immigration officer asked calling me - Non immigrant -O

5 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

My retirement extension is done while I sit there and takes about an hour. There is no coming back in two weeks; it is all done at one sitting.

The OP is not applying for an extension based on retirement.

He is applying for a non O retirement from a visa exempt entry.

Most likely will have an under consideration period. 

When he subsequently applies for 12 months extension it will be granted on the spot. 

Provided financial requirements etc are met

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Color me confused.

You definitely are!

The OP isn't applying for an extension of his permit to stay.
To apply for a 1-year extension of stay, you must have Non Immigrant status (Non O).
The OP entered as a 'Tourist' and is applying for the Non Immigrant O, to facilitate then applying for the 1-year extension afterwards.

16 hours ago, OJAS said:

I am not aware of any other office which requires hand-drawn maps to your residence to be provided in support of - and, consequently, home visits to be performed in connection with - non-O visa conversion and annual extension of stay applications for retirement. So in this particular regard CW can justifiably be considered a rogue office IMHO.

Phuket asked for such (hand drawn map, and phone number to arrange visit to my condo) from me once when I was going for an extension on a Type-OA for reason of retirement.  Other years they (Phuket immigration) did not ask me for such.  Frankly, I was very surprised they asked for such as I thought it was only required for extensions for reason of marriage. 

Then late, when I changed the reason for my 1-year extension (under the Type-OA) from 'retirement' to 'marriage', they asked me to add them as a "Line" contact (on the "Line social media app"), and instead of doing a home visit, they asked me to phone them a couple of days later on "Line" (initiating a video chat) and they had me walk through my condo, showing them the interior, the number on my door, and at the street sign at the entrance to the condo.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

That could be it, because they are doing home visits on initial non-o Visa applications out there, I know several people applying for both retirement and marriage non O visa who had home inspections during the two week under review period

Once an immigration offices asked me pay 1000 thb, and he is arranging me, the 90 days report three times. This report is free. 

I can picture it now. OP comes back after 14 days to get non-imm O stamp and they say, no not approved, you forgot something in application, we tried to call you but you not answer or call back!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, atpeace said:

Even his mention of being asked before for tea money in Jomtien is without details.

Probably trying for a 90-day Non-O in Jomtien.  That person/office has been doing that for over a decade - reported multiple times as demanding 15K Baht cash for her to follow the written law / rules - or you don't get it.  I had this experience, also, and went to get a Non-O from Laos, to get around it. 

After that, the Marriage-Extension people were furious I had done this (I guess they get a cut), so kept adding "new requirements" on every visit/attempt, and abusing my wife with insults, until I gave up, went back to Laos, and got a Non-O-ME.  

I have always known the true nature of "Thailand Immigration" after that experience.  Once you know what they really are, you can be properly prepared to deal with them.

Retirement and Tourist extensions in Jomtien are easy / by-the-book, however.  They make a fortune on agent-business for those, so happy to process some "in person applications" by the book.

17 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

Probably trying for a 90-day Non-O in Jomtien.  That person/office has been doing that for over a decade - reported multiple times as demanding 15K Baht cash for her to follow the written law / rules - or you don't get it.  I had this experience, also, and went to get a Non-O from Laos, to get around it. 

After that, the Marriage-Extension people were furious I had done this (I guess they get a cut), so kept adding "new requirements" on every visit/attempt, and abusing my wife with insults, until I gave up, went back to Laos, and got a Non-O-ME.  

I have always known the true nature of "Thailand Immigration" after that experience.  Once you know what they really are, you can be properly prepared to deal with them.

Retirement and Tourist extensions in Jomtien are easy / by-the-book, however.  They make a fortune on agent-business for those, so happy to process some "in person applications" by the book.

I got a few in Jomtien and it wasn't  a pleasurable experience but other than that I got the visa. The lady never liked that it was based on marriage and continuously mentioned retirement is easier.  She was very unpleasant at times but had her nice moments.  It is what ultimately caused me to switch to retirement at age 51.  Happy she forced me to this because it is much easier every year wherever I'm applying in Thailand.  Still don't understand her issue with the visa based on marriage.  Don't they get kick backs for marriage?

Edited by atpeace

17 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I got a few in Jomtien and it wasn't  a pleasurable experience but other than that I got the visa. The lady never liked that it was based on marriage and continuously mentioned retirement is easier.  She was very unpleasant at times but had her nice moments.  It is what ultimately caused me to switch to retirement at age 51.  Happy she forced me to this because it is much easier every year wherever I'm applying in Thailand.  Still don't understand her issue with the visa based on marriage.  Don't they get kick backs for marriage?

Most marriage don't use agents, because it is MUCH more expensive than retirement-based, to cover the signature of the District sign-off.  Recently, a poster reported ~35K, vs 12.5K for retirement.  Most agents won't do this, as they lack connections at the district-level.  

OTOH, retirement is packed with agent-applications, and they figure sooner or later most will miss "topping up to 800K" by 1-day, or miss one monthly-transfer in-time, and they will get them into the agent-pipeline - even if their money/income totals are well above what is required.

12 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

Most marriage don't use agents, because it is MUCH more expensive than retirement-based, to cover the signature of the District sign-off.  Recently, a poster reported ~35K, vs 12.5K for retirement.  Most agents won't do this, as they lack connections at the district-level.  

OTOH, retirement is packed with agent-applications, and they figure sooner or later most will miss "topping up to 800K" by 1-day, or miss one monthly-transfer in-time, and they will get them into the agent-pipeline - even if their money/income totals are well above what is required.

That makes complete sense.  Knew there had to be a reason they were so lovely when I made the switch 🙂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No home visit would be required for 12 month extension based on retirement 

You should refrain from definitive statements, very little is cast in stone.

I did a retirement extension in Oct 2018 and when we did it they took my wife's phone number saying a home visit may be required. It was about a fortnight later they rung up and said they would be coming the following day. My wife just said we wouldn't be at home as we were off to Langkawi. They said to let them know when we were back and they came a few days after returning.

That was Sri Ratcha and the last retirement extension I did as the UK embassy stopped the letters.

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That was Sri Ratcha and the last retirement extension I did as the UK embassy stopped the letters.

I was quoting a guy that specifically 

Refered to CW.

Also the OP referenced CW.

I have never seen an extension based on retirement at CW have a home visit..

• Like 1

I think CW requires you to write your phone number on the TM7. I recall mid-2021 where this was added.

And that's how a certain visa agency was able to cold-call so many in the months leading up to their renewal. 

On 7/30/2024 at 2:12 PM, docinbangkok said:

Hi 

I was applying for a visa exempt to non immigrant O for retirement purposes at CW . the immigration officer said my documents all look complete and fine . then asked to make a missed call to a printed  mobile number on a paper on her desk  "in case there is a problem "

sure enough ,a half hour later ( lunch time ) i get a call from that number but i did not pick it up . no text message . i have a feeling i know what she wants , but i want to try to ignore any further calls and see if she would move on to an easier target .has this happened to anyone before , and how did you deal with it ? any suggestions would be very  appreciated . thank you 

The call made during lunchtime, private time, not business time.

Maybe she just fancies you!!!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Not isolated.

My IO informed me 2 years ago they were now required to conduct home visits for Non O applications, retirement or Thai spouse/family.

Never had such a visit.

Almost certainly the call was to arrange a home visit. CW is straight as a die and no tea money or agent BS there. I did conversion from Tourist Visa to NON-O Retirement at CW in early 2019. They called the next day to arrange a home visit. Never had any further visits on subsequent extensions. 

FWIW: I just don't understand why people are afraid to answer a call. If it is a scammer or someone you don't want to talk to, just tell them to Eff Off and block their number!

Edited by soi3eddie

On 7/30/2024 at 9:47 AM, docinbangkok said:

i think she wants "tea money ".  I was told , like everyone else to come back in 14 days for the visa , so i do not think she would call me a half hour later to tell me my visa was approved .

Her supervisor want a Pic of you at your flat, to prove your adress 😉

Happened to me, and there where pics at the house number with all family members and persons in the house book, one in dining room and one at kitchen 

35 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Almost certainly the call was to arrange a home visit. CW is straight as a die and no tea money or agent BS there. I did conversion from Tourist Visa to NON-O Retirement at CW in early 2019. They called the next day to arrange a home visit. Never had any further visits on subsequent extensions.

Agree on the call - they will do extensions w/o agents there - going through every step and piece of paperwork to do it.

But, the last time I was there, agents were running in with their clients, messaged an IO on their phone, jumped in between those with que-numbers, took a quick-pic and out the door - while I had to go through the rigamorole with the IO to get my extension.   Has this changed recently?   Agent service costs more there than some other offices, but they did quite the business.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...