seller. Even a good lawyer can miss pitfuls with a condo.  A lawyer is not going to stop Thai treating you like a waste if space in your own condo building .

16 hours ago, Celsius said:

Because if you live in Thailand long term you don't want to be signing the contract every year or be at the mercy of a landlord. Big bonus....you can decorate and buy the comfortable furniture yourself.

Although I agree.....it is a horrible investment, most of the time unsellable and even if you own it and accept that you are still at the mercy of immigration every year.

Buy land for sine nice person sign a usefruct live in it tell you die after that you WGAF

16 hours ago, john donson said:

when lawyers smell farang money, all bets are off

service NOT GUARANTEED , only your bill, pay in advance

Out of a dozen lawyers I've only meant two that actually were fair and knowledgeable and they were all in khon Kaen  all these lawyers in the big cities tourist area are laughable.  20,000 for court breaking a purchase contract and lease agreement so I don't know where some body got their quote in here for just a purchase. Normally the estate agent  goes with you to the land office and you can just get a second option with another lawyer for a few thousand. Dm o need for big expenses for a lawyer. If there is big expenses for a lawyer because they have to read so much of a contract or purchase contract then the better is to not buy.

1 hour ago, arick said:

All your doing is entering your name on the back of a chanote. Can do it on your own with the seller. Even a good lawyer can miss pitfuls with a condo.  A lawyer is not going to stop Thai treating you like a waste if space in your own condo building .

and how many properties you have bought and sold in this country to say that all you have to do is enter your name

at the back of a channot? there are so many variants rules and regulations to follow, for an example: is the condo going to

to be solely owned or on a company name? is the title clear or does it has issues with with it such as caviet, liens and mortgages?

also, what furniture, chattels and fixtures are part of the property?how about yearly maintenance, own car park or what

and so on and on an on that needs to be cleared 100% , legally agreed and signed on it...

• Thumbs Up 1