Recommendation for Motorcycle boot for needed ankle support

Aloha mate, checking out the Paddock site... any suggestions for motorcycle boots for ankle support?  What are the draw backs of shifting with this type of boot?  Cheers mates.

Those boots look like they’d cook the feet in this climate. I just wear my badass flip flops, easy to shift and the feet don’t cook in the heat.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rhys said:

Yes... but need the ankle support... Cheers mate

Have you considered using a brace? I use one for my knee, it really helps. Picked up a cheap one at mr diy, no pain while riding.

Motocross boots have the best ankle support.  Paddock has a good range, with the O'Neil boots being available in Falang sizes at a decent price.

I found them to be too stiff for normal riding, and walking is not easy, so not ideal for everyday use.

I went for 'adventure' boots in the lower style from Forma - which have a bit less support, but you can walk in them.  I still needed to swap the gear change lever for a longer one to accommodate the bigger/stiffer boot.

To be honest, I only use them for long rides, as they are hot and heavy and make gear changes a less natural process.  So most rides I use some motorcycle specific 'high-top' trainers.  They have some protection for toes and ankles, but nowhere near the standard of the Forma Adventure boots or a motocross boot.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2024 at 5:18 PM, Kinnock said:

Motocross boots have the best ankle support.  Paddock has a good range, with the O'Neil boots being available in Falang sizes at a decent price.

I found them to be too stiff for normal riding, and walking is not easy, so not ideal for everyday use.

I went for 'adventure' boots in the lower style from Forma - which have a bit less support, but you can walk in them.  I still needed to swap the gear change lever for a longer one to accommodate the bigger/stiffer boot.

To be honest, I only use them for long rides, as they are hot and heavy and make gear changes a less natural process.  So most rides I use some motorcycle specific 'high-top' trainers.  They have some protection for toes and ankles, but nowhere near the standard of the Forma Adventure boots or a motocross boot.

Thanks for the insights...

• Like 1

While I was riding a 'real bike' in Thailand and not my current scooter....  I used 'town riding boots'... which as suggested are re-enforced riding boots, for use in town that don't get too hot. Obviously they wouldn't hold up if sliding off at highway speeds, but in and around town seemed to fit the practicality vs safety compromise I was looking for (and still use them on the scooter when I know I'm going to be hitting faster / busier roads).

A lot of these fall under the 'sneaker riding boots' classification.

image.png.ff1bd03030b71777809b324dad19f0aa.png

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

Why do you use boots, or need ankle support, unless you are racing on a track, and dragging your right boot on the track as you round corners?

I would never wear flip-flops when riding, although I would not fear to ride barefoot.

I once did a lot of riding around Martha's Vineyard, and Chappaquiddick, on a Honda 450, most of the time barefoot.

Without the weight of shoes/boots on my feet, the CB450 would go just a tad over 95 MPH, on the narrow roads on the Vineyard, in 1970.

Fortunately for the forum, I am still in one piece, though only bare-ly.

image.png.59ba0c0f75c72063c57eaa7a178c6e5f.png

This was considered a very nice vehicle for its time.

I had a green one, too.

Hate Red.

Better dead than red.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

While I was riding a 'real bike' in Thailand and not my current scooter....  I used 'town riding boots'... which as suggested are re-enforced riding boots, for use in town that don't get too hot. Obviously they wouldn't hold up if sliding off at highway speeds, but in and around town seemed to fit the practicality vs safety compromise I was looking for (and still use them on the scooter when I know I'm going to be hitting faster / busier roads).

A lot of these fall under the 'sneaker riding boots' classification.

image.png.ff1bd03030b71777809b324dad19f0aa.png

Thanks mate.. Paddock as a starter?

14 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Why do you use boots, or need ankle support, unless you are racing on a track, and dragging your right boot on the track as you round corners?

I would never wear flip-flops when riding, although I would not fear to ride barefoot.

I once did a lot of riding around Martha's Vineyard, and Chappaquiddick, on a Honda 450, most of the time barefoot.

Without the weight of shoes/boots on my feet, the CB450 would go just a tad over 95 MPH, on the narrow roads on the Vineyard, in 1970.

Fortunately for the forum, I am still in one piece, though only bare-ly.

image.png.59ba0c0f75c72063c57eaa7a178c6e5f.png

This was considered a very nice vehicle for its time.

I had a green one, too.

Hate Red.

Better dead than red.

Thanks for the insights... I will have ankle fusion surgery on both ankles at the end of the year, at 6-month intervals... I need something now as the bike becomes a bit heavy now and balancing/ one foot down/short rider technique becomes problematic...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/30/2024 at 6:18 AM, Kinnock said:

I use Forma on the road bike.  

Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 7.25.26 PM.png

• Like 1