Thai woman killed by stray bullet after neighbours’ dog dispute

COVER-PIC-2024-07-30T132258.jpg

Two Thai men engaged in a heated argument over a dog which led to the shooting and death of a 61 year old neighbour at a rented room in the southern province of Trang.

A 64 year old Thai man, Samran, was charged with intentional murder, attempted murder, and illegal possession of a gun after the death of a 61 year old woman named Prakiab, living in a rented room next to Samran’s rival, Somsuan.

Channel 7 reported that Somsuan’s young nephew threw a rock at Samran’s dog on Sunday, July 28, because the dog ran towards him and scared him. Samran then complained to the boy.

“Why throw a rock at it? Has it bitten you yet? F*ck!”

Samran and Somsuan argued before Samran left the scene on his sidecar motorcycle. However, the altercation did not end there, Samran soon returned to Somsuan’s rented room armed with a gun.

Upon seeing the weapon, Somsuan and other locals quickly fled to their rooms and shut the doors to avoid danger. Samran then opened fire but Somsuan was unable to reach his room in time.

In the ensuing chaos, Somsuan tried to seek refuge in Prakiab’s room. Despite Samran firing multiple shots at him, Somsuan managed to dodge the bullets. Unfortunately, one of the shots went through Prakiab’s wooden door and struck her in the head. A rescue team was called, and Prakiab was taken to hospital, where she later died.

Samran fled from the scene after the fatal shooting before surrendering at Mueang Trang Police Station later that day.

Samran’s wife revealed to Channel 7 that her husband loved his dog very much and took the best care of the animal. The wife added that Samran was a quiet person and had never argued with anyone before. The dog had never attacked or caused any trouble to people in the community either.

KomChadLuek reported that Samran covered his face with a paper when he was accompanied to the police station. He refused to give an interview to the police and stated that he would speak only in court.

By Petch Petpailin

Photo via KomChadLuek

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-07-30

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 8
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He refused to give an interview to the police and stated that he would speak only in court.

Using the word guilty I hope.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Using the word guilty I hope.

I hope not, but I hope he is found guilty then no stupid 50% discount.

Edit for the confused; In Thailand you get 50% off your sentence if you plead guilty.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritScot said:

Simple solution is always keep your dog on a lead in public.  

Not all dogs can/want to stay on a lead, a lot of Thai dogs necks are thicker than their head, and to keep them in a harness is just not practical. My dog will walk along with me, but if I try to put him on a lead him, he will  just pull backwards, or just run off.

• Like 1

When I moved to Thailand a long time ago, I was a staunch opponent of the death penalty. After many years here, I say that anyone who shoots a gun in public should be summarily executed within a week, and the same goes for murderers and rapists.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Not all dogs can/want to stay on a lead, a lot of Thai dogs necks are thicker than their head, and to keep them in a harness is just not practical. My dog will walk along with me, but if I try to put him on a lead him, he will  just pull backwards, or just run off.

Get it put down. Dogs shouldn't be off leash on the street. Used to be plenty around my joint. They have all mysteriously disappeared💀

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Samran’s wife revealed to Channel 7 that her husband loved his dog very much and took the best care of the animal. The wife added that Samran was a quiet person and had never argued with anyone before. The dog had never attacked or caused any trouble to people in the community either.

bla ... bla .... bla ...  well mrs Samran,  hubby will be going to prison for a while, you probably won't see him again. 

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“Why throw a rock at it? Has it bitten you yet?

Has he bitten you yet.?......that made me laugh.....every dog owners defence (I am a dog owner)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

bla ... bla .... bla ...  well mrs Samran,  hubby will be going to prison for a while, you probably won't see him again. 

Pound to a penny he won"t do more than four or five years.

On 7/30/2024 at 9:41 AM, snoop1130 said:

Somsuan tried to seek refuge in Prakiab’s room. Despite Samran firing multiple shots at him, Somsuan managed to dodge the bullets.

Aim practice is everything if you own a gun,,,,

• Like 1