Has anyone experienced H Pylori?

I'm sure many know about this infection. Not sure how many have it and it's symptoms without knowing. More than half the world's population has it, most without ever knowing. I just found out yesterday it's what's been causing my stomach problems from gastritis for months now. I thought I had it 5 years ago while staying a few days in Hua Hin. I went to the doctor and told him of my symptoms and he prescribed antibiotics and an antacid. This without taking a test for it. He, like I assumed that's what it was. It went away fast and i thought nothing of it until recently. I had what I thought was IBS by the symptoms. Varying bowel movements from normal to loose, stomach pains, bloating from extra gas. This can be so many things it's hard to know without testing. Cancer, IBS, IBD, gastritis, Crohn's, an ulcer, Gluten Intolerence, Celiac, and more.

I've never had a colonoscopy, and I'm 67 (yes, I know) because I've always eaten very healthy and exercised. No excuse as genetics also play a role. No family member I know about has ever had colon or stomach cancer so I dilly dallied until now. My daughter at 37 had hers as she was also having some stomach issues. They removed quite a few polyps but she was clean. She changed her diet, added collagen, vitamins etc and already had stopped smoking. I don't smoke, drink very little and only drank wine for many years before I moved here so I also thought I was safe.

Saturday I stopped eating at 5PM. The only thing on Sunday was tea, water and chicken broth. Then came the prep. Two small bottles of sodium phosphate with water started the flow. It wasn't as bad as I heard.  I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy. Both clear, no polyps or cancer besides the test for H Pylori coming  up positive. I was actually hoping this was where the gastritis was from. They gave me two antibiotics and an antacid. Today, since I came home, things are better. The regimen usually eradicates H Pylori so I'm glad. H Pylori is nothing to ignore. It can lead to stomach cancer if left untreated, so it's a good idea if you're having gastro issues to look to that first.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm sure many know about this infection. Not sure how many have it and it's symptoms without knowing. More than half the world's population has it, most without ever knowing. I just found out yesterday it's what's been causing my stomach problems from gastritis for months now. I thought I had it 5 years ago while staying a few days in Hua Hin. I went to the doctor and told him of my symptoms and he prescribed antibiotics and an antacid. This without taking a test for it. He, like I assumed that's what it was. It went away fast and i thought nothing of it until recently. I had what I thought was IBS by the symptoms. Varying bowel movements from normal to loose, stomach pains, bloating from extra gas. This can be so many things it's hard to know without testing. Cancer, IBS, IBD, gastritis, Crohn's, an ulcer, Gluten Intolerence, Celiac, and more.

I've never had a colonoscopy, and I'm 67 (yes, I know) because I've always eaten very healthy and exercised. No excuse as genetics also play a role. No family member I know about has ever had colon or stomach cancer so I dilly dallied until now. My daughter at 37 had hers as she was also having some stomach issues. They removed quite a few polyps but she was clean. She changed her diet, added collagen, vitamins etc and already had stopped smoking. I don't smoke, drink very little and only drank wine for many years before I moved here so I also thought I was safe.

Saturday I stopped eating at 5PM. The only thing on Sunday was tea, water and chicken broth. Then came the prep. Two small bottles of sodium phosphate with water started the flow. It wasn't as bad as I heard.  I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy. Both clear, no polyps or cancer besides the test for H Pylori coming  up positive. I was actually hoping this was where the gastritis was from. They gave me two antibiotics and an antacid. Today, since I came home, things are better. The regimen usually eradicates H Pylori so I'm glad. H Pylori is nothing to ignore. It can lead to stomach cancer if left untreated, so it's a good idea if you're having gastro issues to look to that first.

Seems your issue here may have been the failure to have a following up test to ensure the first treatment worked.

It is normal to have another breath test after completing a treatment regimen for H. pylori. This follow-up test is typically done to ensure that the infection has been fully eradicated. The breath test, often a urea breath test, is usually performed at least four weeks after the completion of the treatment.

This follow-up is important because H. pylori can sometimes be resistant to treatment, and confirming its eradication helps prevent potential complications like ulcers or gastric cancer.

Do You Need a Repeat H. Pylori Test After Treatment? (medicinenet.com)

Just now, LosLobo said:

Seems your issue here may have been the failure to have a following up test to ensure the first treatment worked.

It is normal to have another breath test after completing a treatment regimen for H. pylori. This follow-up test is typically done to ensure that the infection has been fully eradicated. The breath test, often a urea breath test, is usually performed at least four weeks after the completion of the treatment.

This follow-up is important because H. pylori can sometimes be resistant to treatment, and confirming its eradication helps prevent potential complications like ulcers or gastric cancer.

Do You Need a Repeat H. Pylori Test After Treatment? (medicinenet.com)

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I wasn't sure I even had it before, so I went to that doctor. I should have had a followup. It usually doesn't come back once it's eradicated.